• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

first range trip with m1a....

awz1287

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2011
North Carolina
So I went to the range on Monday for the first time with the m1a. I used some American eagle 7.62 fmj 150gr. And some American eagle 7.62 for m1a otm 168gr. The weather was calm, and in the low 60s. I have to say I'm in love with this rifle. It is my new favorite rifle.

The only problem is now I wish I had the money to set up another one in a ebr stock. That is now next on my wish list.

Anyway after I got it sighted in. And got used to it I was able to get groups around 4"-5" with a few being 3 1/2". The distance was 25 yards at first then 100 yards. I was shooting standing with iron sights.Not the best groups but this is my first time with this gun.
Are these groups normal for a first time User?

Re: first range trip with m1a....

I've shot fairly decent groups with the 168 gr pills. I would suggest trying to shot the groups from a more stable position (prone, sitting, pretty much anything but standing) before I'd worry to much about group size.

Re: first range trip with m1a....

Get a good shooting sling. Sling it up on your arm and shoot from the prone position. With some practice you should be able to get 3" or so at 100 yards with those irons. My standard will do 1 - 2 MOA with 155 gr handloads. I too love the rifle.