• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First custom rifle build

Tyler6.8

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2021
Michigan
So I recently got bit by the build my own custom rifle bug and it’s not going away. Being that this will be my first custom rifle what actions should I be considering? It seems like a lot of these types of threads I have read through suggest a big horn origin. But, just curious as to what others are out there or if that is the road I should be going down.

Main uses for the gun:
Michigan hunting 50-100 yards typical maybe 100-250 on the off occasion
Plinking at the local range out to 200
Every once in a while out to the not so local 600 yard range

I also would like to get started in reloading. I currently do not have any experience reloading but would like to start with this custom rifle. Any suggestions on good calibers for my main uses and an easier caliber to get started into reloading would be helpful.

Anddddddddd go

.308 W, 6.5 CM (for light recoil), 7 mm PRC or 7 mm Rem Mag for reach. Have some walloping energy left at 600 yards.

Reactions: Modoc
For that described anything will do.

If you want a step up the origin as you well know and the nucleus are excellent platforms, the bottom end of the top level of you will. But imo they are also the best feature sets even against the top priced stuff.

6.5 creed is the easy button still

Last edited:
There are many good, custom actions to be had.
Most economical, but still high quality is the Mack Bros Evo II, the zermatt origin is a solid choice with the added benefit of interchangeable bolt heads. There are plenty more, these two are both sub 1000 dollars as well as the new coup de grace action.
I'm partial to the 7mm.
For your intended purposes, the 6.5 CM, .260 Rem, 7-08 and .308 will do what you want.
Honestly, for your rather short ranges, a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would do very well.
Some will say .223 or 6mm ARC, but you have big bodied deer there and you need mass and sectional density to penetrate.
A word of warning, Hornady bullets, while very accurate, come apart at close range, even the ELD X which is supposed to be a hunting bullet. They do not hold together. The CX bullets should do well.

Reactions: GeoHog and Modoc
308, or to spend more money on 2 barrels for fun... 338 Federal and a 22 Creed! From varmints to meese :ROFLMAO:

Origin or Nucleus are really hard to beat for the intended purposes. Have a trigger sent to the action maker so it can be timed properly(or buy an ARC Coup de Grace and adjust it yourself)

As far as cartridges are concerned, for the ranges you listed just pick something. Anything(literally anything) will shoot to 600yds with a decent barrel. Something to consider is that the 3 actions I listed, and probably everything that gets suggested by others, will accept off-the-shelf prefit barrels. That means swapping between different cartridges is a 5 minute swap(and that’s if you’re fucking around). You could pick one barrel for something super common(308, .30-06, .223) to start reloading and pick another in something a little oddball as a bit of a challenge. Just a thought to make this decision a little more confusing

I have a similar interest. Are all these actions generally Rem 700 foot print when looking for a chassis to match it up with?

Based on what you've said you desire PLUS you want to start reloading for it, and you're starting from zero, I would strongly suggest 6.5C if you want to immediately be happy with the groups you shoot. A second consideration is how hard some components are to buy at the moment, get a .308. There are like two dozen powders you could get and find a load for. On top of the fact you can buy both small and large primer brass for either of those so depending on which primers you can get ahold of you'd be able to load.

Action wise, that's kinda a no brainier, while the introductory price on the ARC CDG is $900, that's hard to beat.

Reactions: Modoc
An Origin with s 6.5cm barrel is your answer. Don't overthink it. Fantastic action (which is why it's so highly recommended) and you have the option of changing calibers very easily for later.

6.5cm will do everything you want and a lot more and had pretty light recoil. I love me some .308 and I believe it's a great round but there's no need in the extra recoil for your purposes and you can go shoot a match with 6.5cm if you every wanted to.

I have recently started a build using the Zermätt Arms TL3 which has an integrated recoil lug. I bought all but the magnum bolt head and so far have 6 barrels for it. 4 are pre-fit and 2 are being fitted action in hand.

I'm also looking at the new ARC Coup De Grâce. Very reasonably priced and feature rich. I'm hoping I can get my hands on one before the communists in charge here in Oregon get there way.

I have a similar interest. Are all these actions generally Rem 700 foot print when looking for a chassis to match it up with?
Yes, 700 footprint. They also use 700 style triggers

You can get a Tikka lite for less than a custom action rebarrel it and put it in an MDT Oryx or Grayboe Phoenix and use Accurate Mags. The Tikka triggers are great and can be tuned -2# by just replacing the spring.

I'll throw in Kelby's Atlas as a good option as well.

Start reloading with something simple that you can use with a standard full length die set and get a small base sizer for.

Ditto everyone above.
6.5CM
I'd choose Origin, ARC CDG, or Mack Bros

I wanna build a hot rod, what hot rod should I build?
Give me your checkbook and a few credit cards. I’ll deliver something as a Christmas present…from yourself

There are many good, custom actions to be had.
Most economical, but still high quality is the Mack Bros Evo II, the zermatt origin is a solid choice with the added benefit of interchangeable bolt heads. There are plenty more, these two are both sub 1000 dollars as well as the new coup de grace action.
I'm partial to the 7mm.
For your intended purposes, the 6.5 CM, .260 Rem, 7-08 and .308 will do what you want.
Honestly, for your rather short ranges, a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would do very well.
Some will say .223 or 6mm ARC, but you have big bodied deer there and you need mass and sectional density to penetrate.
A word of warning, Hornady bullets, while very accurate, come apart at close range, even the ELD X which is supposed to be a hunting bullet. They do not hold together. The CX bullets should do well.
I've had good results with the Hornady outfitter rounds in 6.5 CM and 308.