• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Kestrel. AB or 4DOF?

If you shoot a lot of Rimfire, the AB elite with dsf function is about the best way out there to dope your .22.

I’m pretty familiar with AB, so that’s what I use. I also use the garmin watch, so having the same (generally) software across platforms helps.

If you don’t use multiple electronics, don’t shoot Rimfire, and price matters, go 4dof. If not, go AB, imo.

Reactions: drglock
In addition to what @Dthomas3523 said, if the bullet you are using is not in the 4DOF library, go with the AB.

I’ve been messing around with the 4DOF app. I’ve entered all of my data that I’m 100% positive is correct. I’ve spent a good deal of time truing StrelokPro. For the life of me, I can’t get them to line up. I’m currently running 108’s. Which is in the 4Dof Library.

Reactions: kindabitey
I’ve been messing around with the 4DOF app. I’ve entered all of my data that I’m 100% positive is correct. I’ve spent a good deal of time truing StrelokPro. For the life of me, I can’t get them to line up. I’m currently running 108’s. Which is in the 4Dof Library.
Just curious, Russ....have you tried to load data into the Hornday BC calulator and see if it matches Strelock?

The 4DOF addresses a lot more variables and factors that past BC calculators....at least according to Hornday.

I am using the 4DOF and it was pretty much on for the Hornady 338LM 285gr. If you are shooting Hornady rounds then its very nice imo. IF your not, then it does have the G1/G7 BC also.

Reactions: oniak
Yes. I’ve used the BC Calculator as well. Those two don’t line up either. And, both are almost .5 mil off from StrelokPro

Reactions: Baron23
Different calculators will do the math slightly different from each other so you will have to use a different BC number to true your data app to app. This doesnt mean one is nessisarly better then the other. I use the AB, Lapua, and 4dof. All work. I like the user interface better with 4dof and Lapua for somethings. I use AB the most as it is the best for exporting to excel and I like to run hard copy. I find it quicker to use in the field and the drag models are generally spot on.

The Hornady 4DOF was my first Kestrel because the entry price on introduction was hard to beat. I also use 140 ELD-Ms almost exclusively. Its been accurate from 1000 yards to 1 mile when set up right.

But I just switched over to the 5700 Elite. The reason was for more options of Laser Range Finders.

If LRF selection and interface are not important factors, the value the Hornady 4DOF is very good.

If your finances allow, the AB garmin watch + terrapin x is pretty damn awesome combo.

I had seen that AB Garmin and was looking into it. I know you don't get all the weather capability of a full on kestrel, but I like the easy of carry and form factor are pretty convenient. It can also work with the BDX3000. How would such an item do in a unknown distance field match?

I had seen that AB Garmin and was looking into it. I know you don't get all the weather capability of a full on kestrel, but I like the easy of carry and form factor are pretty convenient. It can also work with the BDX3000. How would such an item do in a unknown distance field match?

Aren’t the bdx3009 the binos with AB in them? If so, that’s plenty for an ukd match by itself.

The watch shines in a situation like that if your spotter lases a Target and you get the dope to your wrist without any extra communication.

Also, just run a tempe sensor with the watch and set humidity to 50%. The only think lacking from a kestrel is a wind meter.

Aren’t the bdx3009 the binos with AB in them? If so, that’s plenty for an ukd match by itself.

It depends on the ranges you're shooting. The binos have AB Ultralight which is limited to 800 yards and doesn't support coriolis, spin drift or aerodynamic jump.

When you pair the binos with the Garmin watch it uses the AB Elite solver on the watch instead which removes those limitations.

Something else to keep in mind. If you go with the Applied Ballistics system, and you are ever at a match where our mobile lab is in attendance. You can have you own Personal Drag Model uploaded into the ecosystem. This means you fire your rifle, and ammunition combination over our radar. We upload it to our server and you have access to it, for free, on the apps, in the Kestrel, Garmin, Sig, etc. devices.

I've been using the 4dof app off for 22. They have a few loads from sk,cci, remington and a couple others I think. Theyve added to it since I downloaded it probably a year ago. I used the sk standard plus in the app and was shooting pistol match in my vudoo. Landed me first round hits at 320 yards and 417 yards.

Now all that being said, I've been looking to buy my first kestrel as well. With everything I've seen I'm leaning heavy to the AB version. Hornady has quite a few bullets in their library but their main focus is still on hornady products. If I was like some people I know and only shot 6.5 creed, I'd go 4dof. But I don't.

This means you fire your rifle, and ammunition combination over our radar. We upload it to our server and you have access to it, for free, on the apps, in the Kestrel, Garmin, Sig, etc. devices.

This alone is a reason to find an event they are attending and do it. Custom drag curve, that you host, for free, across the AB eco-system ? Come to Australia damn it.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired
I originally bought the Hornady Kestrel because I like the app but returned it and replaced it the AB elite after finding out the 4dof will not talk to the Sig Kilo 3000 binos. The range card option on the AB elite and the suppressor zero offset is also a plus. On top of all of that you can use it as a weather meter for the Hornady app. But most important thing to consider is what projectiles are your shooting. I used to shot a lot of Hornady but now shooting a lot of Berger

I got 4DOF dialed after adjusting my Axial Form Factor. I’ve been running 108’s in my 6CM. So, the 4DOF app is great for those. But, that barrel is toast and I’ll be screwing on the GT barrel this off season and will switch to Berger 105’s. I’m gonna buy the Kestrel AB Elite. It’ll just make it easier. Plus, that custom drag sounds DOPE! pun intended.