• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First bolt gun, Howa 1500 B/A

Frog05

Sure Shot Night Vision
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Southern Illinois
Im building a bolt gun for my brother for when he comes home on leave. I just wanted to run my build list by you guys and see what you all think. We are working off of a budget. I’ve never ran any of these products but I’m trying to do my homework and get him into a solid rifle at his price point. Thanks for the help in advance!

-Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells 6.5 creedmoor heavy 24” threaded

-MDT LSS-XL gen 2 chassis, fixed stock

-MDT Skeleton stock

-MDT pistol grip

-MDT 20moa scope base

-APA little bastard brake.

You have done well with that list. Your brother should be happy.

Reactions: Frog05
I'm sure your brother would be happy with that setup.

You probably don't need the brake.

Consider the ESS for a few more dollars.

All good choices.

Looks good to me! What’s your goal for the build, target shooting, hunting, competition? Do you have an optic in mind?

Consider the ESS for a few more dollars.
Thanks Hawk, ya I think I can get him into an ESS for pretty close to what the LSS-xl was going to cost and gain a whole lot of modularity with it. Any recommendations on the rail? I’m looking at the full top rail 15”

Looks good to me! What’s your goal for the build, target shooting, hunting, competition? Do you have an optic in mind?
Mainly punching paper and banging steel, coyote hunting and if he ever wants to dive into competition I think it would be a good starter rifle.
No optic yet (military pay sucks) so I’m going to let him use my gen II Razor while he’s in to try out. Hopefully by sometime next year he can have some glass on it

Reactions: Jackalope
Thanks Hawk, ya I think I can get him into an ESS for pretty close to what the LSS-xl was going to cost and gain a whole lot of modularity with it. Any recommendations on the rail? I’m looking at the full top rail 15”

The MDT rails have worked very well on my Ess chassis.

That's a good setup w ESS. Is your brother an avid shooter?

If so, then only thing I'd personally change would be to ditch the brake at first because of the additional, unnecessary startup cost. For his uses there seems a decent argument for having one eventually, but starting out it seems like that could wait as the recoil is quite manageable.

If he's a.d. mil there's all sorts of lucrative discounts from various optics manufacturers.

The MDT is a fine product, but if you are truly working within a budget, the KRG Bravo is very hard to beat.
You can even get the package through brownells.
This would leave you with more money for glass and accessories

I'll add a +1 to the Bravo. Pretty fantastic chassis for not a bad price. And the amount of accessories that KRG offers for it makes upgrades incredibly easy later on down the road.

Good advice on the Bravo @fdkay & @etn2type. I’ll send him the info on the two chassis and let him decide which one he wants. Like I said before I don’t have any experience with either one but from what I’ve read I think he will be happy with either way. His gun, his choice.
@b6graham agreed on the brake! Lol
Once again, thank you all for the feedback!

Well, i finished up the build for my brother.
-Howa 1500 24” heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor
- MDT ESS with skeleton stock, and arca rail
-Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake

I’ve got my optics and bipod on it until he gets his funds built back up lol. Went together great, no issues. i like this rig so much that I’m gonna get one myself.
Thank you all for your input on this build, I’m sure he is going to love it!

981D357B-83EC-4988-AA62-578F2CCEE5D6.png
EF567185-2494-4477-B85E-A7AECDCD10D5.png

You do realize that you're now stuck using MDT's own plastic magazines, and nothing else, in that chassis?

@308pirate Is this going to be a deal breaker with any factory ammo? I’ve ran Prime 130’s no problem but I haven’t tried anything else. I don’t foresee my brother handloading anytime soon (if ever).

@308pirate Is this going to be a deal breaker with any factory ammo? I’ve ran Prime 130’s no problem but I haven’t tried anything else. I don’t foresee my brother handloading anytime soon (if ever).
I don't have a clue as I don't have any MDT plastic 308 mags.

On another note, those are some pretty fantastic pictures you have of it. These done yourself? I dabble in amateur photography myself. Both of my hobbies have expensive glass...

@etn2type Thank you. Yes, those are my pics. I’ve been jumping into photography over the last two or three months. This photography stuff is expensive! Makes it tough to follow the advice of @ArmyJerry and buy more ammo.........but I do anyways