• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Chassis rifle

ofl0926

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2018
Homestead, FL
I’m looking to get a rifle in a chassis. Could come from the manufacture ready or I have a tikka t3x stainless in 6.5 creed. I dont mind using the tikka I have right now. its brand new. I’m not looking to shoot matches but have something to take to the range and send lead down range. What do you guys think or suggest? My closest range has a 500 yard range but I do plan on traveling to one that has 1000 once all this crap is over

Chassis I have looked at
Oryx
KRG bar or xray
I was looking at MDT, costly

thanks again

I have and like the following.
MPA
MDT ACC
KRG BRAVO

If the MPA and MDT are out of budget the bravo is nice.

I would shoot the tikka with your chassis of choice and if you find you like it rebarrel it with a heavier barrel for range duty and keep the pencil barrel for hunting.

I have and like the following.
MPA
MDT ACC
KRG BRAVO

If the MPA and MDT are out of budget the bravo is nice.

I would shoot the tikka with your chassis of choice and if you find you like it rebarrel it with a heavier barrel for range duty and keep the pencil barrel for hunting.

thanks for the quick reply
Yeah it’s a little out of the budget. I just keep them there incase everything else is crap and not worth it. Just trying to find the right fit for my needs and shooting.

Reactions: bgavin
Cadex Lite Strike in sniper grey...

Attachments

• 352B7CF4-0A14-4195-A915-8CFB4C9048BF.png
    352B7CF4-0A14-4195-A915-8CFB4C9048BF.png
    954.5 KB · Views: 74
thanks for the quick reply
Yeah it’s a little out of the budget. I just keep them there incase everything else is crap and not worth it. Just trying to find the right fit for my needs and shooting.

the bravo is definitely not crap. I love mine.

U cant beat them for the money.

the bravo is definitely not crap. I love mine.

U cant beat them for the money.

that is what I gather from what I am reading. The X-ray is out of stock but they do have the bravo in stock. The oryx does intrigue me as well.

I bought the KRG Bravo for my Tikka T1x .22 lr. I am impressed enough with it I am looking to buy another for Rem700 based action.
Another $250 or so and you can add the adjustable butt. Sounds high but puts you inline with other chassis that have adjustable length.
My others are a Ruger RPR and a Magpul Pro and I have shot a few others. Bravo fits me well and just feels good. YMMV.

I bought the KRG Bravo for my Tikka T1x .22 lr. I am impressed enough with it I am looking to buy another for Rem700 based action.
Another $250 or so and you can add the adjustable butt. Sounds high but puts you inline with other chassis that have adjustable length.
My others are a Ruger RPR and a Magpul Pro and I have shot a few others. Bravo fits me well and just feels good. YMMV.

thanks for the honest input

I've had a krg bravo on my tikka t3 I now have a whiskey 3 with enclosed forend. The only reason I changed to the whiskey 3 is having the pistol grip makes it easier to move around a barricade stage. I shot the best group I have ever shot at 300 doing load development with the rifle in the bravo so you give nothing away as far as accuracy and I liked it better for prone shooting

Cadex Lite Strike in sniper grey...

Sounds like yours in on the same shipment (19th) as my Field Competition, also in sniper gray.

To the OP, I have 2 Oryx, and an MPA in addition to the Cadex that's coming. If you're on a budget the MPA and the Cadex are not for you. I would highly recommend taking your Tikka and putting it in either an Oryx or a KRG Bravo. Either way you'd have a rig that wont break the bank that will easily take you to 1000 yards and beyond.

May be an unpopular opinion but the chassis will not make you shoot better. Yes you will be comfy but I firmly believe a $600 chassis will do the job out to 1k that a $1200 one would. Take the money saved and invest more in a barrel, glass, or a good training course.

thank you for all the advice
Sounds like yours in on the same shipment (19th) as my Field Competition, also in sniper gray.

To the OP, I have 2 Oryx, and an MPA in addition to the Cadex that's coming. If you're on a budget the MPA and the Cadex are not for you. I would highly recommend taking your Tikka and putting it in either an Oryx or a KRG Bravo. Either way you'd have a rig that wont break the bank that will easily take you to 1000 yards and beyond.

thank you for your input. I’ve pretty much narrowed it to the krg bravo or the oryx.

May be an unpopular opinion but the chassis will not make you shoot better. Yes you will be comfy but I firmly believe a $600 chassis will do the job out to 1k that a $1200 one would. Take the money saved and invest more in a barrel, glass, or a good training course.

I respect that. I have a bushnell lrts scope going on the rifle. Good training course will be tough especially with COVID-19 still around and me heading down range in January. Traveling will be tough. You mention a $600 chassis doing what a $1200 could. I’ve narrowed it to the krg bravo and oryx. Unless there is something else you recommend?

