• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Day with CZ455PT and Bushnell G2DMR

MosesTheTank

Minuteman
Jan 28, 2011
SC
By the grace of God, and one helluva lovely wife, I received a CZ455PT and Bushnell 3-12x44 G2DMR for Christmas. The CZ went straight to Hooper Ordnance to thread the barrel for an AAC Element2, which should be in hand at the end of April, and to add a nice bolt knob. Hooper recommended an smaller bolt knob to scale to the rifle. It was definitely the right choice. The smaller bolt knob leaves just enough clearance between itself and the scope's power adjustment ring. Instead of a thread protector I thought it would be a nice touch to add a vortex flash hider. A 20MOA rail was had from DIP. Midway had Leupold M4 30mm medium rings on sale and I added a Harris bipod and Pod-Loc to the basket. The brown truck delivered the rifle yesterday and I immediately stopped all work and put the scope assemblage together. I headed out to the range this morning to see what this rifle, and myself, could do. I wanted to get straight to it so I had 5 sighters with Federal bulk ammo, another 5 of the same for good measure and then ran through 17 different loads. I am a long time small bore competitor so I used my Walther KKM for comparison. It should come as no surprise that what has worked well in the Walther for the last 20 years (Eley black box and a few Lapua loads), is not what worked best in the CZ.

455-KKM_zpsd2d9a4e4.jpg

Bolt Clearance:

BoltClearance_zpse55c38d6.jpg

Side View:

SideView_zps4be22f65.jpg

Flash Hider. More swank than a basic thread protector:

FlashHider_zpsffddd016.jpg

I'm quite happy with Hooper's Threading and Bolt Knob work:

Muzzle_zpscb798ffb.jpg

Bolt1_zpsb550930c.jpg

The loads tested were:

Federal Value Pack (sighters)
Aguila Golden Eagle Match
SK Rifle Match
Lapua Midas L
Lapua Polar Biathlon
Federal Target, 711B
Federal GM Ultra Match
CCI Stinger
CCI Green Tag
CCI Mini-Mag HP
CCI Quiet 22
Fiocchi Performance
Eley Match Black Box
Eley Team Match
Aguila Super Extra
Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic
Wolf Match Extra
Eley Subsonic HP

AmmoLineup_zps4a0da799.jpg

A word first about the rifles. The CZ is to be little brother to a 6.5CM build I hope to have in the coming months and sports the T4A stock. Being well into the post gun range bottle of Bordeaux, the best I can come up with is... once you go Manners you never go back. They are solid, comfortable, ergonomic, attractive (yes, that counts for something), and it's a company that stands behind its products. I own a few CZ rifles and all of them have excellent fit and finish. The 455 is no exception. The KKM is as much of a precision instrument as I own. The trigger is better than any I own, hands down. I have Jewel, Timneys, Geissle... This is not a trigger I want on a hunting rifle, but for smashing gnats at the range you can't ask for any better. I'm not sure of the pull weight anymore, but it is in the ounces. It wears a 27" no taper barrel that drills the center of NRA 200 yard targets like nobody's business.

Once I got the CZ sighted in I set the Zero Stop. This a wonderful feature and I will not do without it on any future scope. I flipped back and forth between 50 and 100 yards and it worked wonderfully. The features on this scope make it a bargain. FFP, great reticle, mil/mil, very nice glass. After a few hours of use I did not need to look at the knobs to make adjustments. If there is one thing I would add it would be illuminated cross hairs. There is much debate about this and I am beginning to think that everyone who takes the opposite view must be younger and/or shoot only against contrasting targets in reasonable daylight.

So how did it shoot? Very well. It is a MOAish rifle out of the box, and with almost every round tested, with the notable exception of the subsonic rounds. The Eley did come close, though. Besides being much less accurate than the faster rounds, the point of impact for the subsonics was severe enough that I am going to have a subsonic specific test session in the future. Wind today was gusting between 10 and 20 mph, and shifting between 6 and 9 o'clock. Conditions were not ideal and having to go through about 500 rounds I didn't have the time to wait for the wind to settle down between shots. The effect of wind on the subsonics was much greater. I'm guessing this has do with increased flight time. At 50 yards the fight with shifting winds was negligible, but at 100 yards it became more of a test. All shooting was performed off of a bipod and sand sock.

But I have to waste no more time in logging the first complaint about the rifle, the trigger. I feel this feature kept the rifle from shooting nearly as well as it could. The pull wasn't terribly heavy averaging 3.75lbs. This is beyond where I like my rifles to gauge, but it's the slightly crunchy and inconsistent feel that got me. There were several times I expected to rifle to go bang but instead I just had to reset myself and give it another go. I'm sure this will smooth with time. I will address this problem soon enough and am leaning towards the Rifle Basix.

