• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Bull with a Bow! Colorado 2013

coelk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2009
Colorado
Well, I am pumped to have tagged out, but at the same time I still want to be in the woods! Either way it's been a great experience, this is my first bull with a bow!

Attachments

• 2013bull2web.jpg
    2013bull2web.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2013bull1web.jpg
    2013bull1web.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 12
Congrats Sir!!
Looks like lots of fun and some mighty good eating as well!

I was in a great little elk honey hole with springs, creeks, muddy wallows, steep meadows and dark timber. The elk were bulging one night right above me, causing a ruckus and tearing things up. I snuck in and got close, but darkness set in and I just sat and listened to the bugling madness. The bulls must have left that particular area because the next few days were quiet with no action at all. Sunday the 8th, on a afternoon hunt, I slowly made my way back to where the bulls had been. I snuck up to a small spring and just took a break, listened and was planning my next move, when suddenly a bull walked out of the timber right in front of me! I was tucked into some spruces and aspens, kneeling as I slowly knocked an arrow. The bull walked to my left around a rock and I ranged him at 30 yards. He took a few more steps as I came to full draw and he caught the movement. I had plenty of time to settle in, pick a spot and whack!!! Got him in the lungs. About an hour later I tip toed across the meadow and saw him dead in the timber not 100 yards away. Now I know there are some bruiser bulls out there right now, but any elk is better than no elk! Took me about 6 hours to get him back to the truck. Damn good time and I'm truly bummed its over! haha

I was in a great little elk honey hole with springs, creeks, muddy wallows, steep meadows and dark timber. The elk were bulging one night right above me, causing a ruckus and tearing things up. I snuck in and got close, but darkness set in and I just sat and listened to the bugling madness. The bulls must have left that particular area because the next few days were quiet with no action at all. Sunday the 8th, on a afternoon hunt, I slowly made my way back to where the bulls had been. I snuck up to a small spring and just took a break, listened and was planning my next move, when suddenly a bull walked out of the timber right in front of me! I was tucked into some spruces and aspens, kneeling as I slowly knocked an arrow. The bull walked to my left around a rock and I ranged him at 30 yards. He took a few more steps as I came to full draw and he caught the movement. I had plenty of time to settle in, pick a spot and whack!!! Got him in the lungs. About an hour later I tip toed across the meadow and saw him dead in the timber not 100 yards away. Now I know there are some bruiser bulls out there right now, but any elk is better than no elk! Took me about 6 hours to get him back to the truck. Damn good time and I'm truly bummed its over! haha

That is a great story. Well done and killing anything with a bow, let alone a bull, is a serious accomplishment. The only downside? Rifle hunting becomes a joke after you bow hunt for a while.

IMO, that 2.5 yr old, maybe 3.5 yr old will taste so much better than any 6x6 I have ever eaten, mine or a buddies. The big antlers are cool, but I like to enjoy the elk I am eating. I ended up with a nice 6x6 3 yrs ago and he was good, but enjoy a young bull or cow elk way more. Awesome to tag out early, to keep hiking/hunting when you can, use a small game license and some bludgeon tips and smack some ptarmigan. They are tasty!
Life is too busy for me to take up bow hunting right now, hopefully once the kid is a little older. Looks like an awesome challenge.
Elija

Nicely done! I still haven't taken an elk with a bow and it's really grinding me that I'm missing the season again. Congrats!

Awesome job, coelk! I can't wait to get enough preference points to get my shot in WY.

Fantastic, congratulations! Elk hunting PERIOD is really high on my list, doing it with a bow would just be that much better. I started bowhunting whitetails last year and I'm super exited for my first day in the stand this coming week. Tagging a bull elk with a bow... way to go!

Good for you. Being successful hunting elk with a bow requires a lot to come together, you did well.

Thanks! I appreciate all the comments! Now here is the trophy pic; freezer is full!!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 15
Congrats! Archery bull elk is my favorite hunt. It is a great sense of accomplishment when you knock one down. Then the real work starts...
Enjoy!