• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first impressions: new bighorn, new Vortex gen2 4.5-27 and new TBAC 5"

taliv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
TN
I had a new competition rifle build by Wade Stuteville which is pretty much an exact duplicate of my previous rifle (which will become a practice rifle), except I'm using the new bighorn action with the integral recoil lug. I also wanted to try the shorter Thunderbeast can (5" instead of 9") to save both a little weight and length. I got those a month or so ago and I've been waiting to shoot them until my new glass arrived, which just came this Monday. Since it's only Wednesday, I've only made 3 range trips with it so far and did break in (took 2 rounds), and zeroed (way too many rounds) and a box drill.

So here are a couple pics and first impressions, keeping in mind I have about 42 rounds on the gun.

bighorn2.jpg

bighorn2a.jpg

Vortex Razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56 with EBR-2C reticle
-It's heavy, but also short.

-The glass is fantastic. No distortion that I've seen so far. I tried to take some 'through the scope' pics of the vortex test chart, but between my crappy iphone, the sun and the .jpg compression algorithm the little lines on the target were completely whited out. My eyesight is pretty bad, so I was really only able to read the 3rd 'vortex' down on the right side. I could see the others but couldn't tell what they were.

-The knobs are very stiff. I expect they will break in a bit. (I hope)

-The clicks are very crisp. I like them.

-The parallax so far is better than any scope I've owned, including my S&B. The image is crisp and parallax free at the same setting (inexplicably not the case on some of my other scopes) and so far, that spot lines up with the markings on the turret. (rarely the case with my other scopes, especially S&B) But at the same time, it also seems sensitive to it.

-Spinning the diopter has that super high quality feel that an optic should have before it gets gritty from sand and all the crap that happens when you use them. But I haven't figured out what's going on with it yet. The reticle seems fairly clear over most of the diopter range, so I can't really tell if I have it set right or if it doesn't matter.

-I put the scope all the way forward in my spuhr mount, and the mount all the way forward on the rail, and I still had to hold my head back a little uncomfortably on the stock to get the right picture. Today I went to the hardware store and bought extra long screws and stuck additional spacers in the stock. (shown in 2nd pic)

-I like the illumination control a lot. and the illumination in the reticle is the way it should be

-The reticle is usable, but I sure hope they offer more choices in the future. On the positive side, it is labeled, is an appropriate thickness and isn't obnoxiously busy like the Horus, while still offering hold points for wind and elevation. The hold points aren't as nice as the MSR, but they're better than the H2CMR.

-I really like the way you zero the knobs, which is sometimes an engineering feat with zero stops and locking turrets. it is kind of like the USO EREK knob but not exactly. Essentially, you dial the knob to zero, then spin the cap off and turn a brass screw with a flathead screwdriver until it's zeroed. The upside is it is basically continuous, not discrete clicks, so you can put your zero EXACTLY where the bullet hits, instead of being stuck with the impact between 0 and .1 mil and having to remember to hold just a little high or low. The downside is nitpicky, but the markings you use for zeroing don't match the bullet adjustment at all. (they seem to be 2x what is written a .4 adjustment moved me .8 on paper, and when i needed .2 right, 2 marks moved me .4 right, and 1 mark moved me the .2 back to center). So where I used to be able to zero a scope with 1 round, adjust then shoot one to confirm and slip the knobs to zero, with the new vortex, I'm guessing, adjusting, guessing, adjusting, etc. but it's worth it to eventually get it exactly where you want it.

-also nitpicky, but it takes 3 tools to zero the knobs. a coin, an allen wrench and a narrow flat blade screwdriver. somewhat surprisingly, their solution was to invent a combo tool and include it in the box that does all 3. problem solved, i guess.

-looking forward to getting my cat tail / switchview lever soon. that will be very nice.

