• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First lathe

Turner421

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Looking for advice guys. I wanna buy either a precision mathews1236 or a grizzly 0750g. I know you get what you pay for and I don’t wanna spend over 5k. That being said, does anyone have experience with either of these lathes and what are your opinions on them? Thanks

I bought a G0776, but a buddy, who is a retired Marine 2112, highly recommends the PM lathes. I wouldn't think you would go wrong either way. My mill is probably going to be a PM-833.

I just bought the PM1340GT. Still setting it up, but fit and finish of the lathe is excellent. Lots of good information over at Hobby-Machinist.com. There is a PM sponsored sub-forum. To keep at your $5K budget, look at the PM1236T. It's the Taiwan manufactured model, with induction hardened and precision ground ways.

Some of the differences are the Grizzly 0750G uses the D1-5 spindle nose, the PM1236T uses the more common D1-4, Grizzly has 1 year warranty, the PM1236T is 3 years, Grizzly 32 inch cutting threads, PM1236T 40 inch cutting thread. One big advantage of the PM is it's offered in 3 phase 220. With 3 phase you can run it on single phase 220 through a VFD. The VFD will allow you many options for controlling speed above and below that of a single phase 220 motor. Three phase reduces low rpm surging, and you can install VFD inputs such as a proximity sensor for inside blind threading - or threading into a barrel shoulder. The Grizzly does come with an outboard spider, but that's an easy first project when you get your lathe up and running. None of this is to say the Grizzly is not a decent lathe, but PM offers some great alternatives. Just about everyone selling manual engine lathe is having them built in Taiwan or China. They may look identical, but check the specs out carefully. There are significant differences in quality.

Here's a review from one of the Hobby-Machinist forum members:

Reactions: 19E60
I bought a G0776, but a buddy, who is a retired Marine 2112, highly recommends the PM lathes. I wouldn't think you would go wrong either way. My mill is probably going to be a PM-833.
I have the PM833T. It's a great alternative to a knee mill when you don't have the space for a Bridgeport clone.

I have the PM833T. It's a great alternative to a knee mill when you don't have the space for a Bridgeport clone.

That's what I was thinking. i can't find anything else made in Taiwan and comparable in price. A used Bridgeport would be great, but I don't have the time or skill to refurbish it.

Make sure to check local classifieds! I got my grizzly for well under 3K with light use. 5K can get you an awesome used set up but I understand that something is to be said about a warrenty. I don't have any experience with PM but things I would look into is other peoples experiences with warranty work and if parts are easily available through them. I can order every part on my grizzly right off the web site. good luck!

I just bought the PM1340GT. Still setting it up, but fit and finish of the lathe is excellent. Lots of good information over at Hobby-Machinist.com. There is a PM sponsored sub-forum. To keep at your $5K budget, look at the PM1236T. It's the Taiwan manufactured model, with induction hardened and precision ground ways.

Some of the differences are the Grizzly 0750G uses the D1-5 spindle nose, the PM1236T uses the more common D1-4, Grizzly has 1 year warranty, the PM1236T is 3 years, Grizzly 32 inch cutting threads, PM1236T 40 inch cutting thread. One big advantage of the PM is it's offered in 3 phase 220. With 3 phase you can run it on single phase 220 through a VFD. The VFD will allow you many options for controlling speed above and below that of a single phase 220 motor. Three phase reduces low rpm surging, and you can install VFD inputs such as a proximity sensor for inside blind threading - or threading into a barrel shoulder. The Grizzly does come with an outboard spider, but that's an easy first project when you get your lathe up and running. None of this is to say the Grizzly is not a decent lathe, but PM offers some great alternatives. Just about everyone selling manual engine lathe is having them built in Taiwan or China. They may look identical, but check the specs out carefully. There are significant differences in quality.

Here's a review from one of the Hobby-Machinist forum members:

I took delivery of the PM 1340GT a few weeks ago. So far so good. Quality machine tools was easy to deal with as well.

If I had to make choice I would choose a milling machine over a lathe, milling machines are more useful machines

Looking for advice guys. I wanna buy either a precision mathews1236 or a grizzly 0750g. I know you get what you pay for and I don’t wanna spend over 5k. That being said, does anyone have experience with either of these lathes and what are your opinions on them? Thanks

CHECK CRAIGSLIST! And other local advertising.

I don't have a lathe, but I do have a Tree 2UVR Knee Mill. I got it from a Craigslist ad from a machine tool refurbisher/seller for $2500 was the listed price. I traded a custom 1911 I made for it.

My opinion, why not look for an old japanese lathe like a Mori, Okuma, or Mazak a nice taken care of Cadillac or Kent would be a much better machine both in accuracy and rigidity. I looked for a while and ended up finding a Mori Seiki gap bed lathe that can turn up 15" in diameter and 49" in length. We finish tolerances in the tenths with it. And it will last forever.

Reactions: aljones_315
My opinion, why not look for an old japanese lathe like a Mori, Okuma, or Mazak a nice taken care of Cadillac or Kent would be a much better machine both in accuracy and rigidity. I looked for a while and ended up finding a Mori Seiki gap bed lathe that can turn up 15" in diameter and 49" in length. We finish tolerances in the tenths with it. And it will last forever.

Exactly. My mill was made in Early 70's and still only has like .003-4" backlash on the lead screws, ways are good, quill is awesome. Great machine.

I'm sure there are ones like this in the OP's area.
Screenshot_20190204-214858.png

Reactions: aljones_315
It would be nice to be able to put hands on it whatever it is you find and check backlash and ways wear. Patience is key.