• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First competition tomorrow. No software, minimal DOPE.

dcmdon

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
Hi all.

I'm going into my first PRS 22 match unprepared. I've got some match experience doing other things, but know enough to know that I don't know.

I normally try to begin shooting a given gun game with basic equipment so I can focus on fundamentals. In this case that means a non-ballistic Kestrel and Hornady Ballistic AE ballistic calculator. (It seems to run consistent with JBM, but it runs on my phone)

I'd buy Strelok but apparently you can't get it anymore because it's Russian.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 17.42.11.png

This is what I've got. It does a great job predicting my 100 yard zero then deviates from that point out.

I am confident in my MV, height above bore and DA.

I can interpolate the hold overs manually. But if there is any software that allows you to enter actuals to "true up" the predictions, that would be great.

The full spreadsheet looks like this, with me manually averaging the delta between predicted and actual at the 3 data points and applying it to arrive at a calculated hold over.
Any and all wisdom is appreciated. Yes, I know I should just buy a Kestrel and be done with it.

1713045073758.png

Hmm. It looks like snipers hide gravity ballistics might work.

I love to give money to people I like.

Thoughts

22 Dope Charts

Check this thread out and see how things align to what you’re calculating. It’s a great resource. If you can find a chart for the ammo you’re using I’d just print that and go have fun. Take good notes and adjust for the next match.

Reactions: lash
Somewhere in here is a great thread with 22lr dope charts. I’ll see if I can find it.
Thanks, if you don’t find it, I can.

@dcmdon , your method is not flawed, just your inputs. What the differences are telling you is that there needs to be an adjustment in your inputs. Typically for .22, it’s either speed or scope height to bore. Sometimes the bc being used is of if manually entered, but often it’s one of the above.

I still use manual numbers for my dope, but like to use 5 yd increments for .22 . Especially at 200-400 yards, every yard starts to count and estimating exact dial/hold is more critical.

Thanks all.

The course of fire for the match is out and 5 yard increments would be good. I'm shooting Eley Tenex because it's always shot well through the rifle and is available. It may not be the best but I know it's good out to 200 yards.

It's good to know that the inputs may be off. If anything it might be muzzle velocity. I just remeasured height above bore and I know that's good.

The BC I'm using is whatever was automatically entered for Tenex.

Thanks again. I'll reply back with results. The longest shot is 280 yards, but the vast majority are inside 200.

Re the charts. Although my ammo isn't listed, Aguila lines up pretty well at 100 and 200. It's even within .5 mil of my estimate for 280 yards. Of course .5 mil at 280 yards is 5". But it's still not a bad correlation.

Last edited:
Well, the competition went well. I made one chart with both my calculated DOPE and the chart in the link provide above.
My actuals matched the numbers for Aguila at 100 and 200 pretty close. So I used that data and trimmed it a bit.

This is the chart I used.
My data was at a density altitude of 1015 ft per my non-ballistic kestrel.
DA at the match started at about sea level and went up to about 400 ft by 1 pm. So nothing to really worry about.

1713207054064.png