• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First precision rimfire.

B

boomer81

Although i know things will eventually die down. Due to scarcity and price of .223 and .308 im wanting to buy my first really nice high powered rimfire. Ive owned 22s my whole life but nothing great. I want a semi auto with common magazine. Ive seen some and would really like one of the higher end stuff that has 22mag and 17hmr conversion.

Im willing to spend $1500. Maybe more. Want a good varmint mainley coyotes and target gun. Ive checked out custom ruger 10/22 mags. And the magnum research stuff. A used Volquartsen would be cool but may be more than i want to spend and where are they in stock. Something good with max range and parts and mag avalibility. Kind of new territory so thanks for all the help

Re: First precision rimfire.

Then find a stock/used 10/22 & add Volquartsen barrel & Kidd trigger & bolt. As for keeping it around $1500 ... can't help there. I'd go with a quality Burris or old Leupold (as in VARI-X III scope).
The 10/22 I had ("Before boating accident in swamp")had the Volquartsen barrel made for shooting the SSS 60 gr 22LR but it did shoot other loads just as well. Just not cheap Rem or Fed. Also had Kidd trigger unit, probably best add-on I ever bought for a rifle ... other than a NF scope !! Don't forget buffers & the Kidd bolt.

I know its not semi auto, but I just bought a CZ452 last week, and it has really impressed me...performance wise. Plus, there are a lot of aftermarket stocks, barrels, triggers, bases, etc available for it. I looked at the 10/22...but in the end, I liked the idea of having a 22 bolt gun. I think it helps me with mechanics, coordination, repetition and stuff.

I personally run an all Kidd setup with the exception of a lilja barrel. It sits in a Bell and Carlson stock. Thing will shoot clover leafs at 50 yards.

For under 1500 I would say check out Clarks custom guns. He makes a really nice 10/22 with all the bells and whistles for around $1000 (leaves you ~500 for a scope). He even has some built, ready to ship. You dont see a lot of guys on this forum run his stuff, but if you go over to rimfirecentral there are some good write ups. If you are not going to go over budget with a Kidd I would go to Clark.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/1022con.htm

It really depends on what you want to do with it. For competition/ precision, a bolt action will deliver better accuracy. I compete in a local mini-Palma, there is an Internet comp here on this board, and then there is Smack the Smiley. For all of those, a bolt action and even a single shot (like a Rem 40X or Win 52D) would deliver better precision and a better chance of winning in a custom rig. For a factory rig, Anschutz makes some of the best out there, but CZ, Sako, and Savage make some good rimfires that will be competitive.

For varminting and plinking fun, the 10/22 is the way to go mainly because of the fact that there are so many options out there for customization and so many people know how to get them to shoot right. You can win comps with an accurized 10/22 and people have (look here http://smackthesmiley.com/results_archive.htm for past winners of Smack the Smiley rimfire), but fact is, you just can't get a semi-auto rimfire to shoot as consistently well as a tweaked bolt gun.

I have shot a suppressed 10/22 before and I will tell you, it was pure firearm fun. While not as accurate as my rifle, I had a ball shooting it.

Just like any other rifle, you have to think about the purpose before you build one up.

I think I want a volquarterson fusion. In the original post I stated I wanted a 22mag 17hmr conversion setup. That's my options. Also I'm awaiting a integrally suppressed 10/22

I think your only option in that regard is a Volquartsen Magnum custom. Good overall package using the stainless receivers and threaded-in barrels. (Could also grab an extra .22WMR/.17HMR barrel to make it more flexible platform) Should be below your $1500 budget with scope.

I would take a closer look at the .22LR rifles as well if you don't already have one, or a multi-platform action. (Quad, 455, T/C... The .22LR is abundant and is versatile.)

I know your asking about semis, but have you seen this thread on the Kimber 82?

Kimber 82 thread

This guy is shooting groups at 100 that my modified 10/22 shoots at 25. I have a worked stock bolt, Green Mountain 20" S/S bull barrel, kid drop in trigger kit and 6-24X44 Hawke scope. I'm shooting right at a half inch at 50, and 1 inch at 100 with CCI Green Tag.

Again, under standing that you're looking at semis, but right now there are Kimbers on Gunbroker for less that what you'll pay for a modified stock 10/22, let alone a full VQ or Kidd build.

I had a similar thought earlier this year. I wanted to upgrade from the stock 10/22 Target and wanted the option of multiple calibers. I had thought about the Fusion, but hadn't been able to locate one.

A few months ago, I happened to be in a local shop when a guy traded in a 10/22 with a Kidd barrel and Volquartsen trigger group sitting in a Hogue stock. For $400, I couldn't pass it up. Last week, I happened across a guy who wanted to sell his Volquartsen .17HMR. For $900, I picked up a like new Volquartsen with a Leupold 12X scope and 12 boxes of Hornady 17gr V-Max.

Chris

Just my opinion but I bought a Volquartsen 22 mag once with a heavy fluted barrel. It was very accurate but had a hiccup once in a while. Not only that but it fired slightly out of battery once and blew the mag out the bottom of the rifle and burned me a little. I didn't like the heavy barrel either because it made the rifle too heavy for a walk around hunter.

Between the 17HMR and 22 mag I like the 22 mag better, more thwack. On the other hand and off the subject, little 17 centerfires are amazing, think 17K Hornet!!! Another 1000 fps and 7 grains grains more bullet weight makes for a "huge" difference with almost no increase in recoil or cost when reloading ammo.

Recently I bought a 70's vintage HK300 22 mag semiauto. One of those guns I had always wanted but didn't want to spend the money on. Let me tell you that rifle is frikken awesome, I just love that gun! .6 MOA accurate, perfectly reliable, light, handy, good trigger, nice walnut stock and deep shiny bluing!

I have a savage fv-sr ......great gun. Also those czs are great factory rifles. Buy one you like and build it up to your preference.

I shoot a savage with a Boyd tactical and heavy barrel with a Mueller 30x target scope and standard velocity ammo and can shoot a 3/8" group at 50 stick with the bolt guns