• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First deer with a bow!

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Have rifle hunted for a number of years but got a bow at the end of last year, Mathews Z7. Had a 150 pound buck come in Saturday while hunting from the ground in a chair, no blind. I was able to draw back at around 40 yards when he went behind a tree. Did not have a clean shot due to brush until he was about 15 yards away, he just stopped and stared straight at me for like 90 seconds! I was not comfortable shooting him straight on and patiently waited although I was sure he was going to pick up my scent and spook. I was starting to shake slightly from holding my draw for over two minutes when he finally put his head down and turned broad side. I made a small noise to get his attention/stop and put a Grim Reaper expanding broad head right through his heart! He ran forty yards and tumbled dead right there. I have never seen such a blood trail with any of my rifles, even the two I took last year with my 45-70! My bow only has a 50 pound draw weight and I now have a much greater appreciation for what a well placed broadhead can do! I have to say it was pretty intense having him so close and definitely one of my more memorable hunts.

Hope you all have a good season!

Re: First deer with a bow!

Great story! Always good when it works out like it should. Where are you from, its not in your display on your profile?

Any chance on getting some pics to go along with the story? How big was he? I still to this day remember my first bow kill a nice like fork horn!

Thanks Bitter! I live in western NC but scored the buck on my in-laws land in TN. It was pretty much dark by the time I got the deer out of the woods and did not get any pics. The deer was roughly 150 pounds with a 3 point rack (broke one of its tines). I would guess he was a two year old buck and he ought to be very tasty. I have deboned all the meat and am in the process of aging the meat now in a cooler! Then grind some and vacuum pack everything.

Last year invited some friends over and served the backstraps. The meat was aged 10 days. I marinated them overnight in milk, garlic, peppercorns, and rosemary. Patted dry, wrapped the backstrap with applewood smoked bacon, cooked on a cast iron skillet over medium heat until bacon crispy and venison medium rare. Served with a raspberry sauce, garlic mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus. The meat melted in your mouth and was the best venison I have had the pleasure to consume.

I cannot wait to cook this years venison!

Congratulations on a nice hunt! Sounds like that was fun!
Yeah some of those broad heads make a big nasty wound through the vitals!

congratulations! thanks for sharing a memorable hunt!

congrats on your first bow kill it's not easy i'v been bow hunting 25 years missed a few lost a few goten most.I just picked up a z7 this year to replace my outback great bow.

congrats on your kill, the first time with a compound is a hell of a memory

If we dont see pics it never happened.
Congrats on first bow kill.

Congratulations. Very nice to do it from the ground. The older I get the more I love bow hunting.

Congrats!! Always enjoyed the challenge of bow hunting and the extra month to hunt. On a side note, has anyone else ever had problems with expandable failing to expand? After two doing the same thing I switched to fixed blade broadheads. Maybe they have improved in recent years?

pics or it didn't happen
wink.gif

J/K Nice stick. I am trying for my first deer with just a rifle! One thing is for sure, it won't be for a lack of trying if I don't get one. I've spent a boatload of time in the forest/outdoors!

Congrats!