• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Civilian Rifle, First Bolt Action, Advice?

GlennMerkle

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening ladies and gentlemen,

I am a Marine looking at purchasing his first rifle. I have been looking at a Savage Stevens 200 Short chambered in .308. Do you have any recommendations for both Iron Sights/Scopes, Parts...Ect?

R/S
Glenn Merkle

Re: First Civilian Rifle, First Bolt Action, Advice?

What are you looking to do with it? What is your budget? More info is needed before any competent advice can be given.

Budget is $500 or less, it will be used for hunting and the occasional target shoot.

I think if you add another 0 to your budget you'll be gtg

I can't afford 5000 bucks for a cannon. I prefer functionality over style. A simple rifle to hunt and target shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlennMerkle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't afford 5000 bucks for a cannon. I prefer functionality over style. A simple rifle to hunt and target shoot.</div></div>

An excellent objective. It still may be worth saving for just a few extra months if you can to go from the 500 range to maybe 1000 or so. The difference can be quite substantial between getting stuck with a Stevens and choosing a Remington 700SS 5R, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD or a savage of some kind depending on your shooting preferences.

There is a REALLY great article that I think you should look at by John McQuay on his website about a build he did for budget precision. It might offer you some things to think about.

http://www.8541tactical.com/budget%20precision%20article.php

I've heard many things about the 700. Some say good, others not so much but I guess its a matter of personal preference. I found a couple of stocks for the Stevens that I like. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BOYDS-CLASSIC-SAVAGE-10-CENTERFEED-p/500-053.htm
Once I buy my rifle, I'll keep this updated with the progress of the build.

But about the budget. I don't really make that much enlisted.

Buy Remington... you'll never look back. If you are looking for a basic rifle, look at Remington's SPS line of rifles. They are in your budget.

By the way...details on your enlistment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy Remington... you'll never look back. If you are looking for a basic rifle, look at Remington's SPS line of rifles. They are in your budget.

By the way...details on your enlistment? </div></div>

I'm an Armorer. 4 Years in, re-upped recently.

My suggestion would be to call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooting Supply and buy a Stevens action ($235), Criterion barrel (around $300), and the stock you have chosen. He might even install the bbl for you for a small fee. You would have a good setup for around $650-$700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion would be to call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooting Supply and buy a Stevens action ($235), Criterion barrel (around $300), and the stock you have chosen. He might even install the bbl for you for a small fee. You would have a good setup for around $650-$700.</div></div>

This is some seriously sound advice.....good luck with however you choose.

I'll start with a few question. First off is the $500 budget for the the complete rifle or is $500 for optics and such? When you say you are going to hunt with it what are going to hunt and what distances are you going to be doing it from?

Also there is nothing wrong with a savage rifle. I'm not a fan but it has nothing to do with the functionality of the rifles. Your budget of $500 is barely enough for a good scope. My advise to you is this. Cut out your bad habits for about 6 months (you know beer, tobacco, etc....) then save that money for your rifle. Also since you are military Leupold offers you a nice discount. Thus after 6 months of saving a little more you will have more reasonable budget for your rifle. But simply if you after a cheap hobby this is not it. For many of us on this site we spend sizeable portions of our income on this hobby and we like it that way.

+1 on spending sizeable portions of our income on this hobby

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE

The Stevens will serve nicely, just so long as you realize you're buying a hunter, and not a match rifle.

Personally, I also suggest a Savage MKII-F as a practice/trainer/plinker rifle. Best for the money; again, not match rifle, but a hunter. It should shoulder the bulk of your practice and training work. Good enough for the purpose, cheap enough to use lots.

Most shooters would take quite a bit of time and work to be able to shoot these rifles to the point where their capability becomes restrictive.

For starters, optics do not need to be utterly peerless.

I use the Tasco VAR624X42M scope (6-24x MilDot, 75+ MOA of adjustment, focuses down to 15yd) priced around $80-apiece. Aside from some dimness at dusk, it works well enough. I have used one for 1000yd F Class without any scope-related problems, and I own four. This scope will do until a better one can be afforded, and also works very well on the .22LR when you do.

Burris Signature 'Zee' rings with adjustable ring inserts allow some tweaking for windage centering. The .308 will work better beyond 500yd with a 20MOA sloped scope base, I use the Ken Farrel model, but it's high and will probably require a cheek rest height supplement. Savage used to market the Farrel base, maybe they still do.

The .22LR doesn't need anything beyond basic mounting bases and rings.

Uncle Mike's sling studs and Harris Bipods can be helpful too.

Semper Fi.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Stevens will serve nicely, just so long as you realize you're buying a hunter, and not a match rifle.

