• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First long hog of the year

ollie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Apollo Pa
Well, we finaly are starting to get some better weather around here and with that the ground hogs are out. After work today i couldn't wait to get to the farm. After the long walk up to the water tower i set up and started to glass. I spotted one at 460yds, dialed 7.5min and sent one, splat just over him. Boy i hate it when i miss. Waited about 30min and out comes another one, i ranged him at 506yds. looking at my drop chart it said 8.5min, i decided to take .5 out as i shot over the last one. Took my time and waited for just the right wind. Aiming at his head so the wind would drift the 75gr amax into his shoulder. At the sound of the shot i saw him twitch and send up the surrender flag,his tail. He was only the fifth hog of the year and the bar has been set at 506. Going to be a great year.

XLR stocked .223
rock creek 8twt
vortex pst 6x24 FFP
Atlas bipod

Nice shot. Would love to see some pics...

ahh i can't wait! hopefully tomorrow afternoon will bring my first of the year. Nice shootin. You're only about 100 miles south of me I'm pretty sure. Most my family is still in the Wexford area.

Last edited:
Ollie,

Where are you hunting at? I have a couple places I get to go to in the Harmony/Butler area that are usually pretty good spots!

Thanks guys, I was hunting just outside apollo. I didnt think to snap any pics as we shoot about 100 or so through the year, i promise to post some pics of where we shoot from.
I think i get more excited about hunting ghogs than deer.

I can't stand hunting deer any more unless its archery. Groundhogs on the other hand I love. We hunt where I grew up about 40 min south of Erie. Almost all farmland with hunters plenty happy to let you shoot them