• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

"First rifle" advice needed

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
Howdy all, I'm interested in getting into some long(er) distance rifle shooting and I'm in need of a little advice about gear. My intended uses are punching holes in paper at out to 600 meters, and possibly hunting later on down the road (I'm not a hunter as of now).

I've decided on .308 since I have a healthy amount of bullets for it already (although none are good match type stuff), and I don't reload. I've decided on the scope (more important to me than the rifle). I'm selling a Colt LE6920 to buy a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32. I REALLY like the looks of this scope and the reviews. I also like the weight, size and capabilities of it. For rings and base I'll be getting Badger stuff.

Now for the rifle. I won't have time to buy the rifle for a while so while I'm saving pennies I want to plan it out to get the best bang for my buck (pun intended). I'd like the rifle to be light enough to hike or hunt with, so I've ruled out the 700P. The LTR is a nice option but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm partial to the looks of the wood stocks from Accuracy Innovations:
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/remington/remington-700-rifle-stock.html

I'm also not too enamored with the looks of the barrel profile on the LTR. So here's one question I have, if I already know going into it that I want to replace the stock and possibly even the barrel or the bottom metal, is there any point to buying a complete factory rifle or would I be better off buying an action and having someone throw a barrel and my choice of stock on it? Would it be a lot more expensive to go the latter route? And with that in mind, is there a good source for Remington 700 short actions that are new?

Any suggestions are welcome, even if it's just to tell me I'm a goofball. I've learned not to take too much seriously.
grin.gif

Re: "First rifle" advice needed

Welcome to the Hide,
Stick around here more and you will bend to the dark side,( tacticool). I would recommend holding off on that scope, for 600 meters I think you are going to want more power, and as far as rifles go, a Rem 700 is a good choice. Watch the "For sale section" here and I am sure you will find your dream rifle for a good price.
SScott

I agree buy the SPS Tactical. I believe it's the best out there for the money until you really get into it.

As far a scope goes you are on the right track, but I would get more power. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5 x 22 that I like alot and makes a great hunting scope. I also have a Leupold Mark 4 8.5 x 25 that has yet to let me down, some like to bash Leupold I geuss because there not tacticool but I own a bunch of them and have yet to have any problems. They both get the job done. As far as the rifle goes, I would buy someones build. You can find some bargins if you are patient and know what to ask and where too look. Another good online classifed is longrangehunting.com. Make sure the rifle was built buy a known smith that has a reputation for good work. It will cost more than a basic 700 but will be cheaper in the long run if you do any mods at all, plus if you havent ever dealt with a funsmith, well lets just say you need to be very patient.

Just my opinion, but...
Buy a semi affordable rig if you are just getting into long range shooting. What you think you want now will definitely change after you get some experience. Personally I'd search for a used SPS tactical or something along those lines, mount a decent scope and find what factory offering your rifle likes. Practice, practice, and more practice and if you are anything like me, by the time your groups look respectable at 500 or 600, you'll know what you want and what will fit your needs and have someone build it for you.

Thanks for the great advice Gents!

Lineman 711, that is the same thing I tell people who are just getting into 1911's. It makes sense here too, thanks.

Couple of things.

Hunting rifles are hunting rifles, and should be optimized and reserved for walkabout, snap shooting. Also, any hunter of mine is going to be a .30-'06. Heavy match barrels aren't on my short list.

For LR precision shooting, up to 600-800yd, I favor a shorter barrel of a heavy profile, and for longer distances, a longer barrel pleases me. .308 is fine, I prefer .260.

Oddly, for beyond 1Kyd, I begin to favor the .280 Rem. Better sectional density than .30 cal, and from a more capable case capacity than the .308. 7mm LR bullets have improved greatly of late.

Greg