• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First ELR build help

Longgun-308

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2019
I would appreciate any suggestions for a build I want to do for a beginner ELR rifle. I’m thinking 300nm or 30 Sherman magnum with a 30 inch straight taper barrel. I want wondering what action would hold up best for a barrel of that weight. I don’t want a single shot, I want to run a magazine. Suggestions on anything would be truly helpful. Barrels, contour, actions, chassis or stock. Thank you

What would be the god-awful reason that you would want a magazine feed elr rifle . Elr is about pushing the limits and boundaries the calibers and cartridge you mentioned will be sub par for competitions as entry level cartridge for elr is a 338 lapua. And no one uses a mag feed . Perhaps your wanting to use it for other purposes then elr. Like hunting or to be tac- cool mr bang bang Wana be sniper Boy . ( Yes i am being sarcastic) no one uses mage feed for true elr as it would never be used. elr is about precision detachable mags are hard on precision custom ammo. But
to answer your question any 700 footprint will work fine for any barrel length and up to 338 lapua.

What would be the god-awful reason that you would want a magazine feed elr rifle . Elr is about pushing the limits and boundaries the calibers and cartridge you mentioned will be sub par for competitions as entry level cartridge for elr is a 338 lapua. And no one uses a mag feed . Perhaps your wanting to use it for other purposes then elr. Like hunting or to be tac- cool mr bang bang Wana be sniper Boy . ( Yes i am being sarcastic) no one uses mage feed for true elr as it would never be used. elr is about precision detachable mags are hard on precision custom ammo. But
to answer your question any 700 footprint will work fine for any barrel length and up to 338 lapua.
Thank your for the input I appreciate it, and I understand that it lacks performance for a competition rifle in a true ELR Match. I’m not building it for a competition rifle. I’m looking for a training rifle that I can’t push my limits now, with the experience that I have so far. I’ve been in the prs game for awhile and I’ve done my “cool mr bang bang wanna be sniper boy” when I was in the marine corps training on the weapon systems they gave me. I’m looking for a cartridge to shoot out to 2000m and hone my skills.

Reactions: badassgunworks
Either cartridge will do fine to 2000m but spotting splash can be tricky depending on the terrain. If you are going to Night Force Steel challenge you will want to mag feed but if you are shooting true ELR I wouldn't worry about it. The Norma has a .585 bolt face so that would let you go to a 33 or 37xc down the road. 30 SM is pretty much max on .540 bolt face.
The big 30 might tie you over for a bit but you'll be building something bigger soon.

Thank your for the input I appreciate it, and I understand that it lacks performance for a competition rifle in a true ELR Match. I’m not building it for a competition rifle. I’m looking for a training rifle that I can’t push my limits now, with the experience that I have so far. I’ve been in the prs game for awhile and I’ve done my “cool mr bang bang wanna be sniper boy” when I was in the marine corps training on the weapon systems they gave me. I’m looking for a cartridge to shoot out to 2000m and hone my skills.
Thank you for your service. Having come from a military background you must know that shooting extreme range it's kind of like a Lay's potato chip you can't eat just one. Same thing goes for ELR 2000 yards has a limit is just way too limiting. Once you accomplish that task you're going to want to go further and further and further it is extremely addicting. With your smaller calibers you just really limit yourself to experiencing put ELR is all about. There's a relatively small difference in price to build a 375 cheytac compared to the Norma. Do it once .

I'm in the process of doing just what your doing. Getting my feet wet in ELR. I've already started trying to find all the components for my build. I've decided to chamber in 300 Norma mag improved to get a little more case capacity and less trimming because of the 35 degree shoulder. Because of the larger bolt face, on down the road I can upgrade to the 33XC or another .338 variant by then.
1 Surgeon 1581 xl action
2. Barlein 30 inch 9 twist 5r barrel HVY
3. Triggertech Diamond trigger
4. Manner MCS-T4A Team stock
5. Nightforce Atacr 7x35x56
6. Eratac 0-70 moa base

There now exist ELR Light class of competition and a 300NM or 30 Sherman would fit in just fine. Max caliber for ELR Light is 338. I'd definitely encourage you, if you have the ability, to join in on these type of matches. It's commonly said that shooting at matches makes you a better shooter and my match experience so far has definitely helped me be a better shooter.

