• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

first reload's 308 win

scxmod

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Honea Path
just got done with reloading my first 308
done 20 starting at 42gr and working my way up to 46g
4 each. varget cci primers col 2.800
168gr amax.
can't wait to get to the range and shoot and see:D:D:D:cool:

Welcome to the Hide! I recognize Honea Path from my Duke Energy days. If I remember correctly, not too far south of Charlotte. you will probably like your load centering around the 45+ grs. for the 168.

On my Savage 10PC - 20" barrel, after an OCW test I settled on this load. Hornady match brass, CCI 200 primers, COAL 2.800, 168 gr. A-max, 44.3 grains Varget. Averaged 2615 ft/sec. from a 20" tube. I played around with higher charge weights, but my groups really started to open up.

thanks for the info. I will post test results when I get to go to the range. hope to go this saturday
and im about 2 hours south of Charlotte

I loaded some of my first ever rounds last week. 12 of them.
168 smk
43.0 gr varget
winchester brass
Coal 2.80

Got .5 3 shot groups, which means almost nothing. The rifle really seems to like 175 smk, and got my hands on some this week. WIll probably load 20 of both 168 and 175. Feels good to finally be loading! Good luck!

Welcome to the Hide! I recognize Honea Path from my Duke Energy days. If I remember correctly, not too far south of Charlotte. you will probably like your load centering around the 45+ grs. for the 168.

I did one load test with 168 Amax and 44gr of Varget with great success, and on another test 43.4gr of Varget. It's slightly confusing for this new reloader. I've quickly learned that my $30 hornady digital scale isn't as accurate so I think I will just take more time and use only my slide scale...until I can scrape more money together to get a better slide scale. I'm running a lee safety scale right now... Lol It's rudimentary but it gets the job done.