• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First bolt gun; am I on the right track?

Buckeye Scott

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Looking to make a do-it-all bolt gun. Mainly will be shooting at 400yrd, but would like to be about to go out to 1k. Looking to spend 2k give or take on a setup. I have basic rcbs reloading equipment already.

Remington 5r in 308-1k
Burris xtr 6-24 or Sightron S3 6-24 md-800
Burris sig rings-have already
Egw 20 moa cant base-40
Harris 6x9 bipop-70

I only have the basic powder dispencer and 505 scale so I might look to upgrade those, but will see how I do before I spend the money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: First bolt gun; am I on the right track?

Go with the Sightron. I have two and they are the best in that price range at the moment. I would recommend thinking about upgrading the rings and base too. After seeing just how much the base and scope can flex under recoil, I have a new respect for spending a little more for more stout mounting materials.

why the sightron? the sightron has 50moa elevation and 50moa wind ajust, mildot with .1moa thick cross hair at max power, the burris has 79moa elevatoin 30 moa of windage .11 moa crosshair. Both have lifetime warrenty. Burris is made in US. I am sure eather will be fine, but looking for more info on scope selection.

I would say the rm r5 is a great starting point. If you are set to around 800 or so for optics I would seriously watch the classifieds here and ebay for a used leupold mk 4 or vari x III tactical as they can be had around that level. You may also consider one of the newer leupold vx111 lr scopes as they offer alot for the money. Are you going to keep the rifle ss of coat it in another finish?

Ebay has an auction for a as new nightforce 20moa base for a buy it now of around 80, I would go for that over the egw unless you spring for the all steel heavy duty version they sell.
Would also suggest getting dedicated picatiny style rings as weaver rings in picatiny slots have alot of room for movement in the slots.

If on a budget be patient and look for deals. May also hold out as 5r rifles pop up frequently here and usually have all the popular mods completed by reputable smiths at a good price savings Good luck

I appreciate all the imput so far. I am set on using the burris sig rings, what might be a better base to mount them on? and which scope and why?

Your on the right track with the Remington but for shooting at
400 yds the magnification seems a little high to me IMHO.
Good luck which ever way you go!!

well I decided on that high magnification so if I wanted to go out to 1k I would not have to change optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckeye Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I decided on that high magnification so if I wanted to go out to 1k I would not have to change optics. </div></div>

Thats good to think about future needs keep you from having to buy
another scope. The more research you do the more money you save.