• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Custom Build by Spartan Rifles

SilentSam

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2008
Kalifornia
This is a review of another Spartan Rifle built by Marc Soulie. http://www.spartanrifles.com/

First I would like to thank Marc for putting this NCPPRC Club Build together. This is my first custom built rifle so I got a lot of input from other club members which really helped out. Here are the stats:

Surgeon RSR Action
Timney Trigger
McMillan A3 Stock with KMW Loggerhead adjustable cheek piece in Desert Camo
Bartlein Barrel
Barrel Caliber 6.5 Chambered for 260 Remington
Twist Rate 1-8.5
Finish Length 26
Contour 7 MTU
Badger M5 detachable magazine bottom metal
Phantom Finishing Cerakote http://www.phantomfinishing.com/

First impressions are hard to describe. I was jacked up like a six year old on Christmas morning and the best part was knowing that I got exactly what I wanted.

I am really glad I got the A3 stock instead of the A5 which was an option that others chose. The stock feels really natural in both the offhand and prone positions. The stock also rides really well on a rear sock/beanbag. The stocks Desert Pattern is very attractive as is Todd Powers’ Cerakote finish on the barreled action and bottom metal.

I mounted a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 NXS, loaded up some various loads using Berger, Lapua, Norma, and Sierra bullets and H4350 and went to the range for barrel break-in and load development . Like I stated earlier this is my first custom and was completely surprised on how easy it is to clean this barrel. My break-in procedure only took ten rounds. I shot one and cleaned, shot two and cleaned, shot three and cleaned, and then shot 4 and cleaned. It now takes less than 10 patches and 10 minutes to clean the rifle, even after 50 to 60 rounds. WOW, no more marathon cleaning sessions. I used the ladder method to come up with 2 possible loads, one using 123 Scenars and H4350 and the other using 139 Scenars and H4350. Both loads produced groups of 1.4 inches or less at 300 yards. I’m not sure which load I will use because I haven’t had a chance to get out past 300 yards yet.
Update. I’ve now been able to test both loads out to 1000 yards and both shoot great. The 139’s were better in the wind but the 123’s actually shot flatter.

Fit and finish is excellent. I've had reason to remove the action from the stock several times and each time the zero is less than 1/2 MOA in any direction. The bolt is smooth and effortless in action. I really love the Timney trigger. It is wide enough for a great feel on the finger pad and breaks cleanly and consistently. I couldn't ask for more.

The only problem I've had so far is that when people ask me about the gun I don't have any of Marc's business cards to hand out.

Spartan139.jpg

Spartan123.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Sam

Re: First Custom Build

Congratulations thats one hell of build you should be proud.

That looks very nice. Glad you're happy with it!

I'm glad you like it Sam. I still have your other barrel sitting here chambered and ready to screw on once you have that thing shot out
smile.gif

Marc

Re: First Custom Build by Spartan Rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. looks like a real shooter. What do you like of the A3 over the A5? I have the A5 and love it. But that is JMO</div></div>
With the A3 stock it's easier for me to use a rear bag/sock to adjust for elevation.

Sam

Nice rifle you got there. Very smart parts list!

Nice setup... My next Spartan file will be very similar to yours... Marc is putting together great builds

I debated for a long time between the A3 and A5, and finally ended up going with the A5 because that's what I have on my other bolt gun. I figure I'll get some time in with Gina's A3 at one of the steel matches, however, and see if I want to make the changeover...

Looks like you've got yourself a fine rifle. Congrats.

How happy are you with the (relatively) small bolt handle?

Great shooting rifle you have there. I hope to have my Spartan 6.5 Creedmoor all set in a new McMillan A3 soon as well. All of the rifles that I have seen come out of Marc's shop have been phenomenal shooters.

BTW, how far off the lands did you load the 123's ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteDingo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you've got yourself a fine rifle. Congrats.

How happy are you with the (relatively) small bolt handle?</div></div>
It hasn't been a concern. I'm used to a bigger knob but this action is so smooth I don't think I need a larger handle.

Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting rifle you have there. I hope to have my Spartan 6.5 Creedmoor all set in a new McMillan A3 soon as well. All of the rifles that I have seen come out of Marc's shop have been phenomenal shooters.

BTW, how far off the lands did you load the 123's ? </div></div>

Currently I'm loading everything .010" off the lands. I'm still playing with OAL but both bullets seem very jump tolerant.

Sam

Some updated info and a couple more pictures.

I took the Spartan out again this morning after I adjusted my Scenar 123 loads. I shortened the OAL so it has a .015 jump and reduced the powder charge to 44.1 gr of H4350.

Here's the results at 300 yds, 0.80"
IMG_0105.jpg

And here a couple more views of the rifle.
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

Sam

That #7 contour looks pretty stout. I have the same barrel on order.