• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First impressions of the Hornady powder dispenser

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
I've been wanting to add an electronic powder dispenser to my bench for a while now and finally broke down and let go of the money. I picked up a Hornady L-n-L Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser (it being on sale aided in my discision making). Anyway the device showed up yesterday and I have spent time last night and today at my loading bench just doing some evalution. As of yet I have used the dispenser to load about one hundred 45ACP rounds loaded with Unique and I have also run some Varget though just to see how it metered. And as yet I am pleased. When dispensing Unique for my 45 loads on the fast setting I got 3 overcharges and when set on normal speed I got 1 overcharge in 50 rounds. All of the overcharges when recogonized and the machine alerted me about them. When I ran some Varget through this device I found that I had to set the speed to slow (normal per the manual for extruded powders) but I did get excessive overcharges until I reprogrammed the unit. Reprogramming was easy, it only required I hold down a button for several seconds. But other then that small issue Varget metered well through the machine. All and all I am happy with the powder dispenser and I find to be an acceptable device. Especially given the price point.

Would you recommend this over a powder measure? I have no experience with electronic dispensers and have been curious about them for a while.

I have the same electronic powder measure. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems fairly acceptable to me. Sometimes I question it's accuracy as the numbers may take forever to move, and then all at once may jump 0.2 grains on the digital readout.

I personally think everyone should have some method of manually dispensing powder. This devise is am improvement from that but having both methods is ideal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I use both, the manual and the electronic powder measures.
I set the manual measure to the load, dispense it into the pan, set it on the scale of the auto machine, let the auto machine do the trickle.
Then, I take it to the manual scale and double check the load.
As long as I am going to use time to reload, I want every round to be as accurate as the next.
That`s all.

They recommend 15 minutes for the warm up. I have one and use it a lot. I stopped using the auto dispenser... takes way too long and it will allow for overages as well as less powder then what I set... I question it's accuracy though. I seem to get some variances using it for precision. Where my brother doesn't have such a variance with his RCBS.
You can't beat the customer service from Hornady though. I love that about them. Now I just use it as a scale with the powder scoops from Lee and a trickle powder dispenser. Way faster! But the accuracy Luke I said is questionable.

We use about an inch of a straw from McDonalds with wedges cut out of one end to help with the extruded powders like varget. You can search the hide or google and find the straw trick. Helped a lot with the overcharging.

I hadn't heard the 'cut wedges' part - I will have to give that a whirl as well.