• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First hunt is derailing (CO)

Trochlea

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Den, CO
Hey guys,

Story and a couple questions. Been planning my first Elk hunt this fall for a while with my buddy, who is a much more experienced hunter. While i am a native, he is stationed here from arizona so he doesn't know the territory as well. As such we have spent the majority of time off this summer scouting and we determined that that we should hit up 37/28 license would be our best bet. However the last two times we have been up there, we haven't seen anything. To make matters worse, because my buddy is in the airforce the recent furlough cancelled his vacation. I hadn't purchased a license because ... just had a bad feeling and there seemed to be plenty of licenses left over so i could buy one closer to the hunt. Anyway end my sob story, here is my situation ME = first time hunter (besides yotes and such), shoot a 308 and would be comfortable taking an ethical shot under 300 yards. I have gear and 4x4 truck. Pretty healthy and used to Colorado altitudes and camping/hiking. Doing some research and calling around, I have come up with a couple options to salvage an elk hunt

1) Hunt 37/28 despite the overwhelming lack of animals on latest scouting trips.
2) Find a new area, this would only give me time for maybe one trip before time for a hunt. I did a bit of searching and it looks like flat top wilderness area might be a good option although i would have to delay the hunt as the only available licenses are for the following week
3) I have uncles who farm in GMU's 98 and 99, I had put in for buck in 99 but got nothing =( they have elk tags that go until January out there but I have never seen elk on their land, but i would have a ton of time to hunt and some eyes to watch for prospects.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your delima. I can tell you right now that asking for any type of huntin info (especially elk) is like asking for a damn kidney around here. People will usually never give any help as far as unit info/tips. We claim to be a "tight community" but when it comes to elk, your on your own around this camp.

I have not hunted in any of the units that you mentioned, or I'd gladly give you some advice.

What dates were you wanting to hunt?

I would call the local game and fish officers in the unit that you saw the elk and just ask general questions they can be a lot of help. The animals were there so I would guess they have to be in the area some where. but I am a whitetail/mule deer hunter with the hopes of hunting elk some time so I might be in left field that they are still around

Im a fourth year medical student and November is a research month so i can pick and choose anytime in november. I figured getting any help with elk might be tough, but I figured that it was worth a shot. I am not restricted to those areas, although being near the farm would take a lot of the hike out of a successful trip.

Hunted pretty much everywhere in CO except that area.

I say find a new spot. If I was you I would get on the phone and start calling people. Being a native you might have people open up a lil more. I might would look up different taxidermist/meat processors all over and give em a call (Or other local joints). Be straight with them. Tell em your looking for a spot. You will probably will get some rejection or ruffle some feathers, but you will find some friendly soul who will talk. The biggest problem will be deciphering how much truth is in what they say.

I could tell you where we have had success but if my hunting buddies found out they would probably castrate me.

Can't go this year...miss it so bad. Let me know if you have any luck.

People are more likely to share their family secrets than talk about elk honey holes..

elk is a hit and miss you either know where they are or not. Most people don't like giving info to many people as the spot will likely be ruined. I have to say that the best tip I can give you since I've never hunted your area is don't give up just keep trying.

People are more likely to share their family secrets than talk about elk honey holes..

I guess that i should clarify, i am not trying to milk people for their hunting spots. Mine is more of a question of what to do in this scenario.

1 ) previously scouted area which looked good before but is not turning up a whole lot of prospect closer to the actual season
2) a more popular but difficult location that i don't know well. mind you that reportedly has the largest herd in colorado both of elk and outfitters
3) a really long season (several months) that previously has only been known for its white tail.

I am willing to put in the work to check out a new spot or recheck previous locations. I have just never planned a hunt by myself, so my question is more of technique and plan of attack than gps coordinates

That is how people think whenever anyone asks for help......hell you're not asking for the GPS cooridinates to their cherished spot. Just a few tips or advice. For an out of state guy who has to pay fuel or airfare, food, tags, license, lodging......a helpful tip from someone could mean the difference in atleast seeing an elk and maybe getting a shot versus $1500-$5000 wasted dollars and eating a tag sandwich.

I would call the local game and fish officers in the unit that you saw the elk and just ask general questions they can be a lot of help. The animals were there so I would guess they have to be in the area some where. but I am a whitetail/mule deer hunter with the hopes of hunting elk some time so I might be in left field that they are still around

This is great information. A local friend of mine travels out to CO (I'm from there originally) every year and one of his hunting crew is a DNR guy. They really are happy to help for those guys that look to them for advice. Do as much scouting as you can. If it comes to it and you haven't seen anything, just get a tag for wherever. Time in the woods is better than time anywhere else. Getting lucky is one of the best parts of any hunt. I hope it all works out for you. Take care,

Adam

If the weather is warm head to high country. Little/no traffic. Steep. With water if it's dry. Look for tracks and sign, that will at least help you know if you are in the right area. May be different in Co. in Oregon elk are smart, smart, and smart. They tend to avoid people. If you are in steep valley country (which is good here) you can glass across valleys, if you are lucky you can spot them, then you have to figure out the approach. They can hide behind a piece of grass and run through pole thickets I can't even walk through, without making a noise. How the antlers don't get stuck is beyond me. If you come across a trail that looks like a couple of roto tillers went through the woods you have a herd of elk that are spooked, sometimes (with the right wind), you can chase them down (more of a stalk) and if you are lucky they will relax and start to feed. If there is a lot of pressure they can turn almost completely nocturnal and you have to find where they bed. hard to get to, they bed with a mind for self preservation. I know this is a ramble, hunting elk is hard and fun, and can even be successful. A lot of guys can call them in, I am not so good at it. good luck!