• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Rifle, Remington 700 help!

The Dane

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Denmark
Sorry for the long post...

I am from Denmark and the numbers of rifles to choose from is limited.

I have been reading this forum for a while, and want to get into LR (or medium long range 100-600meters)
I have been shooting huntingrifles the past 17 years but never further than 200meters ;-)

I am looking at the Rem 700P LTR or the rem 700 XCR LTR in 308
The reason is that i need a rifle mostly for hunting medium game and also for developing skills at further distance

I am planning on using the rifle "out of the box" with maybe a leupold mk4 and a harris bipod on it.

Is there any difference in precision between the two of them?
which would you prefere(if not considering price difference)?

Please feel free to comment

Thanks
The Dane

Re: First Rifle, Remington 700 help!

There's a lot more people out there with more experience than me, however having owned Remmys and other rifles I would say that the Rem 700 is a solid bomb proof basis for a long range rifle on a budget. However I've not had a 700 that hasn't had a new stock, trigger and other 'tweaks' to get it to what I want.

For an out of the box rifle I would reccomend a Tikka T3 varmint - ugly stock but it does the job, great trigger and fantastic accuracy. A few after market bits and pieces are now starting to become available (Manners are now bringing stocks into the UK) so customising in the future should be possible..

So you recoment the tikka T3 varmint, perhaps the tikka T3 tac? aswell?

any other comments on the rem. or tikka for a fist choise out of box rifle?

that tikka t3 tactical sure is sweet, it pretty much has all the work done to it already, it is a out of the box shooter.

i don't know how your country operates as in getting rifles but the tikka will do well for you.

do they allow detachable magazines in your country?

this rifle has that setup if you go with the tactical.

As far as the remmys go the LTR in your caliber of choise would work great. They are good rifles and need minimal work. I would not rule out the T3 thou.

I hear great things about the T3s but I tend to be more of a Remington (700) fan because of the easily found aftermarket parts. The XCR has a Bell & Carlson fiberglass/composite stock on it with the Aluminum bedding blocks built in. They also have that new trigger that is adjustable from the exterior. If I were you I would most definitely have it glass bedded though, which the gunsmith is going to cuss you because the B&C stocks have a webbing that tends to be a pain to touch up after bedding work..

we are alowed detachble magazines in denmark

been looking at the T3 but like the looks of the rem xcr better.

stil need to be convinces that the rem has the best out of box accuracity? even when doing no mods at all?

whats about the bedding, it comes fullu aluminium bedded?

thanks for the replies

For an "out of the box" rifle, I'd take a Tikka. The rems popularity is largely due to the vast number of after market add-ons. In a side by side comparison, I'd put my money on the Tikka for accuracy every time. But then again, I don't limit myself to whats in the box and I like to customize stuff to suit my liking.

Bedding, if done properly always helps.

Try and shoot both if you can...

IMO you will find the overall finish to be a little higher or better on the tikka's, the bolt is glass smooth, and the trigger is as good as most of the after market R700 single stage ones and can be adjusted to around 1.5lbs weight with just a few turns of an allen key... The remmy VSSF i shot had machining marks on the receiver and an awful trigger was very pretty tho.

Downside to the tikka is the expensive magazines and some say the plastics however their light in weight durable and easy to clean so get my vote.

Roedale Precision make a few tikka upgrades now and will have more done by the end of the month

I guess I'm a little biased as i have a Stainless Varmint in .223 but it shoots .5 MOA all day long (tikka guarantee sub MOA performance a testament to their product)

I will be looking into the tikka tac, have yet to find a store that has one used for beeing able to try and shoot it.

looking much at the rem xcr ltr and the 700p
which is to prefere of the two? i have read that it is the same barrel but different stocks.
if i want to by one of them and not plan on changing the stock, which is to prefere?
is there any difference in accuracy between the rem´s?

Thanks

Anybody able to answer the obove question on difference between 700P and XCT 20"
any difference in barrels?
any difference in acuracy?
which to prefere?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stil need to be convinces that the rem has the best out of box accuracity? even when doing no mods at all?</div></div>

You want us to <span style="font-style: italic">lie</span> to you?
laugh.gif

the rem ltr is a great gun to suite your purposes....i just picked one up and am putting a leupold mark 4 and harris bipod on it aswell...there are better hunting rifles out there and better tactical rifles too...but for one that does both I think you picked a good rifle. i think the accuracy will be just fine with the ltr and if you really like percision shooting you will want upgrades which is one reason remmy's are so popular...even thow your not customizing your rifle now, you eventually will

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stil need to be convinces that the rem has the best out of box accuracity? even when doing no mods at all?</div></div>

You want us to <span style="font-style: italic">lie</span> to you?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I would expect you to come up with a alternative that you find better and for you to debate to me why

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ath23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the rem ltr is a great gun to suite your purposes....i just picked one up and am putting a leupold mark 4 and harris bipod on it aswell...there are better hunting rifles out there and better tactical rifles too...but for one that does both I think you picked a good rifle. i think the accuracy will be just fine with the ltr and if you really like percision shooting you will want upgrades which is one reason remmy's are so popular...even thow your not customizing your rifle now, you eventually will </div></div>

Okay thanks.

stil wanting to know if there is any practical difference in the XCR 20" and the 700P though?