-as expected, the box test went pretty well. I'm going to say it tracks ok :)
I shot the bottom dot labeled 0 eight times, dialing up 1 mil after each shot. Then I dialed back to zero and shot the black dot on the bottom right 5 times (in order ABCDE), adding 4 mil left, then 4 mil up then, 4 mil right, then 4 mil down (which put me back at zero on the knobs. The cows were icing me on the 2mil dot. I think the box may be some sloppy shooting on my part, but it does seem to be leaning a bit left.
vortexbox.jpg

The Thunderbeast PSS
-shorter
-weighs less
-jury is still out on sound reduction, but so far it's right on the border of being uncomfortable to me, the shooter. so I swapped back to the 9" today to zero and shoot the box drill. i may use the 5" in matches where i'll be wearing earpro anyway, or use it on a SBR AR15 blackout. I like lightweight, but I like my hearing more. still a huge fan of the normal 30P-1; i have 3 of them

Bighorn TL2 short action
-super slick and smooth (slicker than surgeon, imho)
-lots of updates since my old bighorn, too many to list here

I think Wade's put together a pretty accurate rifle here. I haven't done any load development or anything and am out of practice and was never good at shooting close range paper anyway. That last shot "E" is the only one that's more than 1/4" from the center, which isn't bad for 12 rounds.
Tomorrow some friends are coming in and I hope to stretch it out past 100.

Last edited:

I had a new competition rifle build by Wade Stuteville which is pretty much an exact duplicate of my previous weight and length. I got those a month or so ago and I've been waiting to shoot them until my new glass arrived, which just came this Monday. Since it's only Wednesday, I've only made 3 range trips with it so

So here are a couple pics and first impressions, keeping in mind I have about 42 rounds on the gun.

bighorn2.jpg

bighorn2a.jpg

Vortex Razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56 with EBR-2C reticle
-It's heavy, but also short.

-The glass is fantastic. No distortion that I've seen so far. I tried to take some 'through the scope' pics of the vortex test chart, but between my crappy iphone, the sun and the .jpg compression algorithm the little lines on the target were completely whited out. My eyesight is pretty bad, so I was really only able to read the 3rd 'vortex' down on the right side. I could see the others but couldn't tell what they were.

-The knobs are very stiff. I expect they will break in a bit. (I hope)

I think Wade's put together a pretty accurate rifle here. I haven't done any load development or anything and am out of practice and was never good at shooting close range paper anyway. That last shot "E" is the only one that's more than 1/4" from the center, which isn't bad for 12 rounds.
Tomorrow some friends are coming in and I hope to stretch it out past 100.

Still like the razor?

Is the Christmas tree reticle too busy?

Last edited:
It took two round to get the barrel broken in? What a POS...
Ill give you $600 for it and the scope, you know, to save you the embarrassment of claiming ownership....

Still like the razor?

Is the Christmas tree reticle too busy?

well, i did the drop test a few times (i think a spectator later claimed to pee himself when i picked it up about waist high, rotated it and dropped it on the scope, twice. knight11b has been a very bad influence on me) and it's holding zero, so I'm pretty happy, so far, but i only have 178 rounds on it as of tonight and I'd like to shoot matches for a year with it before really giving it the thumbs up. I did just get my 2nd one from OTMtactical yesterday (thanks Mark!) but am waiting on rings and switchviews. I'll post pics of both next week hopefully.

i am able to see well enough to shoot small targets. I shot this group 2 weeks ago. 6 rounds in the 3.5" head of the target below from 520 yards. I moved back past 1000 and took the shot on the low left but i was aiming at the body haha. shot several more times and the rest weren't even close. not sure what the problem was, but it wasn't lack of clarity in the optic. i was able to see the target very well.
8-15-520y2.jpg

I think I'll be able to live with the christmas tree, but it's just too early to tell. I really haven't had much chance to spot for a partner in the past two weeks, and that is where busy reticles tend to annoy me most.