TriggerPull_zps4fb16bb4.jpg

Which ammo won? One of the least expensive of the test group, Federal 711B. Only the Federal bulk ammo and Aguila cost less:

Targets3_zps622299e8.jpg

What difference does a trigger make? I think it makes the difference between this world and the next. Admittedly, I have many, many thousands of rounds with the Walther, but aside from familiarity I believe the trigger was the biggest difference. Although the CZ didn't digest the Eley and Lapua as well as I thought, it still enjoyed plenty of 0.5" to 0.75" 50 yard groups with this ammo. Yes, the CZ is not yet broken in, but here is a comparative difference using the same box of ammo.

Targets2_zps0655e27e.jpg

By the end of the day I think the rifle had smoothed out to the point where maybe testing should have begun. So from here I will send the rifle off to Accurate Ordnance for bedding, cerakote, maybe some stock paint. And of course it will have a sweet trigger to boot. By the time that is complete I should have the Element2 and I will repeat the test and update this post. I expect the CZ to shoot much better in the future. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy it.

The more I see this rifle, the more I convince myself I need one. I already blew my gun budget this year but that was a "ball park" number anyway lol. Now I just need to find a dealer that has one in stock that's willing to ship to the liberal sinkhole of NY state.

Congrats on the new stick and thanks for the excellent write up.

Great review, looking forward to more. Having clicked a few 455 threads i'm glad i spent the money on mine, just waiting on rings.....damn Elletts.

Having personally handled the rifle above, it seems like a well thought out build. The stock is great and gives a perfect feel that mimics its centerfire counterpart. The only thing it lacks is one of our trigger guards. I will have another batch out soon.

Great looking rig. Love the bolt handle. Hope to get mine back from them soon.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

me too. My rifles looking funny w/o a bolt while we wait for the reworked handle.

Been waiting almost a 2 months for my barrel and bolt handle. Hopefully it will come soon gotta match coming up on the 6th would be nice to shoot my CZ instead of my 10/22.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Great write up! I am enjoying mine as well. It too is off getting the bolt handle done an threading of barrel for a sparrow! I am also considering creakote. Nice stick!

A bit of a teaser, but I won't get the rifle back from Accurate Ordnance until Tuesday so I'm writhing like a kid just before Christmas. Hoping I can share the angst.

Here's where the rifle started in December, Step 1 (just receiving the rifle):

CZOriginal_zps40e731d3.jpg

Step 2 was having the barrel threaded and the diminutive bolt knob put on. See above.

Step 3... Off to Accurate Ordnance. Patriot Brown Cerakote, Timney trigger, bedding job, NV rail, flush cups... Here it is in the parts bucket at Accurate Ordnance. Thomas painted the stock a pattern of his own design called Shadow Hunter. It is awesome. I drove up there last Friday and snapped this pic. I also wasted a lot of their time by asking lots of questions and had them put a bipod rail on another gun I brought with me. I even bought another scope because there was no way in hell I was going to leave that place without more than what I showed up with. Can't say enough good about these guys.

CZintub_zps2dd79a70.jpg

Making this wait of just a few days all the more unbearable is that THIS just arrived... my Element2.

Element2_zps5027610b.jpg

So what will the bedding job and trigger do for accuracy? Perhaps one of the more expensive match loads will outpace the humble Federal? At this point I couldn't possibly care less, I just want to shoot the damn thing. Tuesday morning shall find me standing in the street all bug-eyed, twitching, and pacing up and down waiting for the brown truck.

Last edited:
Dang nice rifle you got there, one day Ill have to copy you. Although I think I ll go the midnight blue cerakote color. Im currently waiting on a suppressor too so I can only imagine how bad receiving it would bump of the level of anticipation to get the worked over rifle in your hands.

Won't get to testing until Saturday but wanted to share the pics. Looks even better in person.

PB1_zpsf8093b3e.jpg

PB3_zps28c5288b.jpg

PB2_zpsd2f1f712.jpg

PB4_zps1755b994.jpg

Great setup. Thank you for sharing the info on all the different ammo types. Seems that the only thing more tempermental about what it eats than a new .22 is a new fiancee...

Finally got to test suppressor shift and the bedding/Timney trigger. I usually only make one mod at a time so I know its effect, but I will chalk up most of the accuracy gains to the trigger. The Timney is just a huge improvement over the factory job. It took about 100 rounds to really smooth out.

The Federal 711B that performed the best on the first go-round came in a very close 3rd this time. Who knows; temperature, humidity, astrological re-alignment... accounts for the difference. The Wolf Match Extra beat it out by just a hair. The best group the Federal churned equaled the Wolf, but wasn't as consistent. The Wolf showed 0.45" 50 yards groups until it got boring. But today's winner was neither the Wolf nor the Federal.

