• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Radio Equipment - Recommendations / Thought?

carnivorematt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
I'm studying for my technician and general licenses to operate a HAM radio and plan to take the test in 10 days, after which I'd like to make my first equipment investment.

I'm sure someone here has experience with HAM, either for team communications and/or emergency/SHTF communications or just for fun... Given I do not have a circle that includes operators, perhaps someone here can point out recommendations / pitfalls / thoughts / etc when it comes to general equipment for starters.

I would like to use this technology for many purposes and want my first piece of equipment to handle these, if possible:

1. Pure fun of learning something new - therefore something I can grow and learn with would be nice. I'm also a techie so bells and whistles and shiny things also do it for me.

2. Just in case a SHTF event ever occurs. I would like to handle emergency communications, for myself, friends and family. In fact, a friend of mine is also going to take the test and when all is said and done we would like to be able to communicate with each other in addition to the rest of the world to test and prepare for emergencies in a more local setting (within 30-40 miles).

3. I think it would be great to learn how to communicate through Satellites to avoid line-of-sight issues or ionosphere issues too, and it may be more challenging, so something that can handle this might be nice too.

4. I do not need a car specific unit, as I hardly ever drive, but something with the option to be somewhat portable would be nice however if something that sits at a desk is the best starter, so be it.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations based upon their experience, or even other things I should consider when purchasing this type of equipment?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Re: First Radio Equipment - Recommendations / Thought?

Many choices out there for sure. That said, I went with a Kenwood TS 480sat for the trucks, and Kenwood TS 2000 for the QTH. Both operate on 13.8Vdc so they can be used anywhere. The 2000 from the factory will do it all, from the low side of 160 meters to Microwave, if you get that model. It's two transceivers in one package, w/a Sat package as well.
The TS 480SAT has a built in tuner and 100 watts the other model 480 has 200 watts but no internal tuner. Both models have their place but remember a good antenna will trump, wattage output at the transmitter every time. The trucks have Screwdriver antennas on Ant port 1 and a coax that feeds a portable full-wave 40meter loop, should it be needed for punch or reach. Both trucks talk around this rock with the Screwdrivers, but if I need to bust a pile up while portable, that's when the loops come into their own.
For HT I/we went VX6R Yeasu for the options it offered.

The amount of gear for the task is overwhelming for sure. Ask the guys in your local club to see and operate their gear, most will assist you all they can. If you can hold off until the next national field day, or Cross band test with the Military, you can see the pros and cons first hand in a very fast paced, environment.

i have a yeasu, a baofeng backup for HT
and i have a kenwood mobile in the truck and a motorola sm50 set to gmrs freq.

on a side note i use my xts5000 more than anything

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm studying for my technician and general licenses to operate a HAM radio and plan to take the test in 10 days, after which I'd like to make my first equipment investment.

I'm sure someone here has experience with HAM, either for team communications and/or emergency/SHTF communications or just for fun... Given I do not have a circle that includes operators, perhaps someone here can point out recommendations / pitfalls / thoughts / etc when it comes to general equipment for starters. </div></div>
FWIW, Extra class here, and Technician class from *mumble* years back but I let it lapse, dummy that I am. Spent some time as a VE some years ago as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to use this technology for many purposes and want my first piece of equipment to handle these, if possible:

1. Pure fun of learning something new - therefore something I can grow and learn with would be nice. I'm also a techie so bells and whistles and shiny things also do it for me. </div></div>
Any Elecraft is a good start, imho. Simple antennas are another. Highly recommend Low Band DX'ing, ARRL Handbook, and ARRL Antenna Book for starters. Lots more on ARRL's site. Have you joined yet? Not that you have to or anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2. Just in case a SHTF event ever occurs. I would like to handle emergency communications, for myself, friends and family. In fact, a friend of mine is also going to take the test and when all is said and done we would like to be able to communicate with each other in addition to the rest of the world to test and prepare for emergencies in a more local setting (within 30-40 miles). </div></div>
Local can be via repeater, as already mentioned, or via NVIS on 80m and/or 40m which also qualifies for dead-easy antenna status. Area coverage can be as large as a ~300mi radius. Smaller area can be covered by ground wave although you'd need a good sized vertical, and a good ground plane depending on your soil conditions. A VHF beam high enough to get line of sight can be an option for a 2m HT, too.

