• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Custom Rifle Build | Tips Appreciated

BACB

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2020
I’m really wanting to step up to custom rifles. For my first build, I’m looking for something that is good for hunting, shooting small groups out to 500 yards or better, and simply looks great! I also shoot suppressed. I’ve decided on 6.5 Creedmoor.

After lots of research, below is my parts list:
Action: Remington 700 Short Action Stainless (or Defiance Anti)
Barrel: Carbon Six 18” Carbon Featherweight Barrel, 1:8" twist (or 1:8.5"), threaded for 5/8”x24
Stock: AG Composites, AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Carbon Fiber Stock
Trigger: Trigger Tech Diamond
Trigger Guard: Not Sure. Would appreciate recommendations
Magazine: Not Sure. Would appreciate recommendations
Suppressor: Energetic Armament VOX-S, with Dead Air KeyMount Muzzle Brake (I already own these)

Here are my areas where I’m stuck and can’t make a decision.
1. Barrel Twist Rate: I know the 1:8" twist rate is good for the heavier, 143-grain bullets (Hornady ELD-X). However, my hands-down favorite hunting bullet is Barnes. I plan to shoot either the 120-grain TTSX or the 127-grain LRX bullets. Wondering if I should get the 1:8.5” twist rate to stabilize the lighter Barnes bullets, while also being able to stabilize the 143-grain ELD-X bullets.
2. Action: I know I want to go with a Remington 700 action. I’ve heard great things about to Defiance actions (very smooth). I would also like to stay lightweight, so I would spring for the Anti-X model. However, I would like opinions on if it is worth spending the extra $600-$1000 on the defiance Anti-X action or should I just stick with a stock Remington 700 stainless short action?
3. Need ideas for a good Trigger Guard and Magazine.
4. Cerakote
: I plan to Cerekote the action, bolt, bolt handle, and trigger guard. Any recommendations on a good company to use?

Thanks

1. 1:8 stabilizes everything people shoot out of 6.5 Creedmoor, including the new Seneca solids, at the overwhelming majority of density altitudes.
  2. Avoid a Remington-branded action like the plague - among other things, good luck getting reasonable support when insert-shitty-thing happens, and you would need to true it, which means that the standard barrel threads would be wrong and you’d need to interface between your gunsmith of choice (or get the NSS trued action) and C6. Going with the AnTi -X would be my lightweight action recommendation, and is well worth the cost increase.
  3. In my AG Chalk Branch Adjustable - the first one to go directly to an end user not affiliated with AG Composites - I use a Hawkins Precision bottom metal and MDT magazines. I’m currently using the polymer 308, but I might be switching to metal for increased COAL to run with my ARC Nucleus.
  4. Go to the Cerakote web page and look through the galleries for local companies that do work you like. Alternatively let us know where you are and we can point you in a good direction. Also, either tell Defiance that you will be cerakoting the action so they leave some extra clearance, or if you don’t mind black pay them to get it nitrided instead. DO NOT just decide you want to get it nitrided aftermarket.
That said - please note that the AG CB ADJ is about 40oz. You can save almost a full pound, and keep the adjustable cheek, and not spend any more money once you account for bottom metal, by going with the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium/Carbon with either the carbon fiber or titanium mesh grip.

If they hadn’t announced that chassis literally the week after I got my Chalk Branch, that’s what I would have done.

1. Barrel Twist Rate: I am going with something different for mine. I have a Bartlein left hand twist with a 8.5-7.5 gain twist on order.
2. Action: Go true custom and buy once, cry once. Defiance, Lone Peak, ARC, any custom action maker won't disappoint depending on who you ask on here. Everyone has their go-to custom action manufacturer.

Reactions: gnochi
1. Barrel Twist Rate: I am going with something different for mine. I have a Bartlein left hand twist with a 8.5-7.5 gain twist on order.
2. Action: Go true custom and buy once, cry once. Defiance, Lone Peak, ARC, any custom action maker won't disappoint depending on who you ask on here. Everyone has their go-to custom action manufacturer.

I asked C6 a while ago whether they would ever do left or gain or both twists; alas, the answer was no because they just do button rifling at standard twists.

Bartlein Carbon LHGT would be the shit, though, and will be my next barrel... Why 8.5-7.5 instead of 8.25-7.5 or 8.5-7.75?

Just went down to fastest twist rate I have seen for .264 barrels. Why the 3/4" increment?

Just went down to fastest twist rate I have seen for .264 barrels. Why the 3/4" increment?

That seemed to be the rule of thumb from LL’s LHGT thread.

(Note: I have a 1:10-1:6 LHGT 300/308 blank in my closet For Science!)

Thanks for this. I’m thinking about going with the Definance Anti-X. I learned from doing research that since I will be cerakoting the action and and bolt, I will need to call Defiance and let them know that I will be cerakoting. They will need to make adjustments to their tight tolerances to accommodate the Cerakote.

