• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First project in new home garage shop

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
Just finished turning my garage into a little gunsmith shop. Got a new lathe to start learning how to thread and chamber my own stuff. Got a great uncle who is a gunsmith. He is gonna show me the ropes.

But went ahead and did my first project. Skim bedding a MPA Matrix.

Attachments

• A49470D1-6BAB-492D-B8B5-F0445B08F214.jpeg
    A49470D1-6BAB-492D-B8B5-F0445B08F214.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 1B7E17DC-EE33-4F76-A47B-A1749B7DB42F.jpeg
    1B7E17DC-EE33-4F76-A47B-A1749B7DB42F.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 358
That’s awesome. I’d love to know how to thread and ream my own blanks, and do a good job at the same time. Father in law is a retired machinist, so I’d have that, but I have absolutely no experience on the machines

Get that out in the middle of the floor so you can access all around. You can thank me later.

now you tell me lol. Can you send like 10 dudes to my house. That was the biggest pain in the ass getting it off my trailer and in place.

Reactions: RTH1800
Staple some plastic sheet to your wall, behind the lathe. White board or similar works well. If it's close to the wall, eventually you get a nice line of coolant smear. Do as someone else said, bring it off the wall 2 or 3 feet, and angle it about 20 to 30 deg. Takes up space, bit if you use it a bit, it will make your life much more comfortable getting around it, accessing the swarf from behind, roping up or changing coolant, etc..

Heaven forbid you blow a fuse and need to access the back.

Oh, also put a wall protector along the bore axis. Nothing worse when you use compressed air to blow out a barrel, and you get a lovely spray of coolant swarf on your wall because you forget to use a rag at the other end to catch it.

Reactions: Easy_E
Staple some plastic sheet to your wall, behind the lathe. White board or similar works well. If it's close to the wall, eventually you get a nice line of coolant smear. Do as someone else said, bring it off the wall 2 or 3 feet, and angle it about 20 to 30 deg. Takes up space, bit if you use it a bit, it will make your life much more comfortable getting around it, accessing the swarf from behind, roping up or changing coolant, etc..

Heaven forbid you blow a fuse and need to access the back.

Oh, also put a wall protector along the bore axis. Nothing worse when you use compressed air to blow out a barrel, and you get a lovely spray of coolant swarf on your wall because you forget to use a rag at the other end to catch it.
All great suggestions. Thank you

Reactions: iceng
Very nice shop. You’ll figure out where everything belongs. In time the machines will tell you where they belong. I recently did something similar except my mill and lathe ended up in my old formal dining room. I rented a reamer and holder from 4d rentals for my first barrel. I also ordered a 223 & 308 to have on hand but I’m still waiting on them. Renting is okay on some stuff but not on others. What reamer holder setup are you using?

That's so cool! Can't wait to get my gun room set up in the basement with AC. (In the new house). That's phase 2. Working on securing the land right now. Should be able to buy the amount I want first quarter of next year. Then will start on plans for my house. I've built so many houses for other people (most of em very high end) and never built my own). When I do, I will have a similar set up. Very nice!

Congratulations! Looks like you have a comfortable place to spend many hours! I’d recommend an industrial floor mat to go in front of your lathe.

the only thing I see missing is a beercaddy in a hot swim suit and maybe a fridge to chill your drinks nice looking area other wise .

I second the stand-well / rubber floor mat. Helps with insulation and standing for a few hours can get mighty painful if you are not used to it.

My old neighbour to my workshop was a carpet layer. He gave me this super hard wearing rubber backed stuff which you (they) lay at entrances to shopping malls and such for wiping your shoes on. Real scruffy, but was rubber and carpet blend. I use a large square of that, with kids gym foam square block things on top. The square light foam with interlocking sides. 3 squares of that for like $5 from the toy shop.

Occasionally hose the carpet down, hit it with an air gun to get the smaller bit out, buy new kids foam squares. SUPER comfy, and weirdly, if I ever drop a spring, pin or small parts, the foam matt catches it inside the little holes. Works a treat.