Worldwide comm anytime can require a >65ft tower and a 20m beam, a 1KW linear, and all the cost that comes with it. But it's just as easy to use a low horizontal loop, dipole or simple vertical and PSK31 modulation or WSJT software to get through the noise on the low bands which generally remain open throughout the sunspot cycle. Doesn't require a lot of power but it does require careful attention to receive antenna design/placement. ON4UN's Low Band DXing is invaluable for understanding the intricacies of low frequency station design and operation, imho. W8J!'s site is also very helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. I think it would be great to learn how to communicate through Satellites to avoid line-of-sight issues or ionosphere issues too, and it may be more challenging, so something that can handle this might be nice too. </div></div>
AFAIK there's only one operational FM 'repeater' sat functional but I haven't checked the AMSAT site in a long while.

The easiest way onto the sats, in general, is with an HT and an Arrow dual band hand-held yagi. This antenna is inexpensive, works incredibly well, and can be taken apart and stored in very little space. Also makes for a handy emergency antenna to hit distant repeaters should you lose local coverage or your main antenna in an emergency.

This method is limited to FM modes but it's not impossible to get on the digital modes with a bit of hacking although I think your HT would need to do split band tx/rx.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. I do not need a car specific unit, as I hardly ever drive, but something with the option to be somewhat portable would be nice however if something that sits at a desk is the best starter, so be it. </div></div>
A dual band HT can be made fixed station with a 12V supply, an optional PA, and a RAM Mount or the like. Can be made mobile on pretty much anything with a magmount antenna or just its own antenna. The ARRL Repeater Directory is pretty handy here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone out there have any recommendations based upon their experience, or even other things I should consider when purchasing this type of equipment?

Thanks in advance for any responses! </div></div>
See if you can get a catalog from Harger as well as Polyphaser . These are a wealth of information on lightning protection and earthing.

A Weller SP120 soldering iron (not terribly expensive) is pretty much a necessity for putting PL259s on coax, especially on large coax like RG8, RG213, etc. A propane torch with a soldering tip works even better but ya' can get some serious collateral damage with it. Ask me how I know...
eek.gif

Hope this helps.

Look at Bao Feng

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many choices out there for sure. That said, I went with a Kenwood TS 480sat for the trucks, and Kenwood TS 2000 for the QTH. Both operate on 13.8Vdc so they can be used anywhere.</div></div>

Thanks for the info! I did take the opportunity to look-up all of this hardware, and I see its practically going to cost me as much as my first custom 6.5 creedemore (which I am STILL paying off) did! Wasn't expecting that.

Given that, I might go with only 1 to start, however the idea of a mobile unit is growing on me... Of the three transceivers you name, if I was to pick one, what would be your pick and why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both models have their place but remember a good antenna will trump, wattage output at the transmitter every time. The trucks have Screwdriver antennas on Ant port 1 and a coax that feeds a portable full-wave 40 meter loop, should it be needed for punch or reach. Both trucks talk around this rock with the Screwdrivers, but if I need to bust a pile up while portable, that's when the loops come into their own.
For HT I/we went VX6R Yeasu for the options it offered. </div></div>
I'm looking at screwdriver's, as they might even be good for base station use with low profile (My HOA might not allow an antenna to be put up) Do you have a particular brand/model you recommend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The amount of gear for the task is overwhelming for sure. Ask the guys in your local club to see and operate their gear, most will assist you all they can. If you can hold off until the next national field day, or Cross band test with the Military, you can see the pros and cons first hand in a very fast paced, environment. </div></div>

Thanks! I'm working on locating a club near me and starting the process of getting to know new people in this field!

Thanks again for all your help!

Matt

Elecraft gear is where its at! Look at their offerings read reviews on eham and make sure you build it from a kit so you what you have and have a chance in being able to replace parts if the need arises. They really are extremely simple to repair at the module level and if you have any experience what-so-ever they can be fairly easily repaired directly at the component level. There is a HUGE community who will support you in anything you want to do on the Elecraft reflectors as well.