It took two round to get the barrel broken in? What a POS...
heh well if you think not copper fouling after 2 rounds is embarrassing, wait til you see how consistent the chrono results are. went out tonight to work up (or down, actually) a load and shot this group
R17, neck turned Lapua brass, wolf primers, 140 hybrids, measured by magnetospeed.
SD 1, ES 4

i tell you, i'm ready to slit my wrists here

both are 260AI, and like i said, as soon as i get rings, i'll swap the USO out for the 2nd vortex (not that i don't like the USO) and post some more pics. barrels are same length. the one in back is my old match rifle/new practice rifle, now with its 7th 260AI bartlein barrel. after i put the vortex on, about the only way to tell them apart will be the new one has an EFR and the old one has a separate recoil lug (which actually makes it .300 longer than the one in front)

(btw, the PVS27 fits perfectly on that rail with the vortex gen2.)

bighorns1.jpg

bighorns2.jpg

-as expected, the box test went pretty well. I'm going to say it tracks ok :)
I shot the bottom dot labeled 0 eight times, dialing up 1 mil after each shot. Then I dialed back to zero and shot the black dot on the bottom right 5 times (in order ABCDE), adding 4 mil left, then 4 mil up then, 4 mil right, then 4 mil down (which put me back at zero on the knobs. The cows were icing me on the 2mil dot. I think the box may be some sloppy shooting on my part, but it does seem to be leaning a bit left.
vortexbox.jpg

Where did you get that box drill target/tracking target?

Where did you get that box drill target/tracking target?

uhh, it's the no-shoot side of a cardboard IPSC target. it was the biggest piece of paper i had lying around the house. I used a grease pencil and yardstick to make the lines. The dots are from shoot n see targets that i placed every 3.6". others have suggested using butcher paper to get out to 20 mils or so, which i would like to do next. though i suppose in retrospect, doing a box test at 50 yards would let me go to 16 mils. there was a stack of the vortex resolution stickers (which i stapled so i could reuse) on the prize table at a match last year. it's based on the this 1951 USAF resolution test chart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like a great set up sans the micro can. I just don't see any point in those and having built more then a few suppressors there's not much replacement for volume when it comes to suppression and recoil mitigation. I'm not suprised you find it uncomfortable noise wise cause i bet it is.

Looking forward to continued use on these gen2 razors as well. Hopefull no zero drift etc.

The Xmas tree reticle is a really a good option for the right application. If you do a lot of hunting where you may need to take follow up shots quickly or you shoot a lot of movers in quick succession then the Xmas tree reticle is great. Which I do a lot of 500yd + coyote hunting so I enjoy this reticle greatly. But if your just shooting stationary targets this reticle is certainly busier than needed. Plus if your spotting for someone you have to bracket their shot in the upper regions of the reticle to clearly see where they impacted.

The Xmas tree reticle is a really a good option for the right application. If you do a lot of hunting where you may need to take follow up shots quickly or you shoot a lot of movers in quick succession then the Xmas tree reticle is great. Which I do a lot of 500yd + coyote hunting so I enjoy this reticle greatly. But if your just shooting stationary targets this reticle is certainly busier than needed. Plus if your spotting for someone you have to bracket their shot in the upper regions of the reticle to clearly see where they impacted.

for some people, I guess this is true. I shot plenty of movers with the P4F. Honestly, I suspect the mechanics of how people create their 'sight picture' is pretty different. The way some people do it, I would want hold points. the way i do it, not so much. i'm not sure how to articulate the difference yet though.

the NV rail is an option that Terry sells with the sentinel stock. I like that it is a little lower profile than the EFR and you can see from the first pic, the side rail is angled and much less likely to snag, though it also has less rail space and is much further back.

Went ahead and took the plunge and went for the EBR2C. I like the open center of the reticle vs closed center. Especially shooting paper. I'm used to a USO with either GAP Mil or RDP Mil. I love the fine crosshairs out to .5 mil of the RDP but hate that it only has indexing numbers every 5 mils. I much prefer every 1 or 2 mils. The perfect reticle for me would be the EBR1C with the open center.

If I don't like it I can sell it and get a non Christmas tree version.

