• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Rifle

boose00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Hey everyone First post so be gentle!!

I want to get into shooting in the near future and am limited on funds $1000 at the most.
Looking for a long range rifle that is bolt action (for better accuracy) and i really like to .762 bullet. Would you guys have any suggestions on what would be a good starter rifle?
thanks

Re: First Rifle

+1 on the Remington 700. I would go with the LTR over the PSS as I hate the 26" barrel. I would look for something between 20-24" personally. Also, for a precision tactical rifle I highly recommend buying a new weapon as opposed to a used rifle. This is one of those instances with firearms where it does not pay to take the cheap route and look for a used weapon. Without knowing the exact history of a particular used weapon you have no way of telling if the barrel was properly broken in, cared for, what type of ammo/loads were put through it, how many rounds have been put through it, method and frequency it was cleaned with (very important), just to name a few things. that type of uncertainty is not something you want to chance if you hope to shoot sub MOA.

Just my 2 cents,

J2T

i buy used when possible.

let the first buyer takes the hit for driving the rifle off the lot, very few shooters out there put enough rounds through their rifles to make a dent in barrel life. buying new does not guarntee a good barrel.

i would rather have a barrel that was NOT "broken in" and cleaned too much. amature barrel care ruins more barrels than shooting does.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical $600.00
Super Sniper 10X42 Optics $315.00
EGW Base $ 50.00
Burris Xteme Rings (low) $ 48.00

A little over but worth it.
grin.gif

Rem 700 or Savage 12. Buy used if you can. For a starter rifle it will be good to save some money for ammo and optics. Buy used base and used rings as well. If the above were used it would look like this.
Rem 700 SPS Tactical $500
Super sniper 10X42 $275
EGW base $40
Burris Xtreme Rings $30
This leaves room for ammo!!!
Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Remington 700. I would go with the LTR over the PSS as I hate the 26" barrel. I would look for something between 20-24" personally. Also, for a precision tactical rifle I highly recommend buying a new weapon as opposed to a used rifle. This is one of those instances with firearms where it does not pay to take the cheap route and look for a used weapon. Without knowing the exact history of a particular used weapon you have no way of telling if the barrel was properly broken in, cared for, what type of ammo/loads were put through it, how many rounds have been put through it, method and frequency it was cleaned with (very important), just to name a few things. that type of uncertainty is not something you want to chance if you hope to shoot sub MOA.

Just my 2 cents,

J2T</div></div>
Thanks for the info everyone! LTR and PSS... what do those mean? remember I am a total noob!
How does the remmington work with someone like me who is left handed?
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boose00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Remington 700. I would go with the LTR over the PSS as I hate the 26" barrel. I would look for something between 20-24" personally. Also, for a precision tactical rifle I highly recommend buying a new weapon as opposed to a used rifle. This is one of those instances with firearms where it does not pay to take the cheap route and look for a used weapon. Without knowing the exact history of a particular used weapon you have no way of telling if the barrel was properly broken in, cared for, what type of ammo/loads were put through it, how many rounds have been put through it, method and frequency it was cleaned with (very important), just to name a few things. that type of uncertainty is not something you want to chance if you hope to shoot sub MOA.

Just my 2 cents,

J2T</div></div>

They do make Remy for South Paws also!! Personally, I would prefer the LTR over the PSS, but there is also a price difference depending on your budget.
Thanks for the info everyone! LTR and PSS... what do those mean? remember I am a total noob!
How does the remmington work with someone like me who is left handed?
thanks </div></div>

LTR- Light Tactical Rifle
PSS- Police Sharp Shooter
SPS- Special Purpose Synthetic

I have seen several SPS rifles brand spankin new in the firearms for sale forum in the mid $500.00 range. Just keep an eye out. Good luck and happy shooting! Your not the only newb here (I'm one too!)

M700 P(PSS), LTR, 5R MilSpec, VS, VSSF, etc..... The HSP stocks on tem vary, mostly in the size of the palm swell, so try a few on for size, pick the one that feels right and shoot as much as you can!!! Good luck! BTW - all the models listed above will also serve as a great base to customize once you figure out what you need/want after shooting it in its factory configuration....

Buy a left handed rifle. I am left handed and have both a savage model 12 and a remington 700 in left hand. It will be about 50 dollars more but if you are left handed it is almost a must.

i just bought a fn pbr xp with a near picatiny rail already mounted. new in box gun and rail for $699. it has a 20 inch fluted barrel, i havent shot it yet so i cant testify as to the accuracy, but for the money, i felt like i was getting alot of gun. hope this helps, and good luck.

OK, you're left handed, but which is the dominant eye?

If it's the right eye, and since it's a first rifle; maybe it could be a better approach to learn to shoot rightie from the start.

The standard newbie loaner 1000yd rifle my buddy and I provide when bringing newfolk into the 1000yd F Class game is the Savage 12BVSS .308 . Another choice, with the shorter 20" heavy barrel is the Model 10 Precision Carbine in .308. If you're only planning on shooting out to about 600yd, or longer distances are a major trek, these same rifles can be obtained with the .223 chambering.

These will only leave about $100-$150 for optics and mounts, but with modest optics, you can get started, and upgrade the optics later.

Modest starter optics might include the Tasco VAR624X42M, which can be found retail for around $80. It is a MilDot scope with 6-24 variable power, focuses down to 15yd, has 1/4" clicks and covered target knobs. More costly scopes will have a better low light imaging, but aside from that, it's surprisingly adequate for the price. Once it's replaced by something more costly, it can still be an excellent scope for a .22LR practice rifle.

Greg

boose00, Sniper2230 has Remington SPS Tacticals for sale in the firearms for sale forum. I believe he is asking $575.00. This would be a great rifle to start with at a reasonable price!

I can't recommend enough the savage 10fp. For the price you are hard pressed to find anything better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i buy used when possible.

let the first buyer takes the hit for driving the rifle off the lot, very few shooters out there put enough rounds through their rifles to make a dent in barrel life. buying new does not guarntee a good barrel.

i would rather have a barrel that was NOT "broken in" and cleaned too much. amature barrel care ruins more barrels than shooting does. </div></div>

+1 on that..