~Brett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Highly recommend Low Band DX'ing, ARRL Handbook, and ARRL Antenna Book for starters. Lots more on ARRL's site. Have you joined yet? Not that you have to or anything.</div></div>

Yes! I have joined, and I am considering purchasing at least the handbook for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Local can be via repeater, as already mentioned, or via NVIS on 80m and/or 40m which also qualifies for dead-easy antenna status. Area coverage can be as large as a ~300mi radius. Smaller area can be covered by ground wave although you'd need a good sized vertical, and a good ground plane depending on your soil conditions. A VHF beam high enough to get line of sight can be an option for a 2m HT, too.</div></div>

Unfortunately a good size vertical is not an option in my HJOA, or at least, I doubt it is. But I would like to start with comm's within 50 miles and work upwards from there. I'm still stuck on equipment and am looking at HT, mobile and base transceivers now as well as various antenna's (one I'm really looking at is this screwdriver for mobile and base at home (some people have installed these at homes). Its low profile, but I dont know what kind of range to expect. I'm also considering ground antennas that have a vertical section and a horizontal section of wires either laying or buried 2-3 inches below ground (Unfortunately I do not know the technical name for this type of setup). DO you have any experience with either of these? If so, what do you think of this installation and/or what would you recommend for limited antenna footprint/s ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worldwide comm anytime can require a >65ft tower and a 20m beam, a 1KW linear, and all the cost that comes with it. </div></div>

Looks like I have to skip this idea, for now :) I have not checked out the websites and software you recommended yet, but I will, soon! I simply need to get over this initial purchase 'hump' as muy first step, which is proving a bit overwhelming right now due to the sheer number of options and equipment available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A dual band HT can be made fixed station with a 12V supply, an optional PA, and a RAM Mount or the like. Can be made mobile on pretty much anything with a magmount antenna or just its own antenna. The ARRL Repeater Directory is pretty handy here.</div></div>

Funny.. I'm getting the repeater directory as a bonus for my membership with ARRL! Yay!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justpete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
See if you can get a catalog from Harger as well as Polyphaser . These are a wealth of information on lightning protection and earthing.

A Weller SP120 soldering iron (not terribly expensive) is pretty much a necessity for putting PL259s on coax, especially on large coax like RG8, RG213, etc. A propane torch with a soldering tip works even better but ya' can get some serious collateral damage with it. Ask me how I know...

Hope this helps.
</div></div>

Great.. even MORE options... UUGH :) I will certainly go out there and get the catalogs - I already have a basic soldering iron similar to the one you pointed out. Ultimately I still am uncertain what equipment to buy.. DO I want all 3 (HT, base,. mobile), of course I do. Can I afford it all? I don't know. DO I need to buy a tuner too? An antenna attenuator? A SWR meeter? A wattmeter? Any Amplifiers? I dont know - I mean, some of this is included in transceivers but hell if I know where the feature-to-cost balance lies or when separate equipment should be purchased over integrated systems. sure, I can go to eham and read reviews all day long - there is a lot of good equipment out there, that does everything but brush my teeth. Maybe I should be asking different question - like "Is there a bad choice?"

Assuming I want to keep the initial investment under $1500 and need to deal with space limiting issues in the back yard, and would love to have 3 transceivers but can understand if I can only have a mobile that I can bring in the house or perhaps an HT and a mobile for some added versatility, and would like to communicate locally, up to 50 miles as a first step, with up to 300 miles as a second step. What would you recommend, if anything at all?

Perhaps I am dreaming about getting in at this price point, or perhaps not, but anything else you can provide will be helpful!

I appreciate all the help you have given me - it has been useful and very educational!

Regards,
Matt

Matt,
Federal law prohibits HOA's from prohibiting antennas (Sat, TV, radio, etc.), plus additional protection for Ham, in regards to emergency services. The HOA can restrict placement location and size of antennas, as long as it doesn't drastically effect operation or performance.

Just do a google search, and you can find the two federal laws. I suggest you print them out, and approach the HOA. My covenants, totally restricted any kind of antennas, and after I approached the HOA, they had to strike the prohibition from the covenants. The only restrictions we have now are no antennas above the tree line. One of my neighbors is also Ham, and he has a crank-up tower that lets him get above the trees at night to work DX on 40-meters.

