• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First post. be gentle..AR "Sniper" Build

jmichael99

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Im going to have it build by a local builder so here is the parts we are thinking

Krieger barrel standered 1/9 twist, bull and stainless, probably 24in threaded for muzzle brake and later a can

stainless bolt carrier, i would get chrome is there is an advantage?

Upper receiver-not sure

flat top of course

for glass ill probably get a bushnell 4200 elite, i have one and i really like it.. but thats after i get the gun

i have a lower already and a RRA parts kit.

can someone point me to a trigger?

unsure on what stock right now

My main concern is the upper and what price im looking at. just trying to compare prices

Re: First post. be gentle..AR "Sniper" Build

Jewel, Timney, Geissele, Wilson TTU, RRA, etc. If your lower already has a trigger you can send it out to Williams or Bill Springfield for a trigger job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geissele</div></div>This.

What brand lower do you have? Do they sell stripped uppers?

Not to be hating but 24" seems kinda long, any particular reason for that? Once you put a can on it, it's going to be roughly 30+" long!

For a stock I really like the ace skeleton (long version) or just a standard a2. As for triggers the #1 seems to be Gesellie, I personally run jewels but some say they act up when they get dirty or used hard(mine have worked perfectly and adjust up nicely).

The biggest thing I see that I do not like about your build is the 24 bull, that thing will be so front heavy it will almost tip over !! I built one and sold the barrel two weeks later. Truck axles belong on trucks!
wink.gif

Think about a standard HBAR 20" like the DMR fluted from white oak armament (you should really consider them for building your whole upper, they do great work, are fairly priced and have a killer reputation.) If you have to have a bull barrel look at their space gun upper.

You can save/divert money from the chrome bolt carrier by getting a standard but quality BCG. Chrome wipes down easier but doesn't make it any more accurate. I'm not impressed but roll with what you want.

Good trigger, good barrel, free float it, rest stock. Throw more money at glass, ammo, whatever.

Everyone of my AR's have Geissele triggers in them and I wouldn't have anything else.

JMan, I think you have to consider what you are actually going to be doing with the new upper. As mentioned above a 24 inch bull barrel is going to be a hefty upper especially with a can mounted on the end of it, but probably fine if you are just going to be shooting from the prone. I might want to think about a different twist than 1/9, maybe a little quicker especially if you are looking to shoot some of the heavier pills that are available in 223. As for triggers, I haven't found Bill Springfields $40 trigger job wanting, Rock River isn't bad, Geissele obviously are stars, just pick the right one for your application. As for stocks, I prefer the LMT sopmod, simply comfortable for me, Magpul ACS and PRS are others that come to mind. You mentioned price, what price are you talking about, if you want a good quality accurate upper for a decent price talk with Scott here on the Hide with Specialized dynamics. Otherwise the upper a $100, a decent barrel $300, (Kreiger more)bolt/carrier $150, $75 for misc, and then the forend rail $100-$350.

I have an 18" 1/7 Douglas, and it's tits. I wouldn't go with anything more than 1/8, but the 1/7 is great for heavy pills. That long barrel just isn't needed.

My trigger is a Geissele SSA-E, and it is a damned nice trigger that breaks beautifully.

are you a sniper? only snipers have sniper rifles.

Geiselle is the more popular trigger, JP makes excellent FCGs, and the Wilson Combat TTU is the new kid on the block which I really like. Also check out AR Gold.

Your stock of choice will depend on what kind of shooting you're gonna do. Is it going to be strictly bench? Keep in mind that with a 24" barrel, that sucker is gonna be a pig and a bit cumbersome to lug around or even try to shoulder fire. If it's going to be bench, I'd go with Magpul PRS.

Also, what caliber are you going for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geissele</div></div>This.

What brand lower do you have? Do they sell stripped uppers?

Not to be hating but 24" seems kinda long, any particular reason for that? Once you put a can on it, it's going to be roughly 30+" long! </div></div>

I have a spikes lower. They sell uppers. you thinking i should get the same upper as lower?

I know 24 is long. Its going to be for bench shooting. iv been thinking of 20in as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel, Timney, Geissele, Wilson TTU, RRA, etc. If your lower already has a trigger you can send it out to Williams or Bill Springfield for a trigger job. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. i checked out RRA already and i just looked at Geissele. not sure which one to get at Geissele but if you all think its good i might go with what you all rec

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMan, I think you have to consider what you are actually going to be doing with the new upper. As mentioned above a 24 inch bull barrel is going to be a hefty upper especially with a can mounted on the end of it, but probably fine if you are just going to be shooting from the prone. I might want to think about a different twist than 1/9, maybe a little quicker especially if you are looking to shoot some of the heavier pills that are available in 223. As for triggers, I haven't found Bill Springfields $40 trigger job wanting, Rock River isn't bad, Geissele obviously are stars, just pick the right one for your application. As for stocks, I prefer the LMT sopmod, simply comfortable for me, Magpul ACS and PRS are others that come to mind. You mentioned price, what price are you talking about, if you want a good quality accurate upper for a decent price talk with Scott here on the Hide with Specialized dynamics. Otherwise the upper a $100, a decent barrel $300, (Kreiger more)bolt/carrier $150, $75 for misc, and then the forend rail $100-$350. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. im still debating between the 20 and 24 barrel

i thought about the twist rate. I already had a ton of 556 xm193 and some remington 223 so i wanted to stick with a twist where i can use my current ammo and im going to pick up some match ammo. still figuring out what kind im going to get. maybe hornady. i dont reload yet but i will sometime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splattermatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something like this ?
cept with threads.

1/8 twist, and a jewell trigger.

0d789844.jpg
</div></div>

This is similar what i want it to look like but without the stainless scope lol

what kind of stock is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you a sniper? only snipers have sniper rifles.

Geiselle is the more popular trigger, JP makes excellent FCGs, and the Wilson Combat TTU is the new kid on the block which I really like. Also check out AR Gold.

Your stock of choice will depend on what kind of shooting you're gonna do. Is it going to be strictly bench? Keep in mind that with a 24" barrel, that sucker is gonna be a pig and a bit cumbersome to lug around or even try to shoulder fire. If it's going to be bench, I'd go with Magpul PRS.

Also, what caliber are you going for? </div></div>

it will be 223/556

in your sig how much was the setup for your 308? iv also considered building on of them too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yooper time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That is the Magpul PRS stock. Very nice if you are going to bench shoot. </div></div>

I like mine, and the only time I shoot off a bench is through a chrono...

18" bbl is ideal for 223 in semi auto platform IMHO. If your going to run a can eventually why do you need the added length? Thats going to be a really awkward rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you a sniper? only snipers have sniper rifles.

Also, what caliber are you going for? </div></div>

it will be 223/556

in your sig how much was the setup for your 308? iv also considered building on of them too</div></div>

Much more than I thought, I should've just gone with a GAP/OBR/other custom, but it was my first AR and I didn't know any better. If you plan on shooting alot of cheap ammo, don't expect to see much accuracy out of XM193. I still think 24" is way too long. I personally wouldn't go more than 18". I'm building an AR15 now, waiting for Uncle Sam to contribute to the funding.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...685#Post2453685

A 1/8 twist will shoot xm193 just fine and let you shoot the heaviest mag length rounds as well. Another source for an upper is surplus ammo and arms. They sell a stripped aero precision for about $60. Aero manufactures many of the name brand upper and lowers.

The 18" SPR is about the ideal length IMO for a long range AR15. Let's face it, you are not going to shoot 1k with a mag fed AR15. Most of it is going to be 600 yards and in.

I would also skip the 1:9 twist and go with either a 7 or 8 twist so you can shoot the heavier bullets.

i have mine set up for plates, and praire rats.
shoots 60 gr. v max's into ragged holes.

I'd recommend the Giessele as well. I have one and its worth it.

I also have the PRS stock and enjoy that as well.

Barrel length is up to you but a 16" will be just as accurate but depending on your intended shooting distances the velocity may or may not matter.

I just (finally) shot my new WOA 18" 1/7 this evening ... after zeroing it shot mk262 gov't reject ammo (5.56 77gr OTM) into a best group of .68" @ 100 yds. It also really liked BH reman .223 69gr OTM.

I'm sure the rifle can do better as I'm rusty from a long winter of limited shooting and my budget scope has crosshairs the thickness of uncooked spaghetti.

+ another vote for 1/8 or 1/7 and a shorter bbl unless you're shooting only light bullets ... then you might as well go .204 Ruger.

GL with your build.

+1 for Geiselle, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, and any barrel shorter than 20in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to have it build by a local builder so here is the parts we are thinking

Krieger barrel standered 1/9 twist, bull and stainless, probably 24in threaded for muzzle brake and later a can

stainless bolt carrier, i would get chrome is there is an advantage?

Upper receiver-not sure

flat top of course

for glass ill probably get a bushnell 4200 elite, i have one and i really like it.. but thats after i get the gun

i have a lower already and a RRA parts kit.

can someone point me to a trigger?

unsure on what stock right now

My main concern is the upper and what price im looking at. just trying to compare prices </div></div>

I'm assuming this is in 223 or 5.56mm NATO, right? If so, then here are my thoughts: (ETA sorry, responded before reading the whole thread)

1. Barrel length: no need to go beyond 20". 18" would do just fine for a "sniper" role.
2. Barrel twist: For a "precision" application I would go with a 1:7 or at the most 1:8 twist. You are going to want to shoot the heavier bullets for longer range and a 1:9 may hold you back here. A 1:7 will shoot 55gr bullets just fine. It may be a bit tight of a twist for 40gr VMax bullets, but anything 55gr or heavier will be fine in a 1:7 twist.
3. Bolt Carrier: You probably can't get much more bang for your buck than a BCM bolt and carrier. DD and LMT also make good products, and the one most people seem to compare to is Colt. Young seems to make some bling bolt carrier groups as well that some like, but I'm not sure spending the extra on a Young is going to give you that much extra over a standard BCM.
4. Trigger: no experience with them, but everyone seems to rave about the Gieselle (sp?) triggers. Spendy, but they say they are worth it. I'll probably look hard at one for my next build myself.
5. Stock: There are a number of good stocks out there that are collapsable, but for a dedicated precision rig I would look long and hard at the standard A2 stock. You may want to remove the sling attachment. Other good options would be the MagPul PRS and ACS stocks.

Sounds like a fun project. Have fun and post pics when you're finished.

Yet another vote for Geissle - have two of them on my ARs. Tried the RRA and POF (timney) and I like the geissle most. Best single addition outside of good glass I did for my POF.

My new Noveske built N6 came with the basic trigger (not a Geiselle). I upgraded it right away with a Geiselle SSA-E trigger... amazingly nice.