• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

first precision rifle: gas or bolt gun

TXTransplant

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
Austin, TX
Looking to get my first precision rifle. Budget, including glass, is $2000. They just opened a 1000 yard range 40 mins up the road from here and I'm planning at some point in the next 6 months to take a PR class.

Anyway, seems like I can pick up a DPMS gas gun with a cheap float tube and decent glass for about $2000, or a savage 10FP/ cheaper rem 700 and get even better glass for less and have money for ammo. Will get 308 just cause it's easy and seems like the standard, at least for beginners.

Slightly inclined toward the semi auto as I'd like to also be able to use the gun for hogs, was thinking an 18" barrel. But I have other guns I can use for hogs as well, both 5.56 m4geries and bolt action sporter rifles.

I've read a lot of posts on here saying that gas guns are much harder to master for PR shooting--the recoil impulse on gas guns is different, the lock time is longer, or something--basically that they're much harder to shoot than bolt guns are.

I've done some reloading in the past, but to be honest I am probably not going to be able to spend a lot of time in load development, I'd rather just blow the money on factory ammo and spend my limited time shooting. Hope that's not sacrilege.

In terms of where I'm at as a shooter, I've shot a handful of service rifle matches in the past (with borrowed guns) so I've got a few basic skills, busted plenty of steel targets with iron sighted m4geries at 300-400 yards, have basic grasp of NPA, etc, but that's about it. Pistol I'm a little more experienced with, usually score a bit above 250 on Hackathorn standards tests. Basically most people on this forum are way above my knowledge level. Don't know how much of that is really going to relate to PR type shooting, just trying to establish a baseline for where I'm starting from.

Sorry this is a long post.

Re: first precision rifle: gas or bolt gun

Start with a bolt, it's easier to learn. I'd say a Remington with a decent stock- 700P, LTR, or 5R, and get as much scope as you can afford with the rest.

I chose to start with a gasser. Reason: I already had one when I decided to take up this discipline. I figure once I "master" the gas platform I'll work on bolt guns and maybe be a little bit above the curve.

Only time will tell.

Buy whatever rifle you are most excited to shoot. The key to becoming a good shot is going to the range, so if you like the rig, you're much more likely to hit the range and train. That's what it's all about. Bolt guns are a bit easier to drive accurately, but I know guys who've spent so much time shooting ARs that the difference is negligable.

I would say you shouldn't discount reloading. Unless you are rolling in money, you've gotten yourself into a really pricey hobby if you're primarily going to shoot factory ammo.

10-4 on the reloading, the budget is definitely limited. Was just thinking that the first major hurdles to overcome would be the operator, rather than the equipment. My only problem with reloading I did before was it seemed to take up a lot of time, which in a way costs money, depending on how you look at it.

A Savage 10 in 223 or 308 should not be overlooked. The cost saved out of the box from the Savage can be quickly applied to a Choate stock and I've yet to see a Savage that won't shoot, especially with some judicious hand loading.

By the time you pickup a Savage, Super Sniper Scope or a Viper PST and a Choate you're in for right about $1500, leaving you enough money to get some components and quality entry level reloading supplies.

Trigger control on the gas gun is harder, but in time controllable. I went from an AI bolt gun to an AR-10, not getting the same groups I was getting, but it still shoots 1/2MOA on a good day. I wanted the gas gun for quick engagement on multiple targets. After shooting 3 targets at 500 yards very quickly I was sold, completely. My vote is an AR-10.

Here's mine.
AR10.jpg

So is it follow through that makes shooting the gas guns harder? Longer lock time? Longer total firing cycle time?

I would say so. I think you can screw up a shot much easier with a gas gun than you can a bolt gun. Don't let that send you running, because since building mine (month ago), I have gotten used to the 2 stage trigger.

Knowing your rifle and practice is all you need. I was timid about the AR-10, but after watching a few SH training videos and practicing follow through, it was a piece of cake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is it follow through that makes shooting the gas guns harder? Longer lock time? Longer total firing cycle time? </div></div>

Something like that. Mine was a PITA to get used to but I love it now.

AICS $800
SPS Varmint $500
Leuopld MK 4 $800
Rings, Mount, Trigger Tune, $250
Easy half MOA shooter.

My .02 would be a Rem 700. Either an B&C Stock,AICS,Manners or however much money you want to spend on a stock, just read up on em. Then you have money for glass and ammo. For hogs i dont see why a bolt gun wouldnt do just fine.
Usually when you pop one the rest take off.

Yeah I've been shooting hogs with my M4gery anyway-- the 64 grain gold dots (5.56) work pretty well. Found that you can sometimes get two if you are quick--the little ones get confused sometimes. The .223 works fine for that, actually.

Leaning toward starting with a bolt gun. I just came into a Sightron 10x42 mildot scope, courtesy of Sightrons good customer service--had an issue with a scope I bought from them years ago and they upgraded me for next to nothing. So the glass is taken care of, at least for now--later I can worry about USO, etc. Now I just need to find a rifle and mounts.

Now I