My Dad had the same issue with his HOA, and they were a bunch of Butt-heads about him putting a Sat dish on his roof, he did a good job hiding it behind a wall on a flat roof, and it was only visable from a distance up the hill. I told him to ignore the HOA's complaints, and tell them if they had an issue with his Sat dish, they could bring it up in federal court. Since then they stopped harassing him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did take the opportunity to look-up all of this hardware, and I see its practically going to cost me as much as my first custom 6.5 creedemore (which I am STILL paying off) did! Wasn't expecting that. </div></div>
Guns are cheap compared to a full blown Ham shack or world wide mobile. With the mobile rig you can pick your antenna spot. If I had it to do over, I'd go TS 2000 only, just for one package from 160 meters to microwave. The advantage of two transceivers in one package at least for me is worth the money, and other mfg's do those also. Yaesu makes a find very compact duel as well. For short distance a HT will do a lot. I replaced the rubber ducky on my VX6R with an AL-800 and it will trip repeaters from inside the qth that I could not get with the ducky standing on top of my garage.

Do a lot of research and ask the local club guys if you can watch and operate their gear, so you will see what appeals to you. The ability of your antenna and feed line is the heart and sole of your transceiver and station. You can do far more with much less power if you bone up on this subject alone.

If you can wait until the next field day before buying a rig, the amount of info and hands on gained will save you a lot of time and expense and you'll gain valuable experience at the same time.

I enjoy the Military Cross band test/contest the best of anything Ham.
I hope this year the USS Intrepid is on the air as I was on the old girl to eat once, before the fire. Talking to the USS Yorktown, Midway, the Pentagon, Andrews, Schofield Barracks, ect brings back history and some old memories as well.

Ham is a never ending learning lesson. You are only limited by your imagination when it comes to projecting RF, or a Microwave(Mw) shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a lot of research and ask the local club guys if you can watch and operate their gear, so you will see what appeals to you.</div></div>

This is excellent advice. Like many technology hobbies, this activity really seems to benefit from a lot of in-person/first-hand experience when it comes to gear selection.

As a bonus, local clubs are usually filled with some interesting people.

Yaesu FT450 is kinda hard to beat for the $$. Has a real IF DSP. Not small but for sure can be run mobile.

The 817 is a great all band rig. I carry one around winter camping at 10k+ feet.

A pair of basic single band (2M) Yaesu HTs are a good idea as well. The does everything under the sun HTs generally have such weak audio you can't hear them.

Become versed on antennas and band conditions - these are what make the low band rigs work, not features and cool lights.

Lastly, bite the bullet and learn code. The few - the proud - the ones that know code
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lastly, bite the bullet and learn code. The few - the proud - the ones that know code
wink.gif

</div></div>
Yep, code will go when voice won't using 10-20X the power.

I've owned about one of everything made since 1975 it seems.... ever the curious one. However I like green, and I like rugged. So I generally use ex commercial or military radios. Not for everyone... especially if you can't work on them yourself if they go down. That said... very simple to operate and with some unique history to boot. Modern commercial radios also are available, Vertex (parent company of Yaesu) VX-1210 HF portable and VX-1700 HF base/mobile are very rugged and work well (with the exception of ALE on the VX-1700.... don't buy that option.... it's not compatible with the MILALE Standard).

My base is an ITT Mackay HF transceiver, MSR-8000D. Currently portable I'm using an ex British SAS PRC-319 HF radio with the digital EMU Unit. There are others as well....

On the amateur radio side, personally I'd rate the usefulness of the TS-480SAT Kenwood very highly. They are on sale right now with free shipping at HRO for under $1000. In addition they function with no modifications as a base hooked up to a computer 24/7 while running MARS ALE (digital MILALE.... for the amateur radio side of ALE Google HFLINK). Elecraft is great stuff as well, I've built several of their radios and know the owners, superb engineers and great guys. I also like the Icom 7200 and any of the Ten-Tec models. You need not spend a fortune for excellent comms.

Check your area for a 33cm (900 MHz) repeater and pick up some surplus Motorola mobiles. Nothing is built like a Motorola. They are a bit involved when it comes to programing the old stuff and you may want to look at something that can be programed at the time of purchase or ask around in your local community if anyone had the ability to do it for you. You need special software from Motorola that is pretty pricey. Usually someone in club has it and can help you out. You can also buy hacked XTS5000 or XTS2500 that allow you to program from the front panel.

If you and your buddy decide to get on 900, you will see that there are very few people using it. Makes it nice when you know everyone on the air.

Just be careful, Motorola is an addiction and there is a lot to learn. A very brain stimulating brand to play with.

