• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First Precision Rifle Scope for a New Guy

DrXyas

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2014
Hey everyone. I just joined a gun range and have started to do some long range shooting and decided I wanted to start getting into precision shooting. After some thought I decided I wanted to start off with a .22lr and start with the basics. I purchased a Savage Mark II FV-SR 16.5 inch barrel that I got from a friend for a screaming deal. He's fired it about 10 times is all and it looks brand new. Anyways, it has a rail on it already and I'll just need to get a scope and rings. I'm looking to spend less than $400 for the scope but want something that I could eventually move up to a .308 and do out to 600-800 yard shooting with. I would prefer a Mil/Mil and it doesn't matter to me at this time of SFP or FFP. The scopes that I was considering are listed below:

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope

And my friend said he would sell me this scope for about $360.

Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x 40mm - ET5154

I'm not sure which one to go with. I figured I'd ask all of you intelligent people and go from there. If you have any other recommendations for the scopes let me know. Anymore thoughts? Any and all help is greatly appreciated and let me know if you need anymore information from me! Thanks again!

Swfa has 10x scopes fixed magnification for 400 with side focus and about 300 without

There's also the BSA tactical 4-14, FFP mil/mil with 6 mil per turn and focuses to 10Y.

The SWFA 3-15 can be found used for around $600 and same for the Bushnell tactical 3-12, both are a good value for the money.

Stay with FFP because you'll want a mil to be a mil no matter what mag the scope is on.

If going on a rimfire, it's really hard to beat the SWFA scopes. The fixed power focuses down to 10 meters, the3-15 down to 6! I have played with Steve' s BSA, and it seems to be a pretty good scope, but I am not sure if I would trust it on a center-fire rifle.

Being new I'm always willing to learn so I have a few more questions. Is the 10x good enough to eventually shoot out to 6-800 yards? Would it be possible to shoot at things closer (for example if I wanted to use it as a varmint rifle and am shooting at squirrels 25 yards out)?

I'm also considering on upping my price to $500 if that opens anything else up. I did find these over at cameralandNY and wasn't sure if anyone has dealt with them before, I thought they were a site sponsor here? I'm also having a hard time finding out if the mil version of these scopes are mil/mil or mil/moa. Any input?

Vortex - Camera Land NY is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44

Vortex - Camera Land NY is the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

Any thoughts on these? They have the demo of the mRad Vortex Viper PST for $499 which would be right in my price range. Thanks for all the help so far!

Can't beat the price and quality of the SWFA SS scopes with Lifetime warranty. I have the 20X fixed on my Savage 22LR trainer for my old eyes, but the 10X should suit your young eyes better and it's their only fixed offering with the parallex side focus. Best way to ease into true LR shooting. Good luck.

another +1 on the SWFA, I'm running their 16X on an FVSR for rimfire matches, and I've put in on a 7-300WSM with PLENTY of recoil and it's lived up to it's billing. Great scopes for the $$$