• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First OCW Test Tikka 22-250

okr4zyo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
North Dakota
Hey, this is my first OCW test that I have done. This is my first range session with this rifle as I bought it a couple days ago. Any input or tips are welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

Tikka T3 Lite 22-250
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 CDS
Warne 1" Tikka Rings
Harris 6-9 Swivel Bipod
Butler Creek Scope Covers
Sierra Matchkings 52g
H380 Powder
Winchester Brass/Primers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Target 1

38.0g .580 MOA
38.3g .546 MOA
38.6g .740 MOA
38.9g .861 MOA
39.2g .450 MOA
More on next target

Target 2

39.5g .126 MOA
39.8g .644 MOA
40.1g .587 MOA
40.4g 1.446 MOA

Obviously the charge for this load is 39.5g since it is the smallest vertical spread. I would like to know where should I go from here? Should I do another OCW test for charges 39.0-40.0 with .2g intervals? I am new to this and I would like some suggestions or help.

Thanks

Re: First OCW Test Tikka 22-250

I shoot H380 outta my 22-250 as well i use a magnum primer with mine seems to like it better might try that and see if your rifle likes it as well

I always thought that the use of a magnum primer is for magnum rifles only, as I use them in my .270 wsm.

Looks like you have a tackdriver!

If you want to go for higher velocity, then work up to whatever the max load is for the reloading books that you have, just make sure that you look for pressure signs. The Hodgdon manual says 41 grains is the max load for 52 grain bullets, and I find that Hodgdon is right on the money for max loads. I don't have a 22-250 though.

There may be a higher node for you close to max charge, which usually is the better one, but the lower one for your gun looks like it's in the 39.2 - 39.6ish range, and judging by the groups you're getting, I would stick with it. The OCW method calls for loading five rounds in each charge for the next part of the test and shooting them at 300 yards. I load three. Once I find what looks like a node with the first part of the test, I then narrow my charges into .1 grain increments and shoot them at 200 yards, as I have easy access to that range. That gives a firm indication that I have isolated the node.

My advice for your particular load would be to load up three each from 39.3 - 39.7 in .1 grain increments and shoot them somewhere around 300 yards in the morning before the wind gets going. Some or all of them should hit vertically at about the same point. Pick the charge that is in the center of the most consistent of several groups - that is your charge weight. You can then play with seating depth to affect accuracy. When I play with the seating depth, I do .05" increments in five round batches and shoot them at 100 yards.

***Edit to add: it's real easy to pick a charge that made a tight group, but may be not be hitting close the the charge above or below it. I have done that and ended up with a load that shoots great at 80 degrees on Sunday, but makes buckshot groups when the weather changes. Just keep in mind that the intent behind the OCW method is to find the most consistent load across the temperature variables of where you shoot, and not necessarily the best group. Looks like you're on the right track in the 39.2 - 39.8 grain range.