Recommended 900 Handhelds
MTX9250
MTS2000
XTS2500
XTS5000

Recommended 900 Mobiles
Spectra, Enhanced series, 900 MHz, 30 Watt remote mount radios with A7 face (part number to look for D37KGA5JE7AK)
MCS2000 900Mhz Model 3
GTX mobile radio 900 MHz

You can of course get most of this hardware in VHF, UHF and 800.

Couple of good sites to dig around

http://www.batlabs.com
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/mojoindex.html
http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/spectra/index.html
http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/900mhz/plan.html

Glad to have another ham among us to help share traffic. Its a great hobby and tool for emergencies!

Where are you located? 30-50 miles can easily be had with a HT if the terrain supports it. Get an antenna for your ride and home and it will really shine. I don't know a ham that doesn't have at least one HT, so it's a good place to start.

There are a lot of options out there for base stations - even some somewhat portable. I had great success with an IC7000 for remote and home ops, but it didn't look like it would be so nice to repair if I had any trouble. I also had fun with my Icom756 ProIII, and that whole line had great options and can be purchased at reasonable prices. I now run an Elecraft K3; its highly regarded, and as you have seen, comes highly recommended. If I was picking a first radio, I would highly consider the Elecraft KX3 - it would be a great portable/base radio.

Spend some time searching for a club and hang out with them. If you are willing, most clubs will turn you into a sponge and fill you with knowledge.

Enjoy the hobby and keep us posted!

For about $150, on eBay, you can get a Yaesu FT-60R. It's a good little HT that's easy on batteries. For another hundred bucks you can step up to the Yaesu VX-7R. Both of these can be modified to have improved capability. Although, you might not want to risk your licenses using that capability. Excellent free software is available for programming them both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventh DOF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of these can be modified to have improved capability.</div></div>

What are you referring to here?

Thank you all for the advice.. I'll keep everyone posted on how this evolves for me and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge. Per one recommendation I purchased the ARRL 2013 radio handbook... Man, its huge!

So far, emails out to clubs for a week without a response... I'm trying to be patient, but don't have much of that!

I apologize for any delayed response here, but I have been trying not to put too much non-sniper specific equipment into the forums on the same note not responding to everyone is just rude, so here I am...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Matt,
Federal law prohibits HOA's from prohibiting
</div></div>

This is not true. There is a law against not being able to place receiving equipment primarily for commercial broadcast reception with very specific wording to that effect, it specifically excludes ham radio. The specific law is 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 which can be found on the FCC's website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to have another ham among us to help share traffic. Its a great hobby and tool for emergencies!

Where are you located? </div></div>

I'm located in the twin cities in MN. I live in the South East corner of the burb's - As the crow fly's, to cover the metro area of both cities and my friends on the other side, I need to reach a radius of 26 miles, preferably without repeaters. There is a good, reliable repeater system here, that can easily be hit with a HT which will be my starting point.

On the base / mobile side I think I'm down to one of:

IC-7000
TS-480SAT
KX3
FT-897D
FT-957D

For HT I already purchased a Beo Feng UV-5R, just to get on the air at all, which I might upgrade to a VX-6R or 7R eventually. Also purchased a better antenna for the HT, stock is crap.

Already getting familiar with programming software like CHIRP... So far so good. Now I need to look at mobile HF antenna's and home HF antennas. A lot more reading to do there.. already talked to a local expert that will do a site survey of the house. We will see.

I love the in depth information everyone here has. Keep it coming! I read it all and appreciate it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventh DOF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of these can be modified to have improved capability.</div></div>

What are you referring to here? </div></div>

Good question. What modifications? :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the base / mobile side I think I'm down to one of:

IC-7000
TS-480SAT
KX3
FT-897D
FT-957D </div></div>

Good set of options. I see a lot of hams on budgets opt for the 897 and hear outstanding reports. The KX3, though, would be a great addition for any ham.. so if you're expecting to grow in the hobby with a more feature filled base, it would still be an asset.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarnivoreMatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also purchased a better antenna for the HT, stock is crap.</div></div>

All HT antennas are crap, relatively. Check out an option like http://www.amazon.com/SMA-PL-259-Adapter-Cable/dp/B004280GQ4 to union into some standard coax and a base type antenna. It will really make a huge difference. I don't know anything about the specific item I linked to.. I made that connecter myself out of amphenol connectors and coax I had around. Good luck and have fun.

