• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First precision rifle

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I am working on getting the funds for a rifle and scope to start shooting longer ranges. I have been looking at the Ruger precision rifle, the savage 10, Howa APR and HCR, Remington Magpul enhanced and Tikka. My funds should be about $2,000 for a rifle and scope. I already think I know I want a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 FFP. As for a rifle, I want a .308. I usually lean toward a longer barrel, The Howa can be had with a 26 inch where most others are 20. I really like the looks of the chassis rifles but wonder if you can beat on them. The Remington looks tougher. My gun will be dirty, muddy, probably dropped.... I take care of my stuff, but I also use it so definitely not a safe queen.
So what do you guys think of the guns I listed? I'm not a giant, but also not a dwarf, 5'10. What are some of the things I should look for in one of these? Looking to reach out to 1,000 or so and maybe go check out a few matches down here in Texas. And would love to be able to hit a hog out past 500. I would hate to spend $1,000 on a rifle and then have to change a bunch o stuff just to get started. Or even worse, spend a bunch of money and then not like the gun.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

I concur, the barrel is perfect. The trigger is the best one on the list you gave, and can be greatly upgraded.

You have 50-80% the upgrades that are available to a Remington 700. Including two-stage triggers, chassis, pre-fit barrels, and so on.

Can't go wrong with Tikka.

As for as scope I would spend $850 on a Tikka Varmint in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor and spend $1200 on the scope. I would steer clear of the Vortex PST, and buy a 2nd hand Vortex Razor or another Japanese made scope. The new Meopta is probably a lot better choice.

Reactions: YotaEer
I'm just getting into the long-range game myself. Been shooting pistol and carbine for both pleasure and work, but been retired going on 4 years now. I spent months looking around the either-webs researching my rifle needs. I already have a nice pre '65 Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06 that I use for hunting, so ballistically, I went with 6.5CM. The rifle I chose for price, barrel changing ease and ability to add hardware and make it look pretty, I chose the Ruger Precision Rifle. Out of the box, it shoots great. I love the feel, the action, ...even the stock trigger. For the money, i love it. As far as quality, and the fact that the barrel and trigger are factory runs, I figure I'll shoot it till I am good enough to appreciate it (I'm still shooting MOA at 600 yards relatively consistently off of it), then when the time is right for a new barrel, I'll upgrade barrel and maybe trigger. Just a thought. Good luck.

Just another thought...
I've been shooting for about 20 years. I find (very generally speaking), that it's more in the person than the equipment. Not to say that there is a great advantage to having top of the line stuff, but if you can't shoot, you can't shoot. A good shooter can shoot great with an entry level gun, but a poor shooter still can't shoot worth a darn with a top of the line gun. I've run into (worked with) a lot of guys who seem to always have "trouble" with their guns when we go shooting. Never fails. And ALWAYS their guns and kit are full of all the bells and whistles...as if they're trying to buy their way into the ability to shoot
Anyway, whichever gun you choose, you're gonna have a blast! Literally!

Tikka CTR in 6.5 with 24 inch barrel. Trigger is great out of the box and even better with a $20 spring from Yo Dave. Once you want to add a chassis there are lots of great options. I also have an RPR and while it is fun it is not in the same league as the Tikka which needs nothing out of the box. Sentiment around here is you are much more likely to get a Tikka that shoots than some of the other brands.

Reactions: patriotnation
Tikka.
I wouldn’t be afraid of dumping some $$ into it in the future either.

You’ll take a bath on a pimped out savage if you sell it but that’s what I started with and I still shoot it
It’s on its third aftermarket barrel now, they work but can have issues that I’ve had to deal with.

Howa seems like an option but aftermarket is limited.

I wouldn’t buy any new Remington, older one,,, hell yes.

Ruger’s have some decent support now and are an option.

Reactions: Average guy
So I am working on getting the funds for a rifle and scope to start shooting longer ranges. I have been looking at the Ruger precision rifle, the savage 10, Howa APR and HCR, Remington Magpul enhanced and Tikka. My funds should be about $2,000 for a rifle and scope. I already think I know I want a Vortex Viper PST 5-25 FFP. As for a rifle, I want a .308. I usually lean toward a longer barrel, The Howa can be had with a 26 inch where most others are 20. I really like the looks of the chassis rifles but wonder if you can beat on them. The Remington looks tougher. My gun will be dirty, muddy, probably dropped.... I take care of my stuff, but I also use it so definitely not a safe queen.
So what do you guys think of the guns I listed? I'm not a giant, but also not a dwarf, 5'10. What are some of the things I should look for in one of these? Looking to reach out to 1,000 or so and maybe go check out a few matches down here in Texas. And would love to be able to hit a hog out past 500. I would hate to spend $1,000 on a rifle and then have to change a bunch o stuff just to get started. Or even worse, spend a bunch of money and then not like the gun.

Thanks in advance.
Ron
Haven't read all of the comments yet, however, I'd recommend a used Athlon ARES ETR, they are great in glass and tracking.

Also, look for a rifle that fits your needs, the right weight, adjustability and calibers.

The.308 hits harder at 1000yds but the 6.5CM is the flavor most want these days because it's less affected by the wind.

Much of what we get is preference these days.
Most quality rifles will shoot.

As for as scope I would spend $850 on a Tikka Varmint in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor and spend $1200 on the scope. I would steer clear of the Vortex PST, and buy a 2nd hand Vortex Razor or another Japanese made scope. The new Meopta is probably a lot better choice.

I've got the PST Gen II on my current 300 PRC and shoot it to 1500 with good effect. I think it's a good scope for the money. With that said, the Razor is worth the upgrade. If you can somehow swing a Gen II, it will be a great scope on just about any rifle you'll ever shoot. Though finding one for $1200 would be tough, even in a 3-18.

Reactions: Vamike9
I've got the PST Gen II on my current 300 PRC and shoot it to 1500 with good effect. I think it's a good scope for the money. With that said, the Razor is worth the upgrade. If you can somehow swing a Gen II, it will be a great scope on just about any rifle you'll ever shoot. Though finding one for $1200 would be tough, even in a 3-18.
For the money I'd go with the Athlon ARES ETR, but you're right the PST2 & Razor are both great options.

For the budget the Bushnell Forge would be great as well...

I also highly recommend the Tikka T3x CTR. My 6.5 Creedmoor shot right at 1/2moa at 100yd out of the box with Hornady American Gunner 140gr. I've seen some nice groups from the .308win models as well. You will not get a CTR and a Vortex Razor for under $2k even if both are used. One of the best scopes I've used for the money is the Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x56. The word seems to be getting out because they are getting hard to find right now but, they are still out there. Price around $850 but, no illumination on these.

Bob

The.308 hits harder at 1000yds but the 6.5CM is the flavor most want these days because it's less affected by the wind.

Lol
No it doesn’t.
You can easily hear and see the difference between a 308 and 6.5 on steel and the 6.5 definitely hits harder.
6 CM hits about the same as 308.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 with 24 inch barrel. Trigger is great out of the box and even better with a $20 spring from Yo Dave. Once you want to add a chassis there are lots of great options. I also have an RPR and while it is fun it is not in the same league as the Tikka which needs nothing out of the box. Sentiment around here is you are much more likely to get a Tikka that shoots than some of the other brands.

I had forgot about the CTR. He is right, buy a CTR over a varmint. As the CTR is already threaded.

Agree to disagree
Feel free to look at the numbers then.
That way you eliminate my possibly biased observations.

Oh and let me know when you hand load a 308 to get 850 ftlbs are 1000 yards.
my 260 does that and my friends 6.5CM is only slightly lower.

Feel free to look at the numbers then.
That way you eliminate my possibly biased observations.

Oh and let me know when you hand load a 308 to get 850 ftlbs are 1000 yards.
my 260 does that and my friends 6.5CM is only slightly lower.
I know that the 6.5 increases hit probability, recoils less and is less affected by wind.
I'm just saying, .308 does appear to hit harder audibly?
I will check the numbers on my ballistic app but agree the 6.5 is a better choice most everyday.

I know that the 6.5 increases hit probability, recoils less and is less affected by wind.
I'm just saying, .308 does appear to hit harder audibly?
I will check the numbers on my ballistic app but agree the 6.5 is a better choice most everyday.

If looking at factory ammo, Prime 6.5cm 130g is 776j @ 1000 and 175g 308 is 740j.

Reactions: Average guy
If looking at factory ammo, Prime 6.5cm 130g is 776j @ 1000 and 175g 308 is 740j.
That's right, but handloading VLD .308s hot will usually exceed the 6.5CM ft lbs.

Thanks for the info though.

Both are good choices.

I don't want to hijack this thread as the OP was looking for a solid rifle/scope package.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtackmann
So now I looked into the Tikkas pretty good. Yes they are nice. The 2 I like blow my budget. Would only leave me with NCstar or Barska scope money....
So the Howa and Remington are still on the list. Buddy at work told me about a Bergara B-14 HMR. Anybody have any experience with them?

So now I looked into the Tikkas pretty good. Yes they are nice. The 2 I like blow my budget. Would only leave me with NCstar or Barska scope money....
So the Howa and Remington are still on the list. Buddy at work told me about a Bergara B-14 HMR. Anybody have any experience with them?

Don't skimp on the scope - you're just throwing money away, as you'll be upgrading later.

As to the Bergara, I used to have an HMR Pro and liked it a lot. Their barrels are pretty good and the platform was solid.

What two tikkas do you like. Don’t get hung up on the rifle too much. The scope is more important!
Actually I like 3. The UPR, the compact tactical rifle and the TACT A1. Pretty much the ones with the heavy barrels. And yes, I'd rather have a $850-$1,100 gun and a good scope then a great gun and crappy scope.
I have also now seen that Ruger makes the American hunter. Looks like its the same action as the precision rifle, and is available with a 22 inch barrel instead of just 20.

And thank you very much guys. The input from people who actually have and shoot these guns is a big plus. I'm a ways from spending money, but its so close I can feels it.

The Ruger American Hunter looks pretty solid for your situation. Low $600s for the rifle would leave a lot of room for the scope.

It has just about every feature you could want/need in a rifle, you would only have to buy a difference check height insert if the default one doesn't fit you and your scope.

Even a 20" barrel in 6.5 CM will get you to 1000 yards no prob.

100% agree on the scope being #1 priority. After you've been shooting for a while make sure to actually check your scope's turret accuracy too. (And then periodically check it through out the scopes life)

I want to make one last point.

Every brand of rifle can have those rifles that shoot well and those that don't shoot at all. I owned a Sako TRG-42 that wasn't a very good shooter. Kind of soul crushing to spend $4500 on a rifle that doesn't shoot.

The odds are very high that if you have a rifle that doesn't shoot the company will not stand behind it.

I have owned a lot of Howa 1500's, Savage 10, 11, 12, 110, 111, 112s, Remington 700s, Tikka T3's and other makes of rifle.

This is what I would do if I had $2000 in my pocket.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/we...dmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5025803 This wouldn't require anything to upgrade for the stock, trigger or barrel.

You then need rings.

I want to make one last point.

Every brand of rifle can have those rifles that shoot well and those that don't shoot at all. I owned a Sako TRG-42 that wasn't a very good shooter. Kind of soul crushing to spend $4500 on a rifle that doesn't shoot.

The odds are very high that if you have a rifle that doesn't shoot the company will not stand behind it.

I have owned a lot of Howa 1500's, Savage 10, 11, 12, 110, 111, 112s, Remington 700s, Tikka T3's and other makes of rifle.

This is what I would do if I had $2000 in my pocket.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/we...dmoor-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5025803 This wouldn't require anything to upgrade for the stock, trigger or barrel.

You then need rings.
The specs on that scope say rear focal plane. Is that first or second?

I gave you bad gouge earlier. I didn't realize that was SFP scope. This is a better deal. I have both the Leupold VX-III LRP FFP 8.5-25 and the Meopta 6-24 ZD. My Meopta has some strange features but these new Meopta Optika 6 5-30 are everything you would ever need at any price. Meopta has amazing glass.

308's are like red-headed stepchildren now - used market on all but the very best customs is very soft. Find a good Rem Gen1 5R or 700P for ~half price with a few rounds on them, or a 700 Long Range for ~500 brand new. Lets you spend more money on the scope! Tikkas shoot just as well, but heat up faster with a thinner barrel profile - and the plastic stock, while utile, might be a subjective consideration. The Tikka trigger with a spring feels just about perfect, that is until you try a Triggertech - another plus for a Remmy, but if keeping stock, the Tikka has the better trigger by far.

Thanks in advance.
Ron
[/QUOTE
Ruger Precision Rifle is a great option. Very good for the money. But the Tikka quality is higher. I like them both.

There's not a lot of Howa owners on here so that's probably why no one has suggested one. However, they actually are pretty good rifles and have a great 2 stage trigger that's really good. I have an HCR and it is very accurate. I think you might be able to find one around $875 which will leave room for glass. Mine has gone out to distance with ease. I don't see how you can be disappointed with one.

Good luck!