Probably a good example of what you could build off of, something in a 375 but the mag will be a limiting factor for your bullet selection.
Can’t believe this dumbass brought this rifle to what looks like a big event, its got a mag! Funny stuff.

Pictured - 2018 KO2M 375 Snipetac - the only rifle to hit the coldbore target and take some paint off all qualifying targets for the finale. Shooter - Jeff Heeg

JH
803E1C36-104D-492B-B456-CE5964174A49.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably a good example of what you could build off of, something in a 375 but the mag will be a limiting factor for your bullet selection.
Can’t believe this dumbass brought this rifle to what looks like a big event, its got a mag! Funny stuff

JHView attachment 8024256
You get to save a few bucks not putting a mag on, consider you’ll never use it unless your gonna dual purpose the rig for long range hunting or matches like Night Force. That being said I don’t know why people literally won’t give any advice or guidance on mag feed systems. IMO if you want mag feed capability giver.

Won’t give advice is not the case here, I did mention that the mag would be the determining factor on what bullets could be used. SMKs would be fine but any of the Flat Lines or Cutting Edge and bullets of the same wouldn’t due to the length.

The 300 NM or 33XC would be a nice light gun build and serve very well, as Badassgunworks mention you could build a 375 Cheytac for a little more or the same as a good 300 NM and stretch things out. Nothing wrong with having some good choices today versus years back.

For what I know that rifle with the mag pictured has shot outstanding.

JH

Last edited:
I would appreciate any suggestions for a build I want to do for a beginner ELR rifle. I’m thinking 300nm or 30 Sherman magnum with a 30 inch straight taper barrel. I want wondering what action would hold up best for a barrel of that weight. I don’t want a single shot, I want to run a magazine. Suggestions on anything would be truly helpful. Barrels, contour, actions, chassis or stock. Thank you

Since you're moving up from PRS-class rifles, and since your desire is to start off in the ~2000m regime, a big 30 cal or 338 would be my recommendation.

Why:

- 30s and 338s are mainstream calibers. When you move up to 375, lots of stuff changes, and there is less available (bullets, data, dies, tools, etc.)
- 30s and 338s are all you need to get to 2k, and are A LOT less expensive all the way around (bullets, dies, tools, brass, etc.)
- You will learn a lot stretching out the 30s/338s and you can apply that to a longer range rig when you are ready to move up.
- It's far easier to find places to shoot 2k than it is to find places where you'll be in the regime where something like a 375 will start to make sense.

Recommendation:
- Start with something that uses a Lapua Magnum bolt face (300 Norma, 338 LM or AI - I'd start with the 300 Norma because of cost and at 2k, a LM doesn't get you much - a 338AI would be interesting, though)
- Get a big ass action that will accommodate a larger case to give you options down the road
- Learn shooting the 300 Norma or 338, get your feet wet, then either build a new rifle, or simply rebarrel to a 33XC or 37XC.
- This all allows you to use most of your existing tools (press, trimmers, etc.) while setting you up for a future upgrade if you desire it.

I started with a 300WM then built a 300PRC which turned into a 30 Sherman Magnum. I have been happy taking my 30SM out to 2500 yards. I shot in the KRG ELR match this past spring followed up by the Nightforce Challenge in June. Both were great learning experiences that I highly recommend you try. I chose to mag feed in the KRG match and limited myself to CIP mag length running what I could find for bullets at the time which was the 225gr ELDM. They fell flat once they hit transonic and not a good choice. I jumped up to the 230gr A-tips for the Nightforce match and did well for my first go. I single fed during that one.
I am currently running an Archimedes action with a 32" 8 twist SS Proof barrel right now and am sure I will outgrow it in the near future. It has helped me learn a lot and I have no regrets going with my current setup. If I was to do it all over I would probably go the same route just for the learning experience.
If you really want to mag feed then I would jump up to the Norma mag, otherwise the Sherman Mag holds its own. I am currently running 245gr Berger EOL's @ 3040fps and able to mag feed them with 0.100" jump. It is no slouch.
Which ever route you go I am sure you will have a good time.
20221230_160204.jpg

Last edited: