• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First post, first precision rifle.

gewehrmonkey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
NV
Greetings!
I have been a shooter and black rifle guy for a long time, but I finally entered the precision rifle game. I had kinda hemmed and hawed because it means so much learning and I have limited time to play.
The rifle: Remington700P. I saw an ad on a local website offering this gun with a simmons 6.5-20x, EGW 15moa rail, harris slm. The rifle is listed as great condition but with an irrepairable crack in the stock. $650. I sent an email offering $400 and after some haggling I went to pick it up for that price. The seller was actually a nice guy in a tough spot and I almost felt bad about the deal. Before I agreed, I had to know how the stock got cracked. Apparently, he got it from the original owner who took the NIB Stock off the action and cut it through the Bedding block with the intent of making it a folder!!
b7f62fc9.jpg

bac814eb.jpg

A buddy of mine has the same rifle, but wanted to add a Choate stock, so I bought him one and we swapped. I sold the "busted" stock on arfcom for $40 .

I added my Leupold varixII 3-9 until I can afford better glass. I think it will be a 10x SS.
I also ordered another adapter from Stacey Blankenship and will have it added to the Remmy so I can add my SAS can.
I will continue to lurk until I have something worthwhile to add and keep learning.

Re: First post, first precision rifle.

Welcome to the Hide!

You'll fit in great here:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gewehrmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold the "busted" stock on arfcom for $40 .
</div></div>

"For sale, one 700P stock already prepped for a folder. Guaranteed to make your 700 more airborne ready and still be snipery on the ground."
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralph_70_bjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How could someone have really thought the rifle would fold in half at the action? </div></div>
Best I can figure is that he thought the action would hold the stock together, which it kinda did. If you werent bothered by the wiggle and play, it seemed perfectly viable for a major Hollywood feature film starring maybe someone gunny, like Matt Damon or Mark Wahlberg.

I can't help but laugh. Seriously didn't the person realize that he cut the stock where the barrel is, so there is no way that it could fold?

Reminds me off labels on Iron that say "Do Not Iron Clothes on body"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't help but laugh. Seriously didn't the person realize that he cut the stock where the barrel is, so there is no way that it could fold?

Reminds me off labels on Iron that say "Do Not Iron Clothes on body" </div></div>

Maybe, just maybe the person who cut the stock knew something THAT YOU DID NOT!!!
smile.gif
and No it was not me. How about the fact that HS Precision makes a Take Down rifle! I'm not saying its a great idea, but the butcher had a plan.

TTD-223BARE-4106.jpg