• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifleman’s Team Challenge First match, how much positional/gaming to expect?

Smokerroller

Si vic pacem, Para bellum
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Sheridan, WY
My buddy and I are going to shoot our first match in 2020. Either Alder or Jordan. How much of the shooting in RTC is positional and barricade etc vs prone? How much of the shooting is off a tripod?
thanks

Last edited:
In all honesty… you shouldn’t worry about a tripod if it’s your first time. Just have your rifle on a bipod and maybe a rear bag(if not then I’m sure almost everyone would be willing to let you try some out).
As for the prone/position depends on what the MD wants. Usually, from what I have seen, there is 1-3 prone stages, one out to distance and mixed positional/task to accomplish, and the rest positional.
Don’t go trying to game out the gate. Have fun and work on fundamentals and different scenarios.

My buddie and I are going to shoot our first match in 2020. Either Alder or Jordan. How much of the shooting in RTC is positional and barricade etc vs prone? How much of the shooting is off a tripod?
thanks

RTC as in Riflemans Team Challenge in the West/Northwest?

if so, there is a ton of shooting from a tripod and not much barricade shooting. Sometimes the tripod is the only option for shooting in the terrain, or really really tall bipod legs.

Shoot more, worry less, learn as you go

While I agree, some matches like the RTC or the UKD Field match I shoot recently. Basically require a way to shoot standing/high kneeing without any props/etc providing support. So showing up without a tripod/tall bipod you are gonna be in for a pretty bad time.

Personally haven't been to a real RTC before but I hear a good tripod is pretty necessary.

How are you in for a bad time? If it's your first match you don't even know what a bad time looks like.

Ain't like it's every shot, and showing up and shooting is part of realizing what gear you need vs what gear every wanker out there TELLS you that you need.

Maybe you don't think carrying a tripod around for a weekend for a few shots is worth it. Only one way to find out, go shoot.

Part of getting new people into this is avoiding the sticker shock, if some rube tells you that you better have $1800 worth of equipment before you show up or "you're in for a bad time!"

Your time is what you make of it.

If you don't think taking a bunch of free hand shoots at 400+ yard 2MOA or small targets as a "bad time" then good for you man.

The last team field match I went to, the MD basically told us "bring tripods or tall shooting sticks". As 90% of the course of fire required it or else you were shooting standing free hand. Not sure of the coming gear's of RTC COFs is but I bet it's gonna be a lot of tripod shooting regardless.

I never said the OP need $1800 worth of gear, but if he's willing to spend the time + time off work to travel to a match in another state... bringing gear that lets you shoot the entire COF the intended way would be nice. Now you can often borrow gear, and most folks are friendly about it.

Welcome to the sport!!!
All I can say is that it’s kind of a rabbit hole in some ways, and be prepared to have a new hobby!!

I have been shooting the RTC for a few years now and I sure can’t recall coming across a barricade before, not saying you couldn’t, but it’s a little different COF vs PRS. As previously stated, you’ll probably have a few prone stages, a few positional stages(utilizing natural terrain), and expect to see a mover. Tall bipods/shooting sticks are highly recommended to shoot from high kneeling/sitting, and Tripods can come in handy to have along.

But my biggest advice to you and your buddy is to really work on your communication between you. As a team match, that is absolutely critical to be able to communicate efficiently between each other. I have personally witnessed some amazing individual shooters really struggle with this team aspect. So really work on calling corrections for each other, reading the wind together, and making a plan together. Decide and practice who’s ranging the targets on the blind stages, who’s shooting first, and so on.

I’m a huge fan of the team aspect, it’s a ton of fun, a great community of people, and both of those matches you spoke of are absolutely amazing places to burn gun powder at.

Good luck, holler if you have any other questions, and hope to see you and your partner out there!!!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We are looking for a match that is less contrived and more applicable to the real world. I have been in the discipline for several years and won't need to buy anything new to shoot a match, but I might. I am glad to hear there aren't any barricades and we will continue to practice communication and shooting from a tripod.
Thanks for the comments.

Welcome to the sport!!!
All I can say is that it’s kind of a rabbit hole in some ways, and be prepared to have a new hobby!!