Personally, I also suggest a Savage MKII-F as a practice/trainer/plinker rifle. Best for the money; again, not match rifle, but a hunter. It should shoulder the bulk of your practice and training work. Good enough for the purpose, cheap enough to use lots.
</div></div>

Some solid advise here. A 22lr is an excellent place to start and is an excellent way to practice fundamentals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For starters, optics do not need to be utterly peerless.

I use the Tasco VAR624X42M scope (6-24x MilDot, 75+ MOA of adjustment, focuses down to 15yd) priced around $80-apiece. Aside from some dimness at dusk, it works well enough. I have used one for 1000yd F Class without any scope-related problems, and I own four. This scope will do until a better one can be afforded, and also works very well on the .22LR when you do.
</div></div>
I have a difference of opinion here. Gregs Tasco worked well for him because of his skill and knowledge. The scope he mentioned worked in 1000 yard F-class for a couple reasons. First off Greg is a skilled and accomplished shootist who knows his ballistics and was shooting known distances. Thus the above mentioned optic worked for his given situation. However with the OP being new to the this things are different. And understanding things like MILS/MOA/IPHY can get a little confusing. Thus the best place to start is with an optic that has a ranging reticle and matching turrets.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll throw it out there.

Watch the for sale section here and wait for something that fits your build within your price range and get more gun for your money.

It may not be new but I doubt that will bother you.

Here are a few that I found.

Rem 700 LA in .270

Rem 700 VLS's

Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag

<a href="http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?
ubb=showflat&Number=2639458#Post2639458" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Remy XCR</a>

These are just off the first two pages, watch and wait until something that you like comes up at a price that's affordable and jump on it.

Oh and btw I'm not just a Remmy guy, that's just what I came accross in your price range.

I own a Savage 110 in .300wm, a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag and a Remmy 700 in 6.5x47L and I like them all.

Sir, I know you said Savage / Stevens, have you considered Howa? They make a nice rifle. You can get them in a barreled action, or full rifle, stainless or blued. As of this year they also have a 2 stage trigger that is reported to be pretty decent.

I know I will get flamed straight to the lava pits of hell, but I have used a 3x9 Tasco Mil-Dot scope on a 300 win mag for a couple years. After I sold that rifle, a good friend had a bushnell die on his 338wm and I donated that same scope to him for hunting duty. That scope has well over 1k rounds of mixed 300wm and 338wm down range. Do NOT buy it if you crank the knobs! It is a cheap but semi decent scope. I personally scrimped and saved over a year, and bought an IOR 3-18x42 "Flea" scope a good while back. Best thing I ever did for my shooting! But then, we are talking $1200 scope back when I bought it. I ate ramen, rice & beans for .... a truly depressing length of time!

Good shooting sir,
Gary

You can buy a basic Remington or Savage New at the discount sporting goods stores for under $400.
Ususally just before hunting season or late spring they run them on sale closer to $325.
Upgrade as funds become avaliable.
I'll send you a cheap scope if you get a rifle and don't have the funds for glass. If you buy a Rem. I'll even include a base and rings, savage, I can't help you.
If you want iron sights, look on gun broker for used older rifles.

This is a great article. I am in the market for a custom tactical rifle, and this is a good start. The articles are accompanied by You Tube videos. Both provide the necessary info to learn some simple gunsmith tools for greater accuracy and dependability. I am looking forward to part 3.5.

Thanks,

22_6

I bought a remington 700 sps tactical 20" for a truck gun. put an egw 20 moa base on it, burris tactical low rings, and a nikon buckmaster 6-18x40. mil dot, side focus. its a handy rifle, not overly heavy at all to pack, wont break the bank. shoot .75" groups at 100 yards. all for around 875 bucks. shot it out to 800 yards. it does just fine. if you buy a rem 700 like that, you can upgrade little things here and there as your budget allows. would seriously look at this rifle.

+1 on the 700, ive been very happy with my 700p ltr it shoots under half moa if i dont screw it up. I would check out the 700 sps tactical you can pick them up for around 600 bucks, accurate, and 20" barrel wont be bad to lug around hunting. Remington sps tactical

Yeah saving my pennies for an SPS Tac. AAC SD. Make it a project gun.

I would go with the 700 SPS Tactical. Comes with an ok stock, 700 action, 20 inch barrel. From what I have read about them, they are easy 3/4 MOA all day every day. In 308 you could hunt with it also. My next rifle is going to be a 700 SPS Tactical in 223. I would say go with a Savage(thats what I have) but I think you are going to be in it more than $500, a lot more.

I inherited several Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic scopes. I haven't put them to any serious tests yet, but they appear to be good solid and dependable scopes.

Knowing my Eldest Brother Bill, he was as frugal as I am, and seeing him spend money for several identical scopes tells me he had already found them exceptionally worthy by the time he was ready to buy the second one.

Apparently, our opinions are shared with others.

Greg