Fed711B_zps82c6ffa1.jpg

Wolf50045_zps94ed0c41.jpg

Wolf50044_zpsc1eef84e.jpg

At 100 yards the Wolf began to really outstretch the Federal, but it was the Lapua Midas L that took the day. And man oh man did it take it. I bought a case of these some years ago and found that they didn't perform as I had hoped for in the gun for which they were intended. So they have sat on the shelf ever since. The Lapua shot numerous 0.4" and less 50 yard groups. It also shot one incredible 10 shot string into a single ragged hole. When I got home from the range I realized I didn't have it in my bag (dammit!) but here is the winner:

Lapua100072_zps03667dc7.jpg

This one is 4 shots as I was interrupted by the range jester obnoxiously calling the line cold. The 5th round was ejected and not found. But I will take the group nonetheless.

Lapua100066_zps4d089915.jpg

I only tested the Wolf and Lapua at 200 yards. Here is a 6 shot group from the Wolf. I was getting my dope and didn't realize that I already had one shot on this target when i laid in 5. So I don't know what 5 are the actual group. But it is a fair representation of the Wolf at 200.

Wolf200yds_zpsb5753eb9.jpg

And now for the money shot:

Lapua200yds_zps97c627fd.jpg

Suppressor shift was a very consistent down and right. I was quite happy with this after running 5 tests at different times during the day with different ammo. I was a bit hasty in circling the shots and made an error, but I think you will get the picture:

SuppShift_zps79d7a5a3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking through it right now at garbage cans 46 and 26 yards away with the scope dialed down to 3 power. The focus is just great. The cross hairs become very fine and are absolutely usable. It's the numbered graduations that become unusable as they are too small to read. As I dial up through the power to 12x the numbers become visible at about 4x and very easy to see at 5x. Focus is perfect and I can see the scratches in the can. IMHO the finer cross hairs are better for hitting a small x ring. The only downside I've found to the fine cross hairs is at low low light as they can get washed out against a dark background (such as rabbit fur). I would prefer to have an illuminated cross hair or dot in the center for this situation.

Also, with about 2,000 rounds through the rifle I have seen a significant gain in accuracy. A lot of folks leave data books for their high powered rifles but I have found them very worthwhile for this rim fire.

I highly recommend this scope.

That is very much appreciated! I think this may be the scope for me when funds become available!

Ben

Great looking build. Subscribing for future updates. I'm planning on building one as soon as KRG releases a version of the X-Ray for the 455 (fingers crossed!!!!), so I can build an identical twin to my primary 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle.

Are you happy with your trigger selection? What other options are there? I run a CG Jackson (Rem 700 format) in my match rifle, and I think it's going to be tough matching the 8oz 1st stage / 6oz 2nd stage, along with the super-clean break of that trigger. But I'll get as close as I can.

Scott

finally got to test suppressor shift and the bedding/timney trigger. I usually only make one mod at a time so i know its effect, but i will chalk up most of the accuracy gains to the trigger. The timney is just a huge improvement over the factory job. It took about 100 rounds to really smooth out.

The federal 711b that performed the best on the first go-round came in a very close 3rd this time. Who knows; temperature, humidity, astrological re-alignment... Accounts for the difference. The wolf match extra beat it out by just a hair. The best group the federal churned equaled the wolf, but wasn't as consistent. The wolf showed 0.45" 50 yards groups until it got boring. But today's winner was neither the wolf nor the federal.

fed711b_zps82c6ffa1.jpg

wolf50045_zps94ed0c41.jpg

wolf50044_zpsc1eef84e.jpg

at 100 yards the wolf began to really outstretch the federal, but it was the lapua midas l that took the day. And man oh man did it take it. I bought a case of these some years ago and found that they didn't perform as i had hoped for in the gun for which they were intended. So they have sat on the shelf ever since. The lapua shot numerous 0.4" and less 50 yard groups. It also shot one incredible 10 shot string into a single ragged hole. When i got home from the range i realized i didn't have it in my bag (dammit!) but here is the winner:

lapua100072_zps03667dc7.jpg

this one is 4 shots as i was interrupted by the range jester obnoxiously calling the line cold. The 5th round was ejected and not found. But i will take the group nonetheless.

lapua100066_zps4d089915.jpg

i only tested the wolf and lapua at 200 yards. Here is a 6 shot group from the wolf. I was getting my dope and didn't realize that i already had one shot on this target when i laid in 5. So i don't know what 5 are the actual group. But it is a fair representation of the wolf at 200.

wolf200yds_zpsb5753eb9.jpg

and now for the money shot:

lapua200yds_zps97c627fd.jpg

suppressor shift was a very consistent down and right. I was quite happy with this after running 5 tests at different times during the day with different ammo. I was a bit hasty in circling the shots and made an error, but i think you will get the picture:

suppshift_zps79d7a5a3.jpg

holy crap!!!!