• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First decent spotter. Holy Sh@# Balls!

Pilky01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Western U.S.
Now I see what I have been missing! I was able to score a used Leica Televid 77 with some money i earned helping out on my bro in laws farm. This is an upgrade from the Simmons I bought at a local pawn shop for $15. I am blown away by the clarity. The 20x on the Leica absolutely murders the 60x on the Simmons. The Leica on 60x made me squeal with delight. Crystal clear and beautiful. I can literally see limbs on trees and bushes on the mountains outside town. If you are like I was and thinking quality glass would be nice but people on here are just being optic snobs or exaggerating take it from me start believing the hype. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407034478.494333.jpg

Congrats, I didn't realize that Leica made a spotter. Doesn't surprise me thought.
They do have great glass and make high quality optics. Enjoy!

Welcome to the club! There is no substitute for good glass in a spotter. Now that you know what you've been missing, keep working on the farm and hang onto your wallet.......... you will buy more good glass, be it binos, rifle scope, etc. Resistance is futile, you will buy more! Enjoy!!!!

Optics is one of those areas where it really pays to spend the money of quality and this is especially true with a spotter. Unfortunately most of the really good ones start at about $2400+ which can be a major financial hurdle for most people. However, for spotters there's one advantage: they're easily a shared item. If you shoot regularly with a group, then consider going in on a good quality spotter together as you will likely be taking turns using it to support each other in the first place. And a good quality spotter is one of those things that can last a LONG time, so "buy once, cry once" definitely applies.

Spotter60PLRF_zps1c470b5c.jpeg

After spending years and lots of money on cheaper spotter/LRF solutions that always left me wanting more, I finally decided to take my own advice...

Congrats to you Sir A Thing Of Beauty, I been looking at them on the net, thanks for answering my questions.

Now for the Televid Binos, One Has to Accessorize, We have Standards to keep and all that.

John

Optics is one of those areas where it really pays to spend the money of quality and this is especially true with a spotter. Unfortunately most of the really good ones start at about $2400+ which can be a major financial hurdle for most people. However, for spotters there's one advantage: they're easily a shared item. If you shoot regularly with a group, then consider going in on a good quality spotter together as you will likely be taking turns using it to support each other in the first place. And a good quality spotter is one of those things that can last a LONG time, so "buy once, cry once" definitely applies.

Spotter60PLRF_zps1c470b5c.jpeg

After spending years and lots of money on cheaper spotter/LRF solutions that always left me wanting more, I finally decided to take my own advice...

What Scope is that one, I keep seeing them, That's a cool set up you got there,

John

Currently saving up for something nice now! Congrats.. I've been able to use some others' premium glass, but I really just have to go with what the budget can afford for now. I know "optics snobs" aren't really snobs - they're right. Just not everyone can afford them.

Currently saving up for something nice now! Congrats.. I've been able to use some others' premium glass, but I really just have to go with what the budget can afford for now. I know "optics snobs" aren't really snobs - they're right. Just not everyone can afford them.

I just Bought a Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 from a member here and it has ED Glass with A Reticle fitted and two cases and a tripod, you should be able to find one for around 3-400 Dollars They are a lot better than most 7-800 dollar scopes,
They made 4 models 3 were 15-45 x 60 and one was 20-60 x 80 give them ago and you will be right in the thick of it, you would have to spend double that to find Better.

Hope this helps, John

Nice!!! I always like the leica spotters. I think I'm just gonna go for the ole trusty lupy mk5 because of the options you can get dealing with nv. I like the ziess ones too. Just want a way to sync up a lfr and a spotter equipped with nv.

Just got a vortex viper hd 20x40x60 and I am really impressed with this at the prices point.