I mentioned the XLR chassis...i have older gen element on a rem700 sps 308. No issues out to 800m. Take a good barrel and better caliber...would be definitely capable out to 1200+

With the KRG bravo, what additional accessories would you get with it?
I see that the oryx is pretty complete

I mentioned the XLR chassis...i have older gen element on a rem700 sps 308. No issues out to 800m. Take a good barrel and better caliber...would be definitely capable out to 1200+

what made you pick this chassis vs other like krg or oryx? Advantages?

Honestly price. When I built that rifle I was on a budget. Its very simple. Takes any ar style buffer tube so buttstock can be swapped. You can buy folder adapter. Very solid simple design. They have great accessory products too.

Attachments

• 20200508_144412.jpg
    20200508_144412.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 54
Just got my Howa 1500 6.5 CM Oryx chassis in today. It’s solid. Like you, I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion the Oryx is the best bang for the buck. I got the whole think for around 965. This is my first chassis rifle, so take this as needed. I purchased 3 Magpul AICS mags and it comes with one MDT mag. The mag well is not very generous and it a bit of a pain to get the feel for it. I’ve seen where in reviews, people show the mag well being sloppy. Mine is not, it’s pretty tight. I also had to shave off some of the feed lips to properly clear the bolt. It’s super smooth feeding now. The mags do not drop out on their own either. This may change with use. Other than that, it’s real nice.

Just got my Howa 1500 6.5 CM Oryx chassis in today. It’s solid. Like you, I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion the Oryx is the best bang for the buck. I got the whole think for around 965. This is my first chassis rifle, so take this as needed. I purchased 3 Magpul AICS mags and it comes with one MDT mag. The mag well is not very generous and it a bit of a pain to get the feel for it. I’ve seen where in reviews, people show the mag well being sloppy. Mine is not, it’s pretty tight. I also had to shave off some of the feed lips to properly clear the bolt. It’s super smooth feeding now. The mags do not drop out on their own either. This may change with use. Other than that, it’s real nice.

thanks for the honest review.

would love to see a picture of it if possible

Reactions: dieseltech82
have any pictures? how did you setup them up? which stock?
The element comes with the stock thats pictured. You can however swap it out for an AR buffer tube and add whatever ar stock you want. Its very modular

Reactions: ofl0926
sounds like a great plan to me keep it simple , cheap and fun and enjoy your self if in a few years you decide to upgrade or try something entirely different you will at least have the tika to hold you over till you can save enough down the road I really hope it provides you many years of great times .

Last edited:
The element comes with the stock thats pictured. You can however swap it out for an AR buffer tube and add whatever ar stock you want. Its very modular

which stock comes with the base model? I am looking on their website and the "NO BS" stock shows a circle and a line through it. Is that the stock that is picture?

sounds like a great plan to me keep it simple , cheap and fun and enjoy your self if in a few years you decide to upgrade or try something entiraly different you will at least have the tika to hold you over till you can save enough down the road I really hope it provides you many years of great times .

hopefully!!!

^^^ same question.....
Ok so haven't bought from them in awhile but the TR 2 is the standard buttstock. It adds like 125 to the price. Good quality product though...magazine release is very solid. New models come with mlok thru out as well as qd points

anyone else want to shed some light and offer input/advice?
I have an Oryx and it's a little iffy with Magpul AICS pattern mags, they are a little hard to seat. I also would prefer adjustments to LOP / cheek riser that dont require tools and spacers. But....its a great chassis at a reasonable price so take what you can get.

Another XLR fan here. I have several of their chassis and I’ve been very pleased. Love the degree of adjustability to the butt stock (I’m 6’0” 225 and my 11yr old and I can share the same rifle for NRL22 even w/ a huge difference in our length of pull). I also prefer their multipoint radial inlet as opposed to the V-block almost everyone else uses. Lot’s of pretty good options out there though.

Ok so haven't bought from them in awhile but the TR 2 is the standard buttstock. It adds like 125 to the price. Good quality product though...magazine release is very solid. New models come with mlok thru out as well as qd points

I appreciate the info. I like the setup they make. any other accessories you recommend getting?

I have an Oryx and it's a little iffy with Magpul AICS pattern mags, they are a little hard to seat. I also would prefer adjustments to LOP / cheek riser that dont require tools and spacers. But....its a great chassis at a reasonable price so take what you can get.

I appreciate the honest feedback

I'd also like to say for anyone interested in the Oryx that pretty much everywhere you can buy it only comes with ODG panels. If you want FDE you can get the chassis from eabco.net for the same price with the FDE.

Not sure if you made your decision yet or not. I was playing around with my mags. I used my knife to shave the feed lips and some off the top front of the mags and they seat much easier. This may be limited to poly mags only as I don’t have steel to compare to. I also would like a lighter spring on the mag release but maybe all chassis are stiff? It’s my first chassis rifle and so it’s all new for me.