• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First long range setup - looking for advice

Jonathan DeBoer

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2022
Milbank South Dakota
I am looking to get into the precision centerfire world but I need some help making a decision. I am looking to break the 1000 yard barrier for the first time. I am looking at a 2 options but open to others suggestions:

1. Bighorn Origin or similar priced action
A. Interchangeable bolt faces
B. Higher Quality
C. Most aftermarket support as most are Rem 700 footprint

2. Semi custom Tikka or Bergara
A. Lower price
B. If I go with either one of these I will probably go for a base model and bulid it up from there
C. If I decided on a Tikka or Bergara what are the drawbacks compared to fully custom

I have a Timney trigger on my CZ 457 so I’d like to stick to something similar to that. For the total price I’d like to stay around $1800 - 2300 no optic. I am open buying used parts to keep the price down. I am still contemplating calibers, I need factory loads widely available as I don’t reload… at least for now. I want to prioritize lower cost per round and mild recoil. I’d like to keep the weight around 13 to 16 pounds as I will be doing a little deer hunting. I don’t have a preference in a chassis or stock as long as I can get a good cheek weld, it has a vertical style grip. Either route I go for will probably have a prefit barrel. I am just really looking for the best rifle for my situation and budget but I don’t know what is worth looking at or not.

Last edited:
Origin ~$900
Proof SS prefit in 6CM/6GT/6.5CM ~$550
KRG Bravo ~$400
TT Diamond ~$300
= ~$2150

Bighorn is not a bad way to go. I would do a bighorn before a factory action.
Remember, you have to include the cost of a trigger.
6.5 CM would be my recommendation. It offers better barrel life than the 6mm and less recoil than the .308.
You can shoot the lighter weight bullets like the 123 and 130 a LONG way.
You do have to be selective on your hunting ammo. I have become dissatisfied with the Hornady offerings as far as hunting ammo goes. Foe accuracy, it is excellent.
I'd look to an origin action, trigger of your choice, a good pre-fit or barrel nut barrel and either an oryx chassis or KRG Bravo as they are both relatively light and both are well made.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Depending on how quickly you are looking to start, ARC has the new Coup De Grace action for $899 preorder, but, the wait is starting to build, otherwise, the origin is a great starting point

Bighorn is not a bad way to go. I would do a bighorn before a factory action.
Remember, you have to include the cost of a trigger.
6.5 CM would be my recommendation. It offers better barrel life than the 6mm and less recoil than the .308.
You can shoot the lighter weight bullets like the 123 and 130 a LONG way.
You do have to be selective on your hunting ammo. I have become dissatisfied with the Hornady offerings as far as hunting ammo goes. Foe accuracy, it is excellent.
I'd look to an origin action, trigger of your choice, a good pre-fit or barrel nut barrel and either an oryx chassis or KRG Bravo as they are both relatively light and both are well made.
For someone just starting out, barrel life is a non issue. They aren't shooting in near the volume of what match folks shoot. Factory ammo is always plentiful for 6cm as well. And with proof prefits as cheap as they are, 6cm would be my choice. Less recoil, flatter shooting, and bucks the wind better.

The rest I agree with as long as it's a bravo and a shouldered proof prefit.

Origin or ARC CDG. The swappable bolt heads give you sooo many options down the road. If you can afford one of these actions there is literally no reason to consider a factory gun as an alternative.

I am looking to get into the precision centerfire world but I need some help making a decision. I am looking to break the 1000 yard barrier for the first time. I am looking at a 2 options but open to others suggestions:

1. Bighorn Origin or similar priced action
A. Interchangeable bolt faces
B. Higher Quality
C. Most aftermarket support as most are Rem 700 footprint

2. Semi custom Tikka or Bergara
A. Lower price
B. If I go with either one of these I will probably go for a base model and bulid it up from there
C. If I decided on a Tikka or Bergara what are the drawbacks compared to fully custom

