• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First precision rifle build.

Mr.Randomguy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Thinking about building a new rifle with long range shooting inn mind. Have a couple of options: Buy a half done remington 700 action, with a new barrel inn 260.rem and a mcmillan thumbhole stock on it. Or starting from scratch with a new Remington 700 LTR inn 308. I will have the option to use the action if i want a 260 or 243 barrel, right?
I have some experience with rifle building from hunting rifles.
I do have some thinking time, cause main focus now is too buy a car. (Even tho i thought about new rifle before car
grin.gif
)
So the question is what should a beginner choose?

Re: First precision rifle build.

Do you handload? I'm guessing not. If you buy the LTR (or other Varmint or "Tactical" Remington .308 Win), just shoot it as is until you get a skillset and learn what you're doing.

Go with the Rem 5r .308 and upgrade the stock, trigger , and good optics. Boom. Go learn how to shoot a long ways. Those rifles get great accuracy out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheels to get to the range first. </div></div>

Kinda fundamental......

Ps ... I think your already getting the right mindset for this journey if your considering gun vs transportation.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheels to get to the range first. </div></div>Now that's good advice right there. Priorities.
smile.gif

yes, you can switch the barrel to 260 or 243 later. For starters going with 308 since there is a lot of match ammo available is a good idea.

1. Car
2a. 308 if you don't reload
2b. .260/.243 if you do
2b1. .260 if you go Remington (better barrel life)
2b2. Either cal if you go Savage (you'll have a 10 min switch barrel gun).

Lots of good advice's here! appreciate it. I pretty much have a range behind my house so distance to the range ain't no problem. But i have made up my mind about car before rifle. Already have 4 rifles, but they are rigged for hunting. So i just have too save up some money after i get a truck, for the long range gun. I am inn the starting fase of reloading so that wont be a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Randomguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of good advice's here! appreciate it. I pretty much have a range behind my house so distance to the range ain't no problem. But i have made up my mind about car before rifle. Already have 4 rifles, but they are rigged for hunting. So i just have too save up some money after i get a truck, for the long range gun. I am inn the starting fase of reloading so that wont be a problem. </div></div>

Get a package deal with a car and a dictionary for proper spelling too
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a package deal with a car and a dictionary for proper spelling too
smile.gif
</div></div>

I was afraid that someone would be offended by my spelling. But you see, i'm not American or English.