1. 1:8 stabilizes everything people shoot out of 6.5 Creedmoor, including the new Seneca solids, at the overwhelming majority of density altitudes.
  2. Avoid a Remington-branded action like the plague - among other things, good luck getting reasonable support when insert-shitty-thing happens, and you would need to true it, which means that the standard barrel threads would be wrong and you’d need to interface between your gunsmith of choice (or get the NSS trued action) and C6. Going with the AnTi -X would be my lightweight action recommendation, and is well worth the cost increase.
  3. In my AG Chalk Branch Adjustable - the first one to go directly to an end user not affiliated with AG Composites - I use a Hawkins Precision bottom metal and MDT magazines. I’m currently using the polymer 308, but I might be switching to metal for increased COAL to run with my ARC Nucleus.
  4. Go to the Cerakote web page and look through the galleries for local companies that do work you like. Alternatively let us know where you are and we can point you in a good direction. Also, either tell Defiance that you will be cerakoting the action so they leave some extra clearance, or if you don’t mind black pay them to get it nitrided instead. DO NOT just decide you want to get it nitrided aftermarket.
That said - please note that the AG CB ADJ is about 40oz. You can save almost a full pound, and keep the adjustable cheek, and not spend any more money once you account for bottom metal, by going with the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium/Carbon with either the carbon fiber or titanium mesh grip.

If they hadn’t announced that chassis literally the week after I got my Chalk Branch, that’s what I would have done.
These are the kinds of tips I was looking for! Appreciate your input.

You really have pushed me to strongly consider going with the Anti-X and have them to do the coating. I’m also thinking about just letting Carbon Six install my barrel onto the action.

Those XLR element stocks look pretty nice, but I really like the look of the AG CB ADJ stock. I’m willing to take on the extra weight because it just looks so nice! I wish I could find someone to Cerakote the XLR Element stock to match AG CB ADJ stock camp pattern.

They will need to make adjustments to their tight tolerances to accommodate the Cerakote.

Quick note - clearances are how much of a nominal gap there’s supposed to be, tolerances are how much that gap varies from assembly to assembly. Defiance has tight tolerances and tight clearances, Zermatt has tight tolerances and looser clearances, Remington has loose tolerances and loose clearances.

These are the kinds of tips I was looking for! Appreciate your input.

You really have pushed me to strongly consider going with the Anti-X and have them to do the coating. I’m also thinking about just letting Carbon Six install my barrel onto the action.

Those XLR element stocks look pretty nice, but I really like the look of the AG CB ADJ stock. I’m willing to take on the extra weight because it just looks so nice! I wish I could find someone to Cerakote the XLR Element stock to match AG CB ADJ stock camp pattern.

Glad to help! And I don’t think you can go wrong with nitride (from the action manufacturer) - that said, it’s a case hardening and heat treatment process, not a coating process, which is why you only want to get it done by the action manufacturer, who will have nailed down the process for their particular geometry and material.

Having C6 assemble the barreled action is perfectly fine but would cause longer lead times, if you don’t mind the wait.

Looks aren’t the strong point of most chassis systems, agreed, and the carbon fiber stock isn’t particularly attractive, but it is super lightweight at least! That said, I think that most cerakote outfits would be able to do the AG camo style with no difficulty whatsoever on anything you wanted it on.

Reactions: BACB
Quick note - clearances are how much of a nominal gap there’s supposed to be, tolerances are how much that gap varies from assembly to assembly. Defiance has tight tolerances and tight clearances, Zermatt has tight tolerances and looser clearances, Remington has loose tolerances and loose clearances.

Glad to help! And I don’t think you can go wrong with nitride (from the action manufacturer) - that said, it’s a case hardening and heat treatment process, not a coating process, which is why you only want to get it done by the action manufacturer, who will have nailed down the process for their particular geometry and material.

Having C6 assemble the barreled action is perfectly fine but would cause longer lead times, if you don’t mind the wait.

Looks aren’t the strong point of most chassis systems, agreed, and the carbon fiber stock isn’t particularly attractive, but it is super lightweight at least! That said, I think that most cerakote outfits would be able to do the AG camo style with no difficulty whatsoever on anything you wanted it on.
I’m going to do some research and try to find a good person to replicate the AG style Cerakote.

Reactions: gnochi
Go with 22" and a 1-8. 18" is a little short. You'll appreciate the extra velocity.

Reactions: BACB
Keep in mind you can eliminate a lot of guesswork with the Manners/Zermatt/Proof combination.

Manners can install the chassis for the TL3, and you can order the pre-fit barrel from Proof. Shortest CF barrel Proof offers in 6.5CM is 20", which is threaded 5/8x24. The Manners chassis would also eliminate all guesswork on the bottom metal and magazine. The Zermatt actions come nitrided, so the only options for cerakote would be the metal portions of the Proof barrel.

I did this and the rifle without optics was just over 7lbs.

Reactions: Stoweit and BACB
Keep in mind you can eliminate a lot of guesswork with the Manners/Zermatt/Proof combination.

Manners can install the chassis for the TL3, and you can order the pre-fit barrel from Proof. Shortest CF barrel Proof offers in 6.5CM is 20", which is threaded 5/8x24. The Manners chassis would also eliminate all guesswork on the bottom metal and magazine. The Zermatt actions come nitrided, so the only options for cerakote would be the metal portions of the Proof barrel.

I did this and the rifle without optics was just over 7lbs.
Thanks! I’m going to look into this combo.

Attachments

• 2DC13F7E-7884-4671-96EA-D19CC82505C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    2DC13F7E-7884-4671-96EA-D19CC82505C1_1_201_a.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Stoweit