• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First PRS shoot need ideas

SNOW JW

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Going to my first PRS shoot this weekend Budget is $1200 to $1500 looking at 6.5 creedmoor. Would like something I can grow with & maybe put a better barrel on down the road prefit options. Thinking Ruger Precision but not sure I want chassis? Bergera?

I know these questions have been asked before but looking for fresh input thanks.

Reactions: JoshuaPaul
It wouldn’t get you shooting by the weekend, but for $1500ish I would strongly recommend building your own with a custom action. You could do a bighorn origin or defiance tenacity, with a KRG bravo, prefit barrel, and TT primary trigger. It would be much more refined and built to your exact specs. If I had to buy factory on a budget, I’d look at Tikka personally.

OP, is it possible for you to borrow a rifle to use at the match, or to use a rifle that you currently have in your possession? This way you can try the competition out, and NRL/PRS shooters tend to be very generous about letting new folks check out their gear. If it were me, I'd try to get a little better idea of what I wanted in a rifle before dropping the coin on one.

If you absolutely must have a factory rifle on a budget ASAP, then Tikka, Bergara, and Ruger are all excellent choices.

Bergara and RPR are likely what you will find on a shelf that will best fit your needs.

LOTS of people have been getting delayed due to extremely high numbers of firearm purchases happening at the moment. So unless you have a concealed weapons permit, there is a high likelihood that you’ll be delayed past your time constraints. This being said, I would also suggest finding a rifle to borrow. Or just show up, don’t shoot, just observe, see what people are using, etc. Rushing into something is a quick way to get discouraged.

Going to my first PRS shoot this weekend Budget is $1200 to $1500 looking at 6.5 creedmoor. Would like something I can grow with & maybe put a better barrel on down the road prefit options. Thinking Ruger Precision but not sure I want chassis? Bergera?

I know these questions have been asked before but looking for fresh input thanks.

Trying to wrap my head around your dilemma.....

So you've entered your first ever match.......
......without actually owning.....a rifle

Is that correct?

Trying to wrap my head around your dilemma.....

So you've entered your first ever match.......
......without actually owning.....a rifle

Is that correct?

+1

File that under What The Fuck...…….

• Haha
Reactions: FLguy55

What are you going to do for dope? Just wing it?

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
I have all day today to work up a load development. Not my first gun I have many a Christensen & other guns even custom actions that I Pdog & yote hunt with but I don't have time to build one for this shoot. I want to just buy a stock in the box & go have fun. If it's not what I like I sell it & start over or mod it.

Reactions: Ksracer
Idk, he probably got a wild hare up his ass and thinks it’ll be fun. I think it’s awesome he’s just gonna jump in no hesitation.

Pick whichever one you think looks coolest and feels best. Most every option in this thread will be just fine. If you pick the one you like best you’ll probably like it more.

I have all day today to work up a load development. Not my first gun I have many a Christensen & other guns even custom actions that I Pdog & yote hunt with but I don't have time to build one for this shoot. I want to just buy a stock in the box & go have fun. If it's not what I like I sell it & start over or mod it.
Do you?

Well, you also have to budget time to drive around and find a gun store that is
A. Open
B. Doesn't have a line stretching across the parking lot
C. Has what you want in stock

I doubt you'll be able to buy one online and get it delivered before end of day today.

I assume you already have all the components to reload 6.5 Creedmoor? Good luck getting some shipped in today if you order today and even better luck finding any ammo for sale locally.

Why you won't take one of your existing rifles is also another question that bears consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonoranPrecision

why don’t you take one of your current rifles to check out the scene? We had a guy in my squad bring out a stock .223 rem 700 with a 5rd hinged floorplate mag. He had ammo for it and didn’t want to load for his comp gun the day before hah. Not gonna say he did good with it, but not gonna say you will either for your first match ?

Dude this don’t sound good, I would consider going and offering to help R.O.
they usually treat there help really good. Then you can see and handle all the gear you want without spending a penny!

Props for wanting to give a go though!

good luck either way!

Reactions: IW21

I love it! If you've got experience shooting beyond 600 on your own or in other disciplines, I see no issue. You'd be welcome at one of our matches and would get all the help you needed navigating the stages.
It's a hell of a lot better plan than just arm chair quarterbacking everything to death from your keyboard.

Well it was a blast!! I got a Bergara at 3:00 PM & worked up a fast load no time like I wanted for load development was pushing a 140 at 2680.

As far as the shoot the guys were very helpful & even though I was nervous as crap I shot 50% on my score or so. You guys were definitely right about knowing what gear to get I came with a rear bag, zip tied dope card to my wrist haha but i ended up trying a few bags and getting gear ideas & I now have a better idea of what I want. Also learned how bad my fundamentals were in some areas.

So to all the naysayers don't discourage anyone from trying to pull something off last minute. I have been crazy busy at work so I just couldn't find the time but I was glad I tried. Next match in a week & I hope to try my luck a 2nd time.

I’m glad it worked out! PRS matches have some of the best, most helpful people around. I’d be paranoid as hell with a slapped together rig/load, but then again that may be some kind of neurosis on my part.... Anyway, good on you for ignoring us downers and getting it done!