I have a Timney trigger on my CZ 457 so I’d like to stick to something similar to that. For the total price I’d like to stay around $1800 - 2300 no optic. I am open buying used parts to keep the price down. I am still contemplating calibers, I need factory loads widely available as I don’t reload… at least for now. I want to prioritize lower cost per round and mild recoil. I’d like to keep the weight around 13 to 16 pounds as I will be doing a little deer hunting. I don’t have a preference in a chassis or stock as long as I can get a good cheek weld, it has a vertical style grip. Either route I go for will probably have a prefit barrel. I am just really looking for the best rifle for my situation and budget but I don’t know what is worth looking at or not.
We have both the Origin & Tikka. ANY reliable gun with a decent barrel will break 1k without a sweat if .308 or 6.5CM

6.5 will be easier to be more accurate with by quite a margin

I can hit 1k with .223 but not if the wind is blowing .

Tikka is a best value at $1.1k or so, maybe drop into a chassis if you want to. Great action, barrel, action. But limited upgrades, not that you need them. YoDave! trigger spring is nice for a lighter trigger; harder to get barrels for after you shoot the first one out, but they're almost disposable given the price. Super light and smooth action. the "easy button" if on a budget; quality of the gun is very high. factor in price of chassis or stock if you want to upgrade it for ergos. The factory stock is very lightweight. Front heavy if you pick it up, but makes for light weight for carrying/hunting.

Origin is a great value for the $. Not the smoothest, even with grease on the lugs like Zermatt recommends. But feels a lot more robust than Tikka (which has never had an issue). Lots of prefit barrel options, R700 parts interchangeability for chassis/stock and triggers. Zermatt plays well with Triggertech btw.

Both have been reliable in feeding, ejecting, everything. If they weren't I'd get them fixed.

Origin+ quality trigger + quality chassis/stock is the long term higher quality option.

Tikka is the quality budget option, but you're not going to upgrade much. the barrels are accurate, just a bit slow by reputation

In the first barrel, you won't notice much difference between the two. After that, do you want to swap caliber? Want a 2 stage trigger? More limited options for chassis/stock for Tikka.

Don't know if you care, but the Tikka is a shorter bolt distance movement up and down.

For someone just starting out, barrel life is a non issue. They aren't shooting in near the volume of what match folks shoot. Factory ammo is always plentiful for 6cm as well. And with proof prefits as cheap as they are, 6cm would be my choice. Less recoil, flatter shooting, and bucks the wind better.

The rest I agree with as long as it's a bravo and a shouldered proof prefit.
Not sure I agree. Many folks with a new rig will get out and shoot.
Some folks need to take into account cost. If they can get an extra 600 to 700 rounds per barrel, it may make a difference.

Update
I think the Origin will be a good fit for me. I am considering the MDT XRS or the Oryx and the KRG Bravo. Im not sure what barrel to go with, although have seen a few recommendations for the proof research steel. I like the Timney on my CZ 457. I’d like to try a 2 stage. I narrowed it down to 3 calibers. I would like to start off with a 308, 223 or a 6.5 creed. I don’t think a 223 could get me out to 1200 yards (how far I can shoot on my property) so I am leaning towards a 6.5 or 308.

Last edited:
Update
I think the Origin will be a good fit for me. I am considering the MDT XRS or the Oryx and the KRG Bravo. Im not sure what barrel to go with, although have seen a few recommendations for the proof research steel. I like the Timney on my CZ 457. I’d like to try a 2 stage. I narrowed it down to 3 calibers. I would like to start off with a 308, 223 or a 6.5 creed. I don’t think a 223 could get me out to 1200 yards (how far I can shoot on my property) so I am leaning towards a 6.5 or 308 and I I keep the weight down enough I can probably take down some deer.
Good start

I prefer two stage. But it’s a preference nothing wrong with single

For 1200 the 6.5 is a better choice. I love my 308’s for hunting but at 1200 they’ll struggle compared to the 6.5 cm with a 140 ish grain projectile

Watch the px here for guns or parts that fit your wants. Then if you decide to swap out later you literally loose nothing in $

Only thing bad about the Proof Steel prefits is that they are very heavy. If you’re wanting a lighter profile like a Medium Palma check out PVAs origin prefits.

