• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Build Need Advice. Help a Noob Out.

LouisianaShooter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
New to SH this is my first post, although I've been trolling these treads for some years now. This will be my first bolt action rifle build and it will be sort-of a budget build. Here a is a list of the parts that I am ordering. Please give me feedback on what you think or any opinions.

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 Riflescope w/ EBR-2C Ret MRAD FFP
Vortex Precision Matched Rings Medium Height (not 100% sure on ring height)
Seekins Precision Remington 700, SA, 20 MOA, #6 Screws
Vortex Bubble Level 34mm
KRG X-Ray Chassis R700 Short Action Small Grips Black
KRG Bolt Lift SV Black
AAC Single Chamber Muzzle Brake 5/8-24
Timney Calvin Elite

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 4.5-27 and the 3-18 HD Gen II. I'm spending significantly more on my optics than rifle because I plan on keeping the optic regardless if I decide to upgrade the rifle or change calibers.

I will be making hand loads with Hornady A-max 178gn & IMR4064.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
nice choice on parts. look at the 178 bthp by hornady compared to the amax much higher bc. but if you are not shooting that far it wont matter too much.

With those parts, I wouldn't exactly call that a budget a build. You'll be more than good to go with that setup. My only critique is the bolt knob (personal preference). I'm sure the KRG is a great option for people truly on a budget, but if you're going to be spending around $4,000 on a setup, spend the $70-$100 and have an aftermarket knob properly installed. As for the optic, I would go with the 27X. I kind of view like horsepower to an extent. You don't always have to use it all, but it's nice to know you have more on hand.

4064 is a good powder for 308 but it's difficult to meter, if you're lucky try and find some varget. My load with 4064 is around 42gr 175 SMK with Lapua Brass and BR-2 Primers. I believe the MK316 round runs 4064 at 41.78gr with federal brass and primers

With those parts, I wouldn't exactly call that a budget a build. You'll be more than good to go with that setup. My only critique is the bolt knob (personal preference). I'm sure the KRG is a great option for people truly on a budget, but if you're going to be spending around $4,000 on a setup, spend the $70-$100 and have an aftermarket knob properly installed. As for the optic, I would go with the 27X. I kind of view like horsepower to an extent. You don't always have to use it all, but it's nice to know you have more on hand.

Yeah I think I'm going to get the 27x. I'm calling it a sort of budget build because I'm getting the glass at a ridiculously cheap price and instead of going whiskey 3 I'm going X-Ray, instead of getting a surgeon action with krieger barrel going factory SPS AAC ect...

I have access to a mill and I'm going to thread the bolt on my own and add a badger knob. The krg bolt lift will get me through until I have time to do that.

I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
4064 is a good powder for 308 but it's difficult to meter, if you're lucky try and find some varget. My load with 4064 is around 42gr 175 SMK with Lapua Brass and BR-2 Primers. I believe the MK316 round runs 4064 at 41.78gr with federal brass and primers
Only going with 4064 because I already have that on hand. I'm going to try to get some Varget but you know that goes these days...What type of projectile are you using or suggest?

New to SH this is my first post, although I've been trolling these treads for some years now. This will be my first bolt action rifle build and it will be sort-of a budget build. Here a is a list of the parts that I am ordering. Please give me feedback on what you think or any opinions.

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 Riflescope w/ EBR-2C Ret MRAD FFP
Vortex Precision Matched Rings Medium Height (not 100% sure on ring height)
Seekins Precision Remington 700, SA, 20 MOA, #6 Screws
Vortex Bubble Level 34mm
KRG X-Ray Chassis R700 Short Action Small Grips Black
KRG Bolt Lift SV Black
AAC Single Chamber Muzzle Brake 5/8-24
Timney Calvin Elite

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 4.5-27 and the 3-18 HD Gen II. I'm spending significantly more on my optics than rifle because I plan on keeping the optic regardless if I decide to upgrade the rifle or change calibers.

I will be making hand loads with Hornady A-max 178gn & IMR4064.

Thanks in Advance.

This budget seems rather large for a "budget build" I would recommend against the aac-sd tactical... With this budget, you might as well spend a few more $$$ and get a nice trued up barreled action from the EE. The AAC-SD Tactical is OK, but for the amount of money you are forking over you could spend just a little more and get something better. Just my thought, other than that your parts list looks great.

What I am getting at is for not much more I have a complete rifle being built by Jon Beanland from a Surgeon action.

This budget seems rather large for a "budget build" I would recommend against the aac-sd tactical... With this budget, you might as well spend a few more $$$ and get a nice trued up barreled action from the EE. The AAC-SD Tactical is OK, but for the amount of money you are forking over you could spend just a little more and get something better. Just my thought, other than that your parts list looks great.

What I am getting at is for not much more I have a complete rifle being built by Jon Beanland from a Surgeon action.

I think he would be hard pressed to find a custom barreled action for $650. I wouldn't discount the AAC-SD. It may be a bit of a gamble depending on what day it was built, but my stock ACC-SD barreled action in an AICS shoots .5 MOA or better. If he is looking at the X-ray chassis ($590) and an AAC-SD ($650) he's spending about $1,240 for rifle. That's about the cost of just the Surgeon action. If you are getting a complete Surgeon build for $1,240, everyone shoot be buying it.

I think you missed the part where I said it would cost $$$ more. I also never said my build was running me $1,240... I based everything off of the cost of his build which is a whole lot more then your $1,240.

To get this back on topic and not into a pointless pissing match. If you can afford it, there have been several quality built barreled actions in the classifieds and while they may cost exactly $1,240 or even a little more I think you would be happier than if you settled on a factory barreled action.

Your build would run you roughly 4,250? And mine with a Surgeon action will run only about $300 more. Just something to think about.

I think you missed the part where I said it would cost $$$ more. I also never said my build was running me $1,240... I based everything off of the cost of his build which is a whole lot more then your $1,240.

To get this back on topic and not into a pointless pissing match. If you can afford it, there have been several quality built barreled actions in the classifieds and while they may cost exactly $1,240 or even a little more I think you would be happier than if you settled on a factory barreled action.

Your build would run you roughly 4,250? And mine with a Surgeon action will run only about $300 more. Just something to think about.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match at all. You said for "not much more." I guesstimated $1,240 for only the AAC-SD and KRG stock. With optic he is probably about $4,250. If your custom Surgeon build with a similar optic is only $300 more, you're getting a hell of deal and he should look into something similar.

Last edited:
Only going with 4064 because I already have that on hand. I'm going to try to get some Varget but you know that goes these days...What type of projectile are you using or suggest?

175 Sierra Match King (SMK) is what I have, I am fortunate I have several thousand 175 SMK and about 40lbs of Varget and a shit ton of all different types of primers.