• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First day at the range

jhr1986

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2012
SLCish, UT
So today was my first foray into precision shooting, unfortunately there wasn't much precision this time. I got into shooting pistols a few years ago and have enjoyed it, and I've had an AR-15 for almost as long though I've probably only put 100rnds through it - it's something I'm more interested in owning than shooting I guess. I've wanted to get into precision rifles for a while and finally got to try it out today. I can honestly say that today was the most fun I've ever had shooting, I was at the range for ~9 hours and probably shot no more than 250 rounds, but this is much more my pace than pistol shooting.

Here's the setup I shot today and will be learning on for a while:

Savage MKII TR
SWFA SS 10x42 mil/mil scope & SWFA rings
DIP bottom metal & 25 MOA rail

I'll post up some pics of my targets, they are pretty terrible overall compared to the groups I see posted here but this was my first time and I learned a whole lot. Groups did tighten up a bit over the course of the day. I can't show off the last two (and best overall) targets because when I was in the bathroom some kid pasted his target over mine and shot the whole board up with his AR. It was an honest mistake, he just picked the board that lined up with my bench instead of his - he didn't do it on purpose. First I'll post a pic of the very best group I shot today; the range has an ongoing competition where if you can put a 3 shot group in an inch dot you get a T-shirt so I tried it out and got it the first time. I didn't get to measure it because they keep it for the wall at the shop.

6.jpg

Here is the sight in and ammo test target:

1.jpg

2nd target

2.jpg

3rd target (at this point I switched to shooting right handed)

3.jpg

4th target

4.jpg

5th target

5.jpg

Note: I'm right handed and left eye dominant and I've been shooting left handed for a while. I found with a scoped rifle that I did better shooting right handed, probably due to better dexterity/control/fine motor skills in my dominant right hand. Open sights I have to shoot left handed, but with the scope it didn't matter which eye I used, but both eyes open was better with either eye.

I learned a whole lot today, first and foremost that this is my new obsession. I tried to implement the fundamentals that I've learned about reading these forums. Found out that finding your natural point of aim to the target is hugely important, I tried fighting the rifle for a while before it clicked with me what "natural point of aim" was supposed to feel like. Fighting the rifle was detrimental to many groups.

I think I did pretty well with the breathing, follow through and the patience part (not hurrying up to take a bad shot). I definitely shot only at the bottom of my breath cycle and stopped myself from taking a bad shot on countless occasions. I also made a point to follow through properly. Of course all of this stuff can get better, I just think those were my high points.

Things that I need to work on: finding the natural point of aim and getting straight behind the rifle. I found both of these difficult shooting from the benches at the range. Any tips on positioning? Benches are this style:
Bench%20Close-up.JPG

I had way too much fun today, this style of shooting is exactly my pace. I can't wait till I get good enough to warrant buying a precision gun in a "real" caliber and getting down to Rifles Only for a class.

Goal for next time: all sub 1" groups.

Re: First day at the range

OP,

Some of your groups are amazing, while others indicate a multitude of errors. You seem to be treating your obsession with it all as a challenge, something to conquer. I think you will do well with it. What's important now is shooter/target analysis. Be cognisant that all errors come from just two arenas, consistency and compensation for the effects on trajectory. From looking at you groups, you might want to focus on the principles (especially trigger control), position, and sight adjustment or hold off to counter for effects of wind.

There's a lot on your plate to manage so you might want to execute the firing tasks using a step to step method. First, shoulder the rifle to align eyepiece with eyeball and establish NPA, aware of the need to make the five factors of a steady position consistent, but without any consideration for the target. That's to say, do not unconsciously steer the gun to the target. Let it point where ever it naturally points. In fact, while building the position you'd be smart to not even look at the target. Next, adjust natural point of aim for desired sight picture. Then, focus on reticle. Pull trigger SMOOTHLY, and finally follow through. BTW, since you have very little recoil to possibly mask movement from poor trigger control, calling the shot will reveal your progress with trigger control. At any rate, your enthusiasm is contagious. One more thing, everybody will want to give you advice. To get a good start for sure, sign up for an M1 Garand Clinic in your area. These are typically put on by very experienced shooters who really know how to help you reach your destination.

Thanks for the thoughts, I need all the help I can get. I'm glad that you mentioned calling the shot. Although I remember reading about it in the past I had to go look it up after reading your post. I instantly realized that I didn't do that even a single time yesterday, it was something I had completely overlooked. When I made shots I would hold the trigger to the rear and keep looking through the scope - but only to see where the bullet impacted rather than proactively calling the shot. I'll need to remember to take that mental snap shot of the crosshairs when the trigger breaks. That will give me something else to try to work on and a way to help evaluate my trigger pull.

You mentioned the "five factors of a steady position", could anyone elaborate on that? Yesterday I had a hard time figuring out exactly how to position my arms for the best shooting position and I knew I was doing something wrong but I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. For what it's worth I'm shooting off a bipod and using my non shooting hand to steady the back end. Sometimes I made a fist under the butt of the stock, sometimes I pressed the web of my hand into the cutout on the bottom of the stock (applying pressure rearward into my shoulder) and sometimes I had my non shooting elbow pointing almost parallel to the barrel so the pistol grip of the stock was resting on my forearm and the butt was on top of my fist. Probably none of these were correct, but it was something I noticed but didn't know how to properly position myself.

The 5 factors of a steady position describe your relationship with the gun and ground. The factors are: elbows, non firing hand, firing hand, stockwekd, and butt to shoulder. Make these relationships correct, to maximize bone support, as well as consistent.