• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos First Build...with help of a retired SEAL at Crane

breezernate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Johnson City, TN
www.schwaniger.pro
Thanks to Hide members for parts.

20-lb. rifle with scope, bipod, and sling. Smooth shooter with little recoil. Homemade suppressor coming soon.

To naysayers who told me not to bother building a rifle, enjoy the photos. This is my first build. It shoots well, too. I am still tuning loads, but it is a decent shooter so far.

Rem 700 Stainless trued by Nor Cal Precision.

Gunsmithing by Phil McMillen at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, IN. At his house, not at work!

Lilja match barrel in stainless, 25 inch length, 1.25 inch diameter bull profile. Duracoat OD green by me.

Desert Tactical Arms brake with 3/4-24 thread.

Bell and Carlson tactical stock, Duracoat by me.

Bushnell Scope Elete 4200 3-12x44 mildot Mil/Mil front focal plane.

Seekins 20 MOA rail and rings.

Badger M5 bottom metal with AI 5-round mag.

1.25" width adjustable sling.

Parker Hale bipod.

Bolt knob by Evolution Gun Works, installed myself.

Re: New Build Photos

why is there two holes in your bolt? Just curious, other then that nice build...

I have no idea why the two holes in the bolt exist. I bought the bolt and receiver used from a guy on the Hide. My gunsmith says some people do that to trim weight? I haven't checked into it. It shoots great, so I haven't messed with it. I don't think it is a safety issue?

Nate

how do you like the stock.i have been thinking about getting one for my 338 rum.nice rifle!

I am not an experienced shooter and have nothing to compare the Bell and Carlson stock to except a couple of factory wooden stocks. I like the stock very well. The palm is very large, and the pistol grip upright, so it keeps my wrist and trigger finger very relaxed. The only thing I would changes is to make it adjustable on the fly. The settings are set and forget. The shape and feel is nice, and the stock is heavy and very rigid with a good bedding area. It is not a flexible paper-thin stock like you see on some factory plastic guns. My right knuckle contacts the underside of the bolt knob when firing prone, which I don't like, but I can live with it. It does keep the bolt handy for follow-ups.

Well, if looks count for anything, it looks fantastic! Well done and congratulations on your build. Have fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why is there two holes in your bolt? Just curious, other then that nice build... </div></div>

Felipe I think those holes are to let gas out the side of the bolt instead of the back where you eye ball is.

The rifle is shooting great with 155 grain Hornady Amax factory ammo. The rifle has almost no recoil thanks to the heavy barrel and the brake.

I enjoyed the Duracoating job. I used stencils and my airbrush. I tried to copy the MARPAT pattern somewhat, but used larger blocks of color.

More on the holes:

Does anybody know if Remington ever shipped bolts with the two holes? I bought the action used, so I suppose the previous owner added the holes?

By the way, do I understand correctly that the only gases to escape those holes should be what accidentally comes through the firing pin hole in case of a problem such as a ruptured casing, right? Am I missing something? Do gases come out each time? I haven't noticed any.

Nate

What's the legnth of pull on that thing? Are these stocks so short that you have to have the butt extended like that?

I have seen bolts with gas holes in them it use to be very common
usually they are directed into the magazine

Nice rifle thanks for taking time to post pics , so when can we expect a range report ??

Length of pull = 14.5 inches
I am 6'3" with long skinny arms. Long feels great to me.

Thanks for comments, vents toward the magazine sound helpful.

So far I have shot several 5-shot groups at 100 yards of under 1/2 inch, some under that with holes touching. I did that with 155g, 168g, and 175g match factory ammo. I'll find out more when I get around to stretching her out to 300+ yards.

Nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigNate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Length of pull = 14.5 inches
I am 6'3" with long skinny arms. Long feels great to me.

Thanks for comments, vents toward the magazine sound helpful.

So far I have shot several 5-shot groups at 100 yards of under 1/2 inch, some under that with holes touching. I did that with 155g, 168g, and 175g match factory ammo. I'll find out more when I get around to stretching her out to 300+ yards.

Nate</div></div>

Glad you like the stock. I got a Bell and Carlson for my Savage tactical and love it.

Very nice looking rifle BTW!

As for the vents I prefer them to be on the side not down through the magazine. Just something to me about spraying your ammo with hot gas un-nerves me a bit. Most all Mausers have them facing down as well as the Win 70, pre and post '64. Savage has them vent downward but also has a hole drilled on the side of the action.

It's not a Manners, or McMillan or AI but it shoots plenty well for me. I am sure comfort may be better with the others, but after my custom cheekpiece grinding mod, the B&C fits me like a glove. The cheekpiece was way too flat and fat on top.

To shoot that well with factory ammo both pleases and surprises me.

Nate

Good job for your first build. That looks great especially the dura coat job you did.