• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing first pistol deer

ollie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2008
Apollo Pa
Have to tell someone, today after work i went down in the hollow in back of where i live to hunt deer for 45min before dark. I grabed my new savage striker in 7-08 with a vortex scope for the job. Well after about 20min i see a deer about 300yds away, get it in the scope and i see horns. With only 3 days left in the season i decided if its a legal deer im going to take a shot. When he gets to about 200yds i see four points on the right side, legal deer. He started working his way to me and at 154yds he started to go into the grapevine thicket. Now or never, i put the crosshairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger, BANG, i forgot the brake was on and boy is it loud. The deer just started to trot away, did i hit him? After my ears started to come back i walked down to where he was and i find blood, lots of it. After about 30yds there he was,a nice 8pt, hit him right in the hart. He will feed my family this winter. thank you, i know im long winded.

Re: first pistol deer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have to tell someone, today after work i went down in the hollow in back of where i live to hunt deer for 45min before dark. I grabed my new savage striker in 7-08 with a vortex scope for the job. Well after about 20min i see a deer about 300yds away, get it in the scope and i see horns. With only 3 days left in the season i decided if its a legal deer im going to take a shot. When he gets to about 200yds i see four points on the right side, legal deer. He started working his way to me and at 154yds he started to go into the grapevine thicket. Now or never, i put the crosshairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger, BANG, i forgot the brake was on and boy is it loud. The deer just started to trot away, did i hit him? After my ears started to come back i walked down to where he was and i find blood, lots of it. After about 30yds there he was,a nice 8pt, hit him right in the hart. He will feed my family this winter. thank you, i know im long winded. </div></div>

It is fun isn't it? Took a deer last year with my Encore pistol. Loved it so much I used ty exclusively this year.

Thanks,

Used a vortex 6.5x20 viper and hornday 139sp.

I'd love to pistol hunt someday. Can you post some pics of you rig?

Great write up too
smile.gif

Had a Striker chambered in 308 and killed lots of deer with it several years ago. Congrats on doing it the hard way!

Great job, 4pt must be out west in PA.
I should've had my first pistol deer this year as well but he ninja'd me coming in closer than I could draw, so smashed'm with
the rifle.
I do, however, second the need for a pic.