You've already bought an HT. And it's a B-Feng so it didn't cost a lot. I consider that initial HT that all hams seem to want to buy a "get it out of the way" purchase. They look sexy in all those ads that show the rescue guys pulling children out of rushing rivers. But in real life, they're pretty limited. You can hit some repeaters with them, but outside of that, you're pretty much limited to you and your buddy pretty close together, just like that pair of ch 14 Space Patrol walkie talkies we all had as kids.

I advise new hams to get a 2m mobile rig, power supply, generous size base antenna (dual or triple 5.8 wave) and an appropriate length of really good coax. With that you can hit every repeater in your area. AND you can talk simplex to a suprising number of people. As your antenna gets smaller and smaller, you get less and less signal both OUT and IN. A rubber duck on an HT is horribly inefficient, and you're putting out only 5w to start with. Rubber ducks have negative gain so your final ERP is virtually milliwatts. Contrast that to a triple 5/8 outside and a 50w mobile, your ERP is approx 200-300 watts.

THINK SIMPLEX -

Here in Phoenix, there are dozens of hams that routinely yak on 52 simplex. The logs actually show about 400 hams but that includes people traveling through, initial radio tests etc. It's very routine for us to talk to Tucson, about 150 miles and the CA border, also about 150 miles etc. Our longest simplex contact was one day around noon when we made contact with a pair of mobile guys near Houston, about 1000 miles. That was kind of a freak of nature, but none the less, we had mobiles in Phoenix talking to mobiles in Houston. Guys on mountain tops routinely talk 100-200 miles to us, all on simplex. No repeaters needed.

As far as SHTF communications, I always recommend taking a very honest look at the scenario. When zombies, aliens, crack heads, earthquakes or whatever are threatening, having the ability to talk with other hams may not exactly be useful. If I'm fighting off bad guys or purifying my pool water, the last thing I want/need to do is talk to some other hams.

HF - I've made contacts with essentially every continent on the planet on 5w phone, with a temporary wire dipole at less than optimal height from a remote, battery powered station in the desert. Some pics of my setup(s) and contacts map are at my webpages, www.n0eq.com

If you do decide that yacking with a bunch of other hams is what you want to do when the SHTF (or even if you don't), I recommend practicing putting up simple wire antennas made from whatever you have handy. Practice running on batteries. Practice making contacts on limited power, as will be required if you're OUT of power.

Try not to get caught up on the whacker, emcomm, donut eater orange vest scene unless that really appeals to you. It's really not what amateur radio is all about or does best. There WAS a time when hams had communications systems that might be able to fill in when public service and telcom systems went down. That just plain doesn't happen any more. Governments and Pvt Telcoms have expensive and redundant systems in place. Hams aren't going to be filling in for cops and firemen when the earthquake hits. I know that may open the door to some "But there was a time when ..." stories. If you want to volunteer for marathons and walk-a-thons, have at it. But be careful transferring that into some kind of "I'm a pseudo public servant in an emergency" mentality.

Use ham for what it's good for. Hobby communications. Talk to your buddies. It can be a blast.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
www.n0eq.com

+1 for Elecraft.

modular systems that can be upgraded with a simple kit as your experience/needs grow. I have a K3 but if you want to do satellite work outside or go hiking and throw up a wire on a mountain their new KX3 is definitely worth looking at.

also a Yeasu ft817 is a good starter

What equipment one runs really depends on what one wants to do with it. Personally I run a cheap little Wouxon KG-UV3D handheld radio and an old Kenwood TM-V7A for a mobile rig. Both are good units that will do certain things well, but they don't do everything well. And in the world of amateur radio nothing does. AS of recently I have been wanting to play around with some the digitial voice modes and thus I am going to have to get new equipment.

My point is that one needs to evaluate their needs/wants on a personal level to decide what is gear will work for them. For example if one wants to monitor their things like Fire/EMS/Police then they will be well severed with a Digital Trunking scanner. If one wants an HF/VHF/UHF base rig then ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu all offer good solutions but each has it's own unique features (things like echolink and D-Star features). In the world of HT radio the same thing applies. Now if you want to play in the world of digital communictions then that is a whole different bag of worms. Lots of technolgies and lots of equipment (some of which was not specifically designed for amateur use) is available.

With all that being said here is my recommendation. For a new ham get a good HT that works with your local repeaters. If no echolink/D-star/DMR stuff is around you then a simple analog HT will do. And get a good used HF rig. That will get you going. But if like most things on this site if you have the cash and really want to play then there are some expensive and fancy options out there.

On the FT-60R there's the MARS/CAP mod. which is removing resistor R1164. This expands the TX to 37 to 174MHz and 420 to 470MHz.

On the VX-7R you have a choice, remove solder from jumper 5 to perform MARS/CAP mod or remove solder from jumpers 4 and 5 to perform the freeband mod. Freeband mod gives you TX from 40 to 225MHZ and 300 to 580MHz. Unlike the FT-60R, on the VX-7R you don't have to disassemble the radio. There's a cover under the battery that gives you access to the jumpers.

There's info and videos on the internet on how to do these mods.

Modded ICOM 92AD and some F-60 handhelds, all waterproof and excellent short range comm.
Need to research bat options for the Bao Feng (Yausa), and excellent software programmable radio but doesn't hold a charge like quality units.

FYI you can wideband the VX-7 with the click of a button using the Commander software. No hardware mod required...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventh DOF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the FT-60R there's the MARS/CAP mod. which is removing resistor R1164. This expands the TX to 37 to 174MHz and 420 to 470MHz.

On the VX-7R you have a choice, remove solder from jumper 5 to perform MARS/CAP mod or remove solder from jumpers 4 and 5 to perform the freeband mod. Freeband mod gives you TX from 40 to 225MHZ and 300 to 580MHz. Unlike the FT-60R, on the VX-7R you don't have to disassemble the radio. There's a cover under the battery that gives you access to the jumpers.

There's info and videos on the internet on how to do these mods. </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventh DOF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the FT-60R there's the MARS/CAP mod. which is removing resistor R1164. This expands the TX to 37 to 174MHz and 420 to 470MHz.

There's info and videos on the internet on how to do these mods. </div></div>

Thank you all for your help. Just an update to this thread, and perhaps some more on the topic someone has an opinion about :) I welcome all feedback!

1. For a handheld I went with the Baofeng UV-5RA. I purchased a small Comet antenna to replace the rubber ducky. This seems to hit some repeaters around me. I have successfully talked on ECHOLINK with a friend in NC as my first ever QSO - it was a great start! It's not easy to 'browse' though - you really need to program it up with frequencies you know... so it's not helping me learn the bands much... on to something more involved now...
2. I JUST ordered my primary rig: It's a "IC-7000". This will serve as my mobile and base station rig, until I get sick of lugging it around. I did purchase the separation kit and appropriate mounting brackets for my truck. The radio does support 2 antenna connections - one for HF and one for VHF/UHF.
3. Mobile VHF/UHF: I have purchased a VHF/UHF antenna that will mount to either the hood or the bed of my truck easily with a small piece of aluminum I will need to find and bend into place myself.
4. I have my general license now - KD0UEX Yay!

STILL TO DO:
1. I need an antenna for the truck for HF. My plan right now is to purchase a screwdriver antenna and the IC-7000 screwdriver antenna controller. I'm still trying to decide but I think it will either be a scorpion or an alpine screwdriver for 10-80 meters. They both have great reviews, but the scorpion is much more expensive. I may also use the screwdriver for the house as a ground plane antenna - which might work well as I need to be stealth about the household antenna.

2. I need to finalize a UHF/VHF antenna for the house. I am looking at the Comet GP-15, however I do not have a high probability of getting that approved by my HOA. As a second choice, I may build a portable ground plane antenna (instructions from ARRL) and simply put it up when I need it, OR find a smaller antenna I can have outside with little to no real footprint. Anyone know anything real stealth for VHF/UHF (Specifically 6m, 2m, and 70cm) I can install at the house? I would love to hear about it!!

3. I need to finalize an HF antenna for the house, that's also stealth. One consideration is using the screwdriver from the truck, via a quick disconnect mount, as a ground plane antenna.. But that will get old quick... Another option is to mount a multi-band dipole antenna of some kind either along the inside of my privacy fence (6' high) or under the eves of my house (20' - 22' high) and paint the wires to match (ensuring it stays stealth). And the 3rd option I could find was to consider a Disguised Flagpole Antenna (Custom Made, instructions from DX Engineering, Al Parker N4AQ) as flagpoles do get approved without issue. Of course, I could also do something in the attic.. But I'm uncertain what I would do there exactly. If anyone has any ideas on stealthy HF antennas, preferably covering 10 to 80 meters, but certainly covering 10 to 40 meters I would LOVE to hear it... any ideas out there???

