• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First day back at the range after hip surgery

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    It was great. Forgot how much I like the smell of gunpowder.:love: Got to shoot my new darling, a M1A Scout Squad. I was a bit rough and only got down to 1.5 MOA but I think with a bit of practice and maybe a little trigger work she will shoot 1 MOA or better.

M1A scout squad.jpg

That's probably all you can ask of it. I'd be happy with it.

Reactions: Maggot
    Im with Creeky on this one.
    1.5 outta that is good.

You might squeeze better with a lot of work. Thats a sweet battle rifle.
    goes well with a 1911 or a nice S&W revolver.

Besides a SxS 20g and a supergrade pre 64c that combo would be a nice one.
    Have shot a nice 6” mod 19-2 to 100+ yds with 158 LSWC more than once.

Good to hear you are doing that well!

I’m scheduled to go get a total hip replacement on the left hip in a couple months. If that’s what you did, lemme know how the recovery goes. I’d like to know what kind of down time to expect. Hope yours keeps going well!

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Hope your recovery goes well, nice that you can at least get out to the range and shoot. I had rotator cuff/bone spur and torn labrum surgery on 6-29 doc says at least another six weeks until I can shoot, have a lot of work to do, PT rom stretching, just starting strengthening exercises, going stir crazy here. Hope you continue to do well.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    I’m scheduled to go get a total hip replacement on the left hip in a couple months. If that’s what you did, lemme know how the recovery goes. I’d like to know what kind of down time to expect. Hope yours keeps going well!

First let me say, check out the surgeon and hospital really well. My surgeon was recommended by another old time surgeon who doesnt do hips any more. His words to me were"If I or my wife had to have this, this is the guy I'd go to. He eats, breathes, and sleeps it." Pretty good recommendation, and the hospital I was in was first class.

Second, if youre over weight, start changing that NOW. It makes recovery a lot harder and can lead to complications like getting the new hip infected.

So I went in Tuesday morning about 9 AM, couple hours prep, doctor comes in and draws in purple on the hip to be replaces so there are no mistakes. I teased him about being careful with the saw and not cutting my penis off. He cracked up. Then they knocked me out and the next thing I knew I was waking up in an anesthetist fog. Pain was maybe level 4-5, much less than I expected. Stayed in recovery a couple hours then they took me to my room wehre I was pretty drugged up for a while. with in 5-6 hours they had me up and walking. Not far, bjust down the hall, and plenty of pain meds. Went to sleep, but they woke me every 4 hours for pain meds. Next day, more walking, a little class at on PT at noon and I went home by 3 PM with a bottle of 70 2mg dilaudid. I dont tolerate Oxycodone very well, makes me feel like Im leaving my body.

They had me signed up for HOme Care and a nurse came by the next day and a pt every couple days. In a couple days I was getting around well with a roller walker (better than the ones w/o wheels). In 10 days I was using just a cane, and at 4 weeks last tuesday can get about w/o the cane.
    Pain level was never above 4 or so. I got off all the pain meds by 2 weeks.

DO YOUR PT.

ALL OF IT.

Good luck and keep us tuned in.

Last edited:
    Reactions: uffduh
    It was great. Forgot how much I like the smell of gunpowder.:love: Got to shoot my new darling, a M1A Scout Squad. I was a bit rough and only got down to 1.5 MOA but I think with a bit of practice and maybe a little trigger work she will shoot 1 MOA or better.

View attachment 7425133
    Just admit you can't handle the recoil of it.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just admit you can't handle the recoil of it.🤣🤣🤣🤣

You got me.

Really, It comes with an integral muzzle brake. The recoil is really almost non existent. Less than my braked 6,5 Creedmoor.

View attachment 7425133
    I think 1.5 MOA is pretty good. I had a Super Match and it would be consistent at 1 MOA and sometimes a hair under.

That scope is pretty far forward. How do you actually attach it?

I think 1.5 MOA is pretty good. I had a Super Match and it would be consistent at 1 MOA and sometimes a hair under.

That scope is pretty far forward. How do you actually attach it?

Theres a forward rail. The scope is a LER (long eye relief) made mostly for pistols, Burris 3x12x32. Heres a stock photo from the Springfield Armory page showing the rail, and a link to Hickcock 45's review

1600300376388.png

Congratulations on your quick recovery, your fine new rifle, and your return to the range. Enjoy!

First let me say, check out the surgeon and hospital really well. My surgeon was recommended by another old time surgeon who doesnt do hips any more. His words to me were"If I or my wife had to have this, this is the guy I'd go to. He eats, breathes, and sleeps it." Pretty good recommendation, and the hospital I was in was first class.

Second, if youre over weight, start changing that NOW. It makes recovery a lot harder and can lead to complications like getting the new hip infected.

So I went in Tuesday morning about 9 AM, couple hours prep, doctor comes in and draws in purple on the hip to be replaces so there are no mistakes. I teased him about being careful with the saw and not cutting my penis off. He cracked up. Then they knocked me out and the next thing I knew I was waking up in an anesthetist fog. Pain was maybe level 4-5, much less than I expected. Stayed in recovery a couple hours then they took me to my room wehre I was pretty drugged up for a while. with in 5-6 hours they had me up and walking. Not far, bjust down the hall, and plenty of pain meds. Went to sleep, but they woke me every 4 hours for pain meds. Next day, more walking, a little class at on PT at noon and I went home by 3 PM with a bottle of 70 2mg dilaudid. I dont tolerate Oxycodone very well, makes me feel like Im leaving my body.

They had me signed up for HOme Care and a nurse came by the next day and a pt every couple days. In a couple days I was getting around well with a roller walker (better than the ones w/o wheels). In 10 days I was using just a cane, and at 4 weeks last tuesday can get about w/o the cane.
    Pain level was never above 4 or so. I got off all the pain meds by 2 weeks.

DO YOUR PT.

ALL OF IT.

Good luck and keep us tuned in.
    This is the best advice anyone could possibly get, research the shit out of the doc and hospital, get a second opinion, not all docs are equal and you want the best especially a surgeon, some docs graduate at the top of their med school class for a reason and some don't, you want that top guy. About 15 years ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer, they even had me set up for radiation treatments, the wife and I said we better get a second opinion so we did a shit ton of research and found the top rated throat doc and clinic in the state and made an appointment, it took a couple months to get in but guess what no cancer, my local doc made the wrong diagnosis. don't know what would have happened if I would have had radiation when I did not need it but can't imagine it would have been good, you just have to make sure the docs you have know what they are doing.