Great Job, Your gonna be waiting along time before you find something that Matches Dollars of features, That is a thing of Beauty, Congrats,

John

Now I see what I have been missing! I was able to score a used Leica Televid 77 with some money i earned helping out on my bro in laws farm. This is an upgrade from the Simmons I bought at a local pawn shop for $15. I am blown away by the clarity. The 20x on the Leica absolutely murders the 60x on the Simmons. The Leica on 60x made me squeal with delight. Crystal clear and beautiful. I can literally see limbs on trees and bushes on the mountains outside town. If you are like I was and thinking quality glass would be nice but people on here are just being optic snobs or exaggerating take it from me start believing the hype. View attachment 45170

I have the same glass, albeit with the 32X eye piece. I love it! Next thing I'd recommend is a good tripod and head---then you'll be set!

I have the same glass, albeit with the 32X eye piece. I love it! Next thing I'd recommend is a good tripod and head---then you'll be set!

Yeah spent all my money on the scope. The tripod was $7.50 at a warehouse store. Forgive my ignorance but what is a head in reference to a spotter? Also what tripod would you recommend?

Nothing negates the optical quality of an alpha spotter like a crappy tripod.
I know the pistol grip heads are all the rage but I use Manfrotto fluid heads.
Fluid motion, eliminating the need to overshoot your intended subject then let the tripod and head spring back to the desired position.
Rigidity to eliminate vibrations and construction to handle heavy spotters.
I use a full size Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod/fluid head for sitting or standing and a Manfrotto fluid head mounted on a low profile aluminum tripod mad by Giottos for prone or bench positions.

A great aluminum Manfrotto can be had for around $175. The head is the part that the scope attaches to to allow movement of the scope, personal preference there(I despise the pistol grip models too). I use Jim White's head-- Tripods-Tripod Heads - CouesWhitetail.com Store
For light weight tripod, think carbon, but more $.

A great aluminum Manfrotto can be had for around $175. The head is the part that the scope attaches to to allow movement of the scope, personal preference there(I despise the pistol grip models too). I use Jim White's head-- Tripods-Tripod Heads - CouesWhitetail.com Store
For light weight tripod, think carbon, but more $.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Most pistol grip heads are shit. That's right, I said it. Fucking toys.

Commercial photographer, 34 years. Let me school you, young man.

Carbon, light, expensive. If you're not hoofing it, go aluminum. If you are up and down the side of a mountain, sure. Otherwise, take the extra money and spend it on the scope. That's what is doing the work.

Most pistol grip set-ups are cheap pot metal, junk. Do you think that I would put a $3k+ spotter on a manfuck-o pistol grip, you are very high.

Try it with an 11 lbs. lens/3 lbs. camera, wouldn't last 1 season.

Buy the best scope that you can. Period.

Buy the best ball head you can afford. Check out Really Right Stuff. Just look at their site. Read a couple of their tutorials. Silky smooth, tight, repeatable.

Choose your tripod accordingly. Truck to bench, you don't need a carbon graphite racing tripod. If you will be carrying it over hill and dale, spend the extra dough.

Think about this: You could be glassing all morning before you take a step. Buy a good scope. Spend $300+ on a good ball head.

Would you: good truck, good rifle, good glass, $10 pocket knife? Cleaning your fingernails, sure. Skinning big hogs, no.

Good Luck.

I second what was just said.

Take a close look at Really Right Stuff, Kirk Enterprises, Arca Swiss and the like.

I picked up an older Swarovski spotter used from KYS and am still amazed at the clarity at longer ranges.

It's amazing to watch bullet trace all the way to target.

It's amazing to watch bullet trace all the way to target.

That's easily one of the most valuable features of a good spotter. It makes a huge difference when calling corrections if you can see the trajectory of the round in the first place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409416422.126605.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409416435.414831.jpg

So I went spotting elk with some friends and saw what you all told me. That tripod sucked pretty bad. So I started shopping around. I found this used manfrotto that is built like a tank. It also matched my scope cover so I couldnt turn it down. I realize it is not top end but I really like it. It is heavy but so am I. Thought I would give you guys an update and thank everyone for the advice and insight. This board has been the best resource I have found.