Good start

I prefer two stage. But it’s a preference nothing wrong with single

For 1200 the 6.5 is a better choice. I love my 308’s for hunting but at 1200 they’ll struggle compared to the 6.5 cm with a 140 ish grain projectile

Watch the px here for guns or parts that fit your wants. Then if you decide to swap out later you literally loose nothing in $
In my case I where I want to keep the price down when I can I might still go for a single stage. In that case I will go for the 6.5 creed.

In my case I where I want to keep the price down when I can I might still go for a single stage. In that case I will go for the 6.5 creed.
Watch the sale section here for saving $$. Just don’t make “want to buy” ads and only buy from reputable members to avoid scams

You can find any component you want if your patient. Things like chassis can save a lot of $ as many try and sell until they find what they like. Things like Arca rails, spigots, folders and other chassis upgrades drive the price up quick when purchasing new.

Watch the sale section here for saving $$. Just don’t make “want to buy” ads and only buy from reputable members to avoid scams

You can find any component you want if your patient. Things like chassis can save a lot of $ as many try and sell until they find what they like. Things like Arca rails, spigots, folders and other chassis upgrades drive the price up quick when purchasing new.
Thanks I appreciate it. I have a possibility dumb question but how do you view the buy/sell section.

Update
I think the Origin will be a good fit for me. I am considering the MDT XRS or the Oryx and the KRG Bravo. Im not sure what barrel to go with, although have seen a few recommendations for the proof research steel. I like the Timney on my CZ 457. I’d like to try a 2 stage. I narrowed it down to 3 calibers. I would like to start off with a 308, 223 or a 6.5 creed. I don’t think a 223 could get me out to 1200 yards (how far I can shoot on my property) so I am leaning towards a 6.5 or 308.

Try a two stage before getting one. As mentioned it's personal preference but I am not a fan on precision rifles.

You can have all those calibers eventually with that set up with just changing the barrel and the bolt face for the .223. The .223 will make 1200 yards but the 6.5 will do it much easier.

And as mentioned on the barrels, look at PVA Osprey prefits. They are excellent. 13-16 pounds even with the Proof Comp Contour should be easily done.

Try a two stage before getting one. As mentioned it's personal preference but I am not a fan on precision rifles.

You can have all those calibers eventually with that set up with just changing the barrel and the bolt face for the .223. The .223 will make 1200 yards but the 6.5 will do it much easier.

And as mentioned on the barrels, look at PVA Osprey prefits. They are excellent. 13-16 pounds even with the Proof Comp Contour should be easily done.
I’ll check them out.

Regarding 2b

If you are going to buy any factory rifle, even a nicer one like a Bergara, and say”I’ll just build it up”, you might as well buy a turn-key package from one of the custom action makers or buy a pile of rifle Legos and assemble your exact spec rifle from parts

Reactions: pineoak
Thanks I appreciate it. I have a possibility dumb question but how do you view the buy/sell section.
Click on forums in your menu then scroll to the post exchange below

I believe you can view this. Don’t think there’s a buy in for looking or buying there. If you sell you need a paid subscription (supporting member). It may have changed so if you can’t find it you just may not have access without an upgrade

It’s like $20 a month to buy the subscription. Cancel if you decide you don’t want it. You’ll save more than that on one purchase there so for many it saves $ to pay for the access.

I paid for mine when I initially got here. Worth every penny. Of course I’ve spent more $$ than I care to admit here so if you call that saving money 🤔

Click on forums in your menu then scroll to the post exchange below

I believe you can view this. Don’t think there’s a buy in for looking or buying there. If you sell you need a paid subscription (supporting member). It may have changed so if you can’t find it you just may not have access without an upgrade

It’s like $20 a month to buy the subscription. Cancel if you decide you don’t want it. You’ll save more than that on one purchase there so for many it saves $ to pay for the access.

I paid for mine when I initially got here. Worth every penny. Of course I’ve spent more $$ than I care to admit here so if you call that saving money 🤔
Got it!