• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes first magnified optic ever.... please help.

kenndapp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
i use aimpoints on my two ar-15's and that is the only optic experience i have. i have recently been using a newish m14 and im over the honeymoon stage and would like some good glass on top of it. im looking for a meadium range optic for under $800.

intended purpose- target work and ranch fun in daylight as well as night from 50 to 600 yards (aprox.). -nocturnal predator (vermin) control. -Hunting (daylight and night)

most of this criteria can not be found all at once on any of the optics i have been looking at. there always seems to be some compramise. some are more important than others so, here goes.

-requirements-

-all weather durable and reliable (at least as tough as my aimpoints)

-illumination of reticle (or anything i can use at night. do not care how this is achieved)

-it was supposed to say "capped turrets" here but, i realized nothing i have been looking at has capped turrets so, lets just call this requirement "holds a zero". by that i mean, my turrets are not going to to be spun off zero with every little jolt and jostle of my riffle. the only time i want my turrets moved are when i move them.

-medium range variable- any where from 2.5x to 16x.

-easy to learn, understand, and use- first optic. need i say more?

-fast on target with the ability to have both eyes open- im not sure if this is an equipment thing or a marksmenship thing but, like i said "i only know aimpoints" so you should understand where i coming from with this. think running fox at 2:00 am dragging your chicken in its mouth.

- forgiving eye relief and eye box- again, with the aimpoint
(sorry).

so i have spent alot of time over the past few weeks reading the forums and googling my self half to death. what i have basically come up with is this:

-vortex viper pst 2.5-10x (or bigger brother) -confused on reticles, i have heard that the illuminated crosshairs are great in lowlight but very thin and not optimal in daylight.

trijicon accupoint 3-9x (and bigger brother 2.5-10x)-
here there is a triangle on a post reticle which would seem perfect for me but with a large variable power optic i think i want the more traditional reticle but i have heard you loose that aimpointish quality with out the posted triangle. very confused here.

i have looked at dozens of other optics but, after weeks and weeks of research im fairly sure those 2 manufactures and 4 models are what im after. please share ANY info you have with me. please feel free to share ANY info you have on ANY other optics that my suit me. like i stated, i have zero magnified optics experience so i know nothing feel free to teach me something. thank you for you responses.

Re: first magnified optic ever.... please help.

Check out the super sniper 10x or 3-9x mil/mil.... Good glass and options for the price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toddcal13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the super sniper 10x or 3-9x mil/mil.... Good glass and options for the price </div></div>

+1

You should be able to find something in their line that will work nicely for what your intending to do with it. I'm not sure that they come with illuminated reticles for the fixed 10x or the 3-9, but that shouldnt be a deal breaker, they are nice glass for the money.

Weaver 3-15 is a good optic for the money.

I usually prefer FFP scopes but not below 4x. The reticle is too small past that power. I have a NF 2.5-10 SFP with LV reticle. It's a good useful scope for 98% of what I can think of.

i looked hard at the swfa ss line. i have heard great things but no illuminated redicles. the vortex is said to be very forgiving in the way of eye relief and eye box which makes it very attractive to me. has any one had any experience in the way of the accupoints? how is the eye relief and eye box on them?

The best thing you can do for yourself is ditch the Aimpoint comparison. An unmagnified optic just doesn't work the same way so you're going to have to deal with issues like eye relief, parallax, etc. in magnified scopes.

got it. thank you. i still would like an optic that is easy to use and doesn't require a ultra precise cheek weld.

how do the accupoint reticles do in very low light? with barley no ambient light to power the fiber optic part how does the tritium do? i have heard folks say it is fine in low light but not all that useful at night when compared battery powered reticles. and then other folks say it just about perfect at any lighting level and would rather use the accupoint at night than any battery illuminated scope. can anyone comment on this?