I have been shooting the RTC for a few years now and I sure can’t recall coming across a barricade before, not saying you couldn’t, but it’s a little different COF vs PRS. As previously stated, you’ll probably have a few prone stages, a few positional stages(utilizing natural terrain), and expect to see a mover. Tall bipods/shooting sticks are highly recommended to shoot from high kneeling/sitting, and Tripods can come in handy to have along.

But my biggest advice to you and your buddy is to really work on your communication between you. As a team match, that is absolutely critical to be able to communicate efficiently between each other. I have personally witnessed some amazing individual shooters really struggle with this team aspect. So really work on calling corrections for each other, reading the wind together, and making a plan together. Decide and practice who’s ranging the targets on the blind stages, who’s shooting first, and so on.

I’m a huge fan of the team aspect, it’s a ton of fun, a great community of people, and both of those matches you spoke of are absolutely amazing places to burn gun powder at.

Good luck, holler if you have any other questions, and hope to see you and your partner out there!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CORam and Lkeyes
Learn with your eyes from experienced shooters. Keep it simple and slow down. Forget about the timer (often times stages are designed to puch for time and make you rush), focus on making good hits. Fast misses don't win matches.

My buddy and I are going to shoot our first match in 2020. Either Alder or Jordan. How much of the shooting in RTC is positional and barricade etc vs prone? How much of the shooting is off a tripod?
thanks

Sir,

My wife and I run the Jordan, (AEM Steel Challenge) match with the help of many friends and dedicated shooters...
We have worked hard the last couple of years to encourage new shooters and teams to come and have a great time in the RTC and field matches. They are different than the PRS/NRL matches. We work to design stages that fit the environment and utilize the terrain to make the shooting interesting. In 10 years of hosting matches, we have never had a barricade...(unless you were shooting in the 1 day regional 308 matches) but we have had pickups, 4x4's, trees, brush, cutbanks, dams, stumps ect...

Please do not get caught up in the gear. If you don't have a tripod and need one for a stage, there will be one available. It might not be the top of the line stuff, but it will get the job done. I would suggest following Lkeyes advice. The team comms and working together are a huge component. Know in advance who will do what and how... Also make sure you have hard printed data... Our stages all require ranging and dope info on the clock...we have worked to make the time reasonable for the stage. Have dope cards and a way to mark them and communicate with your partner...
Be prepared to move with your equipment and change mags... Bring binoculars...
We work to make the stages blind...so you can not discuss or see what is going on prior to your team shooting it. We try to keep it so other teams can not communicate what to expect...
There will be movers... and components to them to keep it interesting..

Most of all, we really work to make it fun, something that we want to go shoot. The camaraderie among the RTC group is fantastic - you can't go wrong choosing to shoot these matches.
Please feel free to ask any questions...

Last edited:
Thanks for the great reply. It sounds like the RTC is what we are looking for. We settled on the Alder match and we will work on what you mentioned.

Sir,

My wife and I run the Jordan, (AEM Steel Challenge) match with the help of many friends and dedicated shooters...
We have worked hard the last couple of years to encourage new shooters and teams to come and have a great time in the RTC and field matches. They are different than the PRS/NRL matches. We work to design stages that fit the environment and utilize the terrain to make the shooting interesting. In 10 years of hosting matches, we have never had a barricade...(unless you were shooting in the 1 day regional 308 matches) but we have had pickups, 4x4's, trees, brush, cutbanks, dams, stumps ect...

Please do not get caught up in the gear. If you don't have a tripod and need one for a stage, there will be one available. It might not be the top of the line stuff, but it will get the job done. I would suggest following Lkeyes advice. The team comms and working together are a huge component. Know in advance who will do what and how... Also make sure you have hard printed data... Our stages all require ranging and dope info on the clock...we have worked to make the time reasonable for the stage. Have dope cards and a way to mark them and communicate with your partner...
Be prepared to move with your equipment and change mags... Bring binoculars...
We work to make the stages blind...so you can not discuss or see what is going on prior to your team shooting it. We try to keep it so other teams can not communicate what to expect...
There will be movers... and components to them to keep it interesting..

Most of all, we really work to make it fun, something that we want to go shoot. The camaraderie among the RTC group is fantastic - you can't go wrong choosing to shoot these matches.
Please feel free to ask any questions...

Reactions: Lkeyes