Last edited:
so i'm pretty sure i'm going to burn out my first barrel on this rifle trying to fine tune my zero.

today i shot 20 rounds on a couple shoot n see 5/8" dots on an ipsc cardboard. First 10 rounds were over the magnetospeed as it is a new load that i'm still trying to work down to. The good news is i hit my 3000 fps target exactly (3000 fps avg over 10 rounds) but the bad news is my SD/ES sucked so back to the drawing board. But all the loads I've tried have been accurate at 100.

So I shot 6 rounds at the top dot playing with my position a bit and chasing the zero. Then i shot 4 shots at the middle black dot using a consistent position. First two were dead in the center and the next two drifted slightly lower. So then I decided to take the magnetospeed off and see what my zero shift was. The first round is labeled 1 on the bottom dot. I'm happy with that. (odd, since my other rifle had a very repeatable down .3, left .1 shift with the magnetospeed).

Anyways, after that I decided to test the thing that drove me crazy with some other scope brands. Between the 1st and 2nd round on the bottom target, i reached up and slapped the right side of the bell with about as much force as you'd close car door with. The result surprised me a bit. With previous scopes, a slap on the right side would push my POI .2-.3 left and vice versa. But with the Vortex, it seems to move in the opposite direction. A right slap moved POI just a touch right. But it was small enough that it would have barely enlarged my group if shot on the 2nd target. So I was pretty happy with that. Fired the third shot just to confirm and the impact eased back toward the center, which is typical. So I slapped the left side between the 3rd and 4th shot and got a disappointing left shift on shot 4. Shot 5 came pretty well back to center. however, slapping it left and right also seemed to raise my elevation, which stayed high and didn't really appear to come back to center. I confirmed by putting 2 more rounds on the top dot, which are in the 12 and 1 oclock position. And then finally, i walked 200 yards and then put my last 3 rounds on the orange dot, which were tight but still high. I'll have to test it again, but first impression is it's an improvement but not what i was hoping for.

But even with all the messing around with position, and moving my zero, and slapping the scope, and shooting with and without the magnetospeed, the top and bottom groups are still sub-MOA at .902 and .839 MOA respectively. And the two smaller groups in the middle where i kept a consistent position are .193 and .221 MOA. I'm liking the scope more every day and it's a pretty dang accurate rifle.

vortexslaptest.jpg

Nice rifles and a great wright up!!!! I've heard good things about the BH action, does the other rifle have a BH as well?
Thank you!

I enjoyed the wright up, thanks for sharing. You have a very nice set up !

Nice rifles and a great wright up!!!! I've heard good things about the BH action, does the other rifle have a BH as well?
Thank you!

thanks! both are bighorns. the one in back is one of the oldest ones. the one in front is one of the newest ones. they are very nice actions. there are quite a few differences, but the biggest are that the newer one has a one-piece bolt and integral recoil lug.

Last edited:
Terrible write up... It makes no mention of beryllium zantium, Military contract over runs or super secret squirrel stuff anywhere. I formally protest any further write ups until you send me that vortex so I can do a proper write up.

All kidding aside... Absolutely gorgeous rifle Tom. Looks like a keeper for sure. Wade does some great work on rifles, and I'm Glad to see you finally get it all together.

Looking forward to shooting with you soon!

so i left some beryllium zantium under my pillow and the next morning i found the secret squirrel /scope fairy left me another razor gen2! ok actually, I got it from OTM Tactical, which shipped both the scope and extra goodies (vortex rings, switchviews, etc) extremely fast and at an excellent price. Definitely check their website otmtactical.com if you are looking for vortex stuff.

so here's some gratuitous pictures of both scopes with switchviews. one with the sun shade and the other without. one in vortex/seekins rings and the other in spuhr. (The latter is ever so slightly higher to match the NV). you can also see the one in the back has the turret unlocked (the raised position) and the cheap scope caps that come with it

vorticesharsh3.jpg

vorticesharsh2.jpg

vorticesharsh1.jpg