• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes First build - need advice

stonecoldnuts

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
I am interested in building a precision rifle. I really like the HOWA 1500 barrelled actions, however, it seems that the chassis manufacturer (MDT H3S) claims that there are slight modifications that need to be made for the magazines to work properly. I definitely just want to buy an action and chassis and have them fit without the need for any modifications. The purpose of the rifle is target shooting mostly at 100 yards with a max of 300 yards as that is the longest range I have available. I have settled on 308.

Has anyone built a rifle like this and had it fit without any special modifications? Any chassis recommendations? Should I pick a different action?

Max of 300 yards? Howa barreled actions will do it. As will pretty much any other brand out there. I don't know why MDT states that but there are plenty of chassis systems out there for Howa if you want to go another route. I am a KRG fan myself. You can also find Remington barreled actions with chassis on:
https://www.eurooptic.com/remington-700-rifle-chassis-kits.aspx

Depending on your budget.

A remington 700 clone will provide a lot more chassis and everything else options in general

if you can find a chassis you'd be happy with first, Howa makes good rifles but know the aftermarket support is very limited in comparison

I am interested in building a precision rifle. I really like the HOWA 1500 barrelled actions, however, it seems that the chassis manufacturer (MDT H3S) claims that there are slight modifications that need to be made for the magazines to work properly. I definitely just want to buy an action and chassis and have them fit without the need for any modifications. The purpose of the rifle is target shooting mostly at 100 yards with a max of 300 yards as that is the longest range I have available. I have settled on 308.

Has anyone built a rifle like this and had it fit without any special modifications? Any chassis recommendations? Should I pick a different action?

Hell man, if your only gonna shoot 300 yards, just pick up a Tikka CTR or Tac A1 in 6.5 creed and be done with it, save yourself some money.

Bergara HMR. If you end up not liking the stock, its a 700 clone and you'll have a lot of options.

Or if you want to build up something, but still be budget minded....go to whittakers and buy a Tikka T3X, sell the barrel/stock and get a PVA prefit barrel and whatever chassis you want. Should be pretty good for the price and give you the satisfaction of putting it together yourself.

Whittakers has great pricing on Tikkas. DO NOT sell the barrel off your gun.

Sako makes the Tikka barrels and they are very very good factory barrels. PVA is great for when you shoot out your factory barrel, but it's a damn fine barrel right off the bat. Unless you're traveling for comps and regularly in the top 10, stick with the factory barrel off a Tikka

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Ditto on Dthomas3523 comment. I have a Tikka T3x and confident enough with it to take 4 or 500yd shots no problem with no modifications. I would still have the action checked by a precision guy and have it trued and bushinged if your going to go to the trouble to rebarrel. And if you swap out the stock, go with a used T3. The only changes from the T3 to T3x were a metal bolt shroud, stock filler and a steel recoil lug. Good luck!

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Ditto on Dthomas3523 comment. I have a Tikka T3x and confident enough with it to take 4 or 500yd shots no problem with no modifications. I would still have the action checked by a precision guy and have it trued and bushinged if your going to go to the trouble to rebarrel. And if you swap out the stock, go with a used T3. The only changes from the T3 to T3x were a metal bolt shroud, stock filler and a steel recoil lug. Good luck!

Also enlarged ejection port, improved rail attachment, interchangeable grip panels and improved checkering/texture. All here:
http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x

I would recommend a savage 12FV from cabelas at a really fair price. Y
695BDB3A-3282-4307-9B55-BBD81AE6E405.png
ou would be surprised by the accuracy right out of the box and there is a fair selection of aftermarket parts for them. (You can get it in .308)You can spend some on a stock and the rest on a decent optic and you will have 800 yard gun that you can shoot out to 300 all day no problem. Truthfully you wouldn’t even need to upgrade the stock for 300 yard shooting but that would be the first thing that you should upgrade if you have the money to do so. The accutrigger is fairly nice for the price also. Here is an example of prices on a budget build with a 12FV.

Savage 12fv 419 plus a mail in rebate right now
Egw scope base. 50ish
Scope rings of your choice 100+\-
Stock of your choice. ?
I would look at MPA if you want a chassis
You could also look at bell and carlson, H&S, manners, Mcmillin....... there are lots of options this would come down mostly to price.
Optics I would say something in the 4 to 16 power range if you think your going to shoot mostly 300 and Under. Burris and Vortex are two brands that I have had good luck with.
You could do a vortex strike eagle or something along that line at a fair price. 449on sale right now.

Attachments

• 319A4074-1031-4729-95AA-F0442A6CDCD1.png
    319A4074-1031-4729-95AA-F0442A6CDCD1.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: stonecoldnuts
Also, check out mrgunsngear's facebook page. You can find cabela giftcards for 80% of face value. (20% off)

Last edited:
Reactions: StlSavageShooter
I was shooting prairie dogs out to 500+ yards with a totally stock 12FV in 22-250 in Wyoming last October. My setup was egw 20moa base Burris signature series rings and a Burris veracity 3-15 power scope. I was shooting Federal American Eagle cheap ammo. I took this setup just to see how well I could do with a very inexpensive setup. I actually shot this more then I did my other more expensive setups lol.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I know I’m a little biased to savage but I think they are over looked by many people.

Hell man, if your only gonna shoot 300 yards, just pick up a Tikka CTR or Tac A1 in 6.5 creed and be done with it, save yourself some money.
How do those Tikkas compare to the Howa HCR? I think i prefer the heavier barrel and twist rate on the HOWA, but I am new and don't really know what I'm talking about lol.

The 12FV is a pretty decent deal, but I HATE Savages having owned one. QC and customer service... ugh.

Get the a Tikka with mags & a heavy barrel in .308

Inside of 600, there's not point in paying more $$$ for ammo getting the same result unless you're shooting match ammo all the time. (less recoil with 6.5CM though)

The 12FV is a pretty decent deal, but I HATE Savages having owned one. QC and customer service... ugh.

Get the a Tikka with mags & a heavy barrel in .308

Inside of 600, there's not point in paying more $$$ for ammo getting the same result unless you're shooting match ammo all the time. (less recoil with 6.5CM though)
Which tikka 308 has the heaviest barrel...like #6 contour?

The Tikka barrel is cold hammer forged and basically made on the same line as Sako. The barrel's are as good as they get from a factory rifle. I think Kreiger toured the factory and bore scoped them and basically claimed they are as clean as custom. Just my 2 cents. :)