4. I'm now researching base station rigs - as I'm sure I will get sick of yanking out of the truck all the time quick, and I am a gadget-gone-mad person... The more the better I say. While this #4 will be a long time in the making, I feel I am on the right track with what I have purchased, and really just need to get some antenna's figured out!!

Thanks for all the help everyone... I hope someone out there has more to add regarding antennas. I do have a book called "HF Antennas for all locations" (from a recommendation here) but it is quite technical and theoretical - I will be reading it for some time before I fully understand its contents and can place them into practical use.

Matt

I also am new to Ham Radio. Are there any opinions on the Yaesu FT 857D mobile and the Yaesu VX8DR handheld?

Are there better choices for SUV installation and handheld? If so, I am all ears about why other units are better.

Thanks in advance.

I also am new to Ham Radio. Are there any opinions on the Yaesu FT 857D mobile and the Yaesu VX8DR handheld?

Are there better choices for SUV installation and handheld? If so, I am all ears about why other units are better.

Thanks in advance.

No advice on the VX8DR, but I'm picking up the 857-D for my HF rig. I use Motorola for portable handhelds.

I would stay away from the 857 and 897. The 450 is a way better radio, and you can make your own portable kit with it that is the same size and weight as the 897. The 8x7 is dated. The only one to get in an 8x7 is the 817 because of its size. Otherwise, skip the 8x7 series.

Are there any opinions on the Yaesu FT 857D mobile and the Yaesu VX8DR handheld?

Watch out asking "Are there any opinions". The answer is a resounding YES! I've found that everyone has an opinion in this hobby. If sky's the limit I'd recommend the IC-7000 for mobile - handling HF/VHF/UHF with excellent control over the DSP - its what I finally purchased and find it very simple to operate and navigate the menus, and I'm as new as they get to this hobby. The manual is a great help too. In my research the 857D was a good rig as well, the IC-7000 really topped it a bit though and gives me all the bells and whistles one could ask for out of 100 watts.

For any install, based on what I've looked at, I would at least recommend something with a detachable head for easy of mounting in your SUV, which includes both models herein.

HANDHELD: The VX8R vs VX7R is that it also has: ARPS, Bluetooth modules, GPS module. If you don't need those in a HT, the 7R is cheaper. I do not own either right now, but want to get one. Both are submersible and should work fine with local repeaters or in very short range. The guys who have been hams for some time normally do not recommend a HT for a starter, as they are low power, harder to operate, have lower quality audio, etc and can really get you out of the hobby faster thinking its all crap.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, I'm just learning this myself!

If anyone has any ideas on stealthy HF antennas, preferably covering 10 to 80 meters, but certainly covering 10 to 40 meters I would LOVE to hear it... any ideas out there???
I have a 132' OCF (1/3-2/3)NVIS antenna that will load on 80-6 meters via a LDG AT-100 tuner.
(In fact I have used bed springs with that tuner and talked to Ca. many times w/100watts.
The NVIS will get you 250-400 miles w/o issue. Mine has a 5% + reflector that is laying on the ground and I have tried 2 at 4 ft from ctr but on this dirt the single seems to work best. You can get away w/o a Balun depending your drive wattage.
I went with a 4-1 Balun and still used chokes on the feedline (RG-8U) as when I drive it hard, I want to make sure no RF is running the cable as my Grandson does not need that experience. I feed mine underground in PVC for concealment and to date, not even other hams have found it, w/o telling them where it's at.
Under the eave will work well also. I put a 80 meter loop on a friends roof and he says it works great. For 2 meter down to 440 if you have to hide that as well, I'd do a J-pole in a tree.
I'm lucky no restrictions here, 3 HF antennas 160 to 6 w/o more than enough chipmunks to get most anywhere. Two 2 meter to 440, and 3 microwave, with one being on a Gimbel.

Look at Bao Feng

It's hard to argue about a device that costs less than the battery for others, although the TYT seems to get better reviews.

I have two Icom radios, but the next may be a TYT. To get your feet wet, I think their price is right
- I'm an Extra, but have not felt the urge for shorter waves...yet :)

On Amazon:
Baufeng UV3R = $34.98
BP256, battery ICOM 92AD = $39.99
TYT TH-UV3R = $53
417Rb59przL._SY300_.jpg