• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First ever attempt today at 1550 yards 338 Lapua

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well, I've been on the hunt to find somewhere to shoot over 1000 yards and a friend from work found a place that we ranged at 1550 this morning and gave it a go. After doing some reading on here, I did a JBM for the 300 berger hybrids at 2800 fps with the modified G7 bc of I think .44. Can't remember exactly but I have the sheet.

Winds were light and we put a cardboard backer with a orange plate along with steel plate resting on it. I fired 3 rounds and we couldn't observe any impacts, so he went to the target. I was surpised as the 3 rounds were all on target but just right of where I was aiming.

We fired some more and I was trying to zero on the plate...3-4 rounds at a time were holding pretty good for my first time ever. Vertical was great.

Anyways, here a pic of my first ever attempt over 1000 yards.

338 lapua
92.0 h1000
lapua brass
300gn berger hybrid

100_9091.jpg

100_9098.jpg

100_9099.jpg

As you can see, the wind got me some
smile.gif
I needed a click or two right windage. My friend said the 3-4 rounds I'd fire at a time were holding 12" or so with mostly being horizontal as u can see in the pic. I hit the steel a few times and then let him fire the rest at the steel. I needed to correct the windage and would've had better results. I will try this again!! It's addicting

Alan

Re: First ever attempt today at 1550 yards 338 Lapua

Yea the splatter really surprised us. Should've seen the back of the target also from it. I can't wait to try this again haha

Alan

Hey do you mind telling me what scope you were using? I see it looks like a nightforce mil? What power etc.
Thanks

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22-56mm...mil/mil HS w/zero stop. I also have a defiance machine action with 30MOA base.

Alan

First time or 20th time I would say that is pretty good shooting.

Stoked for you alan. Looks like a beautiful day, too.

Where in PA? Looks like a lot of fun.

I was going to try a mile shot in Central PA, but I need to get a replacement stock/chassis for my TRG 42 before that happens.

This was in Patton at a farm. We wanted to try a mile too but ran out of time and it wouldve been really close to make it work. I'm trying to find a good location to shoot out to a mile, but in this area, it's next to impossible lol.

ALan

Nice shooting.

Can you post a pic of the rifle too
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing

some nice shooting there always learning new things when i shoot out passed 1500yds