• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First PRS rifle: SIG Cross PRS v Tikka T3X a1

armyinfantry

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Connecticut
Hey everyone. I’m finally looking to enter the world of PRS and I’m relatively green when it comes to which is the best entry level rifle to shoot production class in.

I have it down to the Sig Cross PRS vs the tried and true Tikka T3X in 6.5cm. While the Tikka seems like the safe choice, the PRS model of the Cross seems to be getting good reviews in the few that have been done on it so far.

So help me with my first set up. Which rifle, and as an add on - what would be good entry level glass for them?

I'm going to be the first to tell you that you shouldn't buy either. Buy a ready to go prs rifle or barreled action from a trusted member of the hide. Something with a few hundred rounds on it that is a proven shooter in an appropriate prs cartridge. A "custom" action, (nothing is custom if I can go put 3 of them in my cart somewhere right now and buy them), but you know what I mean talking about, a zermatt action, or a half dozen others. You're going to burn up barrels, so it helps to have something made for prefits.. Go ahead and get started with a 6mm wildcat, (you're going to end up there), so if you can buy a rifle that someone has already worked out all of those bugs in, even better. You can start with the previous owner's proven recipe, so you aren't burning up a barrel trying to find a load, and you'll probably make a friend of the seller and they can help you get set up for PRS.

Take a look at SIG's quality assurance and then buy the Tikka.
Bro, that's the craziest thing I've read in a while.

As I've pointed out here several times, Beretta USA who owns Tikka has the worst rating the better business bureau can give a company. Literally hundreds of BBB complaints where they have screwed so many people. They have had my tikka T1x for what will be 2 full years in January and won't even talk to me. They refuse to answer my calls or my emails. They stole my rifle and refuse to discuss it. Go to the BBB site and you'll find out that they do it all the time. If you have a problem with a Tikka, you better find a gunsmith.

Reactions: Craigmcwill
Have you considered a Badrock South Fork? A little bit more money, but I think a better rifle.

As for glass… I started with Vortex PST 5-25 and it worked well. You can find used ones for about $600-700.

Reactions: Secant

As I've pointed out here several times, Beretta USA who owns Tikka has the worst rating the better business bureau can give a company. Literally hundreds of BBB complaints where they have screwed so many people. They have had my tikka T1x for what will be 2 full years in January and won't even talk to me. They refuse to answer my calls or my emails. They stole my rifle and refuse to discuss it. Go to the BBB site and you'll find out that they do it all the time. If you have a problem with a Tikka, you better find a gunsmith.

And you jump in every tikka thread.... I've got three, never had a problem with them. You seem to be an outlier based on the history I've seen here for the past few years.

Reactions: Bravo6
And you jump in every tikka thread.... I've got three, never had a problem with them. You seem to be an outlier based on the history I've seen here for the past few years.
Did you go the the better business bureau website yet?

Assume I'm absolutely full of shit, and then pretend they all are too. Go ahead. Their CS is the worst in the firearms industry. Don't even argue with me, go read about them.

I wasn't talking about customer service, but quality assurance. Practice your English.

As far as support, fuck beretta. Call @LongRifles Inc.

Reactions: spife7980
I wasn't talking about customer service, but quality assurance. Practice your English.

As far as support, fuck beretta. Call @LongRifles Inc.
To me they are the same thing. Because if anything is missed by the quality assurance team, then you're forced to deal with the customer service people. I know they make a good rifle, nobody is disputing that, but they do not stand behind their product. That was my point.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-150006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221029-150006_Chrome.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 123
customer service aside, which is the better of the two rifles for PRS specifically. Also, I’m gonna search the buy sell part of the site now as well.

To me they are the same thing. Because if anything is missed by the quality assurance team, then you're forced to deal with the customer service people. I know they make a good rifle, nobody is disputing that, but they do not stand behind their product. That was my point.
1667076475494.png

Buy an American rifle company nucleus complete rifle! Or if you have more money the Archimedes and your done. Mic 🎤 drop

Reactions: worm304
Normally I would always defer to the Tikka. But for this particular situation, the Bergara Premier Competition Rifle is the way to go.

MPA chassis.
Trigger tech trigger.
Competition profile barrel.
6mm Creedmoor.

premier.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL2 and Simonsza1
That’s nice rifle but the sticker price for the nucleus is the same and the actions don’t compare in my opinion and the xylo chassis also better. Both great choices though I’m sure

Reactions: worm304
Did you go the the better business bureau website yet?

Assume I'm absolutely full of shit, and then pretend they all are too. Go ahead. Their CS is the worst in the firearms industry. Don't even argue with me, go read about them.
I don't doubt it's bad, but you're the only person I've ever heard of that's had an issue...

Have you considered a Badrock South Fork? A little bit more money, but I think a better rifle.

As for glass… I started with Vortex PST 5-25 and it worked well. You can find used ones for about $600-700.
I literally went to purchase the southfork and they are not currently producing them. I'm looking at an arc nucleus gen2 rifle instead but have more saving to do to get there. I really wanted the southfork. Sucks.

Save, buy once cry once! You’ll love the arc.
That's the plan. I am going to wait and see if they do a black friday sale. I know they did last year and it was $250 off. Hoping for the same but probably buying either way.

Normally I would always defer to the Tikka. But for this particular situation, the Bergara Premier Competition Rifle is the way to go.

MPA chassis.
Trigger tech trigger.
Competition profile barrel.
6mm Creedmoor.

View attachment 7986711
Here's a question, just because I'm curious... The MPA BA PMR Pro is the exact same price. So why not just buy that?

I'm not a PRS shooter but I was wondering what would be wrong with a Zermatt action?
I'm going to be the first to tell you that you shouldn't buy either. Buy a ready to go prs rifle or barreled action from a trusted member of the hide. Something with a few hundred rounds on it that is a proven shooter in an appropriate prs cartridge. A "custom" action, (nothing is custom if I can go put 3 of them in my cart somewhere right now and buy them), but you know what I mean talking about, a zermatt action, or a half dozen others. You're going to burn up barrels, so it helps to have something made for prefits.. Go ahead and get started with a 6mm wildcat, (you're going to end up there), so if you can buy a rifle that someone has already worked out all of those bugs in, even better. You can start with the previous owner's proven recipe, so you aren't burning up a barrel trying to find a load, and you'll probably make a friend of the seller and they can help you get set up for PRS.

Well since we are here and discussing the Bad Rock, why not look at the MPA? Same money as the Bergara, MPA chassis, Curtis action with prefits available. Two versions, one with a Trigger Tech Diamond and no muzzle brake and one with the regular Trigger Tech and a muzzle brake. They also have a lighter weight model for a bit less. If you’re going with a 6mm, and for competition, I recommend it highly, get the Trigger Tech Diamond and purchase a Hellfire .223/6mm brake on the side.

Own one and it shoots really nice. And, in my experience, Great Customer Service.

As always, NDIH.

Last edited:

I'll bet if they paid the BBB like so many others they would have a fantastic rating and it wouldn't matter if anyone complained or not. :).

Not familiar enough with the Sig to comment on it. But my Tikka's have been great and so have many others based on what you see here for the past few years or longer. If you can stretch the budget it would be worth it to get something like the MPA or one of the other production rifles. No need to change anything and you'll have a more modular set up for PRS shooting. I love my MPA chassis, one for my 22, one for my 6.5. The MPA is a better choice than the Bergara, you can get prefit barrels for it, can't do that with the bergara. The suggestion to get something from the PX is the best one. I was going to put together an impact action in an MPA chassis. Found that exact combo in the PX, it was even in the color I wanted for several hundred less than I could have put together myself.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Op, of the two you mentioned, the Tikka is hands down the better rifle. If you look at other options, just get Long Rifles Inc. to build you what you want off a Bighotn Origin action.

I'm not a PRS shooter but I was wondering what would be wrong with a Zermatt action?
Nothing wrong with a zermatt, I'm sure they are fine. I didn't mean to insinuate that there was any problem with them. I was taking a swing at the word "custom" and how it's thrown around to describe things that are literally mass produced in the rifle world, but I think there are several wonderful action manufacturers out there, and zermatt is one of them.

Reactions: Highbrass
Here's a question, just because I'm curious... The MPA BA PMR Pro is the exact same price. So why not just buy that?
Certainly a good choice. I wasn't aware of this rifle and would most definitely consider this a great option. Especially since your caliber options of much greater.

That's the plan. I am going to wait and see if they do a black friday sale. I know they did last year and it was $250 off. Hoping for the same but probably buying either way.
If history dictates they definitely will!

Haven’t shot my first match yet, but just finished my first PRS build. Can’t go wrong with a Zermatt Origin..

Origin
Proof SS 6 Dasher pre-fit
MDT ACC
TT Diamond

Working through the barrel speed up with a generic 30.5gr Varget in Alpha brass and Berger 108 BT @2800ish. Accuracy has been outstanding in the 0.2 MOA range

Hey everyone. I’m finally looking to enter the world of PRS and I’m relatively green when it comes to which is the best entry level rifle to shoot production class in...
Are you looking for your first precision rifle build in general, or do you have precision bolt guns that your want to add to with a PRS - specific rifle? Have you had the ability to stop by a match and ask around and /or try out ergos of various chassis options with different folks at a club or etc?

Are you looking for your first precision rifle build in general, or do you have precision bolt guns that your want to add to with a PRS - specific rifle? Have you had the ability to stop by a match and ask around and /or try out ergos of various chassis options with different folks at a club or etc?
This will be my first precision bolt gun. The only real experience I have with “precision” shooting (I use that term lightly) was going through the SDM course and being assigned to the sniper section without going to the B4 course (promoted out of section before school date). So my experience is relatively limited. This will be my single precision rifle to go to courses with and compete in PRS

They have had my tikka T1x for what will be 2 full years in January and won't even talk to me. They refuse to answer my calls or my emails. They stole my rifle and refuse to discuss it.
If this is true, either hire a lawyer or write your state’s Attorney General. I’ve used the latter tactic successfully against BMW and a BMW dealer.

Their shitty Nikasil V8’s that they used in their mid 1990’s 5-series slowly dissolved and lost compression due to our sulfur-laden US gas. Ze German gas iz better, you see, und they did not discover ze problem undtil too spät.

Got a new engine. $12k.

But you better be telling the truth when you talk to the AG.

Check Midway USA, they have brand new PST Gen II on sale for $600-$700.

The problem with the sig cross is, you're stuck with the sig cross, just like the RPR.
It's not a rifle action in a chassis, so you're stuck with what you got. Sure, you can make minor changes, but you can't put it in a new stock or chassis.
Fwiw, they have an RPR PRS rifle as well. Id probably buy that before the sig.
Bergara makes a really nice rifle.
Tikka makes a nice rifle.
Hell, you can start with a howa oryx, it'll likely shoot better than you. 6mm Creedmoor and done

I started a long time back as a pistol shooter. If I learned one thing that has proven itself true time and time again it's this: NEVER buy into a platform without mature aftermarket/3rd party support if you intend to run it hard and perform your best.

Reactions: Maciej
While attempting to not be as harsh, I also suggest spending more money on an optic. It's an integral part of the entire precision game and actually improves the user's experience immensely. Especially with today's choices. The options available in the PX are numerous and affordable.

Also, I believe the intent of the OP is to participate in the "Production Class". It's not viable to build a rifle for that class, unless I'm not in full understanding of the rules for that class. Which might be the case.