• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes first S&B range report

30cal user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2008
SE, LA
I purchased a S&B 4-16x42 P4F on the hide recently and today I used it for the first time.....I used a regular bubble level to mount the scope with BO rings

The first shot w/ 155 gr. Scenar's from Corbon was DEAD on, on 4 power at 25 yards, but 6 mils low, I am new to FFP/mil scopes, I just dialed up 6 mills and I was good to go, seriously, two shots at 25 yards and I went to 100 yards, how cool is that???

After moving to 100 yards I was a little low still so I used the reticle to determine my adjustment, 3 mills up, next shot dead on!!! Next I read the instructions about how to set the zero stop, un screwed two screws and set the ZS and never moved it the rest of the 47 shots....

I left it on 14 power the rest of the day

I had a good day and look forward to more shooting with this scope, anybody on the fence shouldnt be anymore, just get a matching mil reticle and everything else is easy....

I will forever purchase FFP-mil/mil-ZS scopes

the P4F reticle is awesome, I wish I could purchase 2 more!!!

also, mine says "1 Klick = 1 cm" does that mean it is a german model??
GEAUX TIGERS!!!

wby308_4.jpg

Re: first S&B range report

S&B makes the best scopes in my opinion. I don't think you will regret your purchase. I love all of mine, my only complaint is the price!! Unless I'm mistaken, they are all made in Germany. A few years ago I sent a 10x42 (one inch tube)hunting scope back to have a 32 centimeter turret put in it. It went all the way back to Germany to get worked on. I don't know all the details about S&B, I just know they make great scopes.

they are amazing scopes, just got my 4-16 in this week that i ordered from bauer arms

i love the scope, like you i wish i could afford more

Oneshot976 finally talked me into upgrading to S&Bs! I ended up buying 2 from Adam Bauer and haven't looked back. I don't think you'll have any regrets!

Good Luck,
Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I'm mistaken, they are all made in Germany</div></div>

I realize that, just didnt know how many others have click, spelled like "Klick"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHARRIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oneshot976 finally talked me into upgrading to S&Bs! I ended up buying 2 from Adam Bauer and haven't looked back. I don't think you'll have any regrets!

Good Luck,
Jay </div></div>

It costs me $6k just about every time I talk to Mike too... that f'er
laugh.gif

Glad I'm not the only one.

There are lots of great high end scopes on the market. I have tried them all except for the new Vortex/Hensoldt. I wouldnt feel like I was compromising much with any of them, but I have to say I am glad that I ended up with the PMII.

I have a 5x25x56 Gen II XR reticle shipping tomorrow from Alex.
My only disappointment was that I wanted a Mil turret to match the Mil reticle but the scope came with MOA turrets and he will not have one with matching MIl turrets for at least 6 months so I caved in and told him to send me the one with MOA turrets. I hope I don't regret caving in and having to convert Mil's to MOA later on.
I am excited though as it will be my first S&B and it is good to read the postings here.

Am I correct in my calculations in that the turret being 1/4 MOA adjustments that 4 clicks will equal 1 MOA and that 1 MIl equals 3.6 MOA therefore 14.4 clicks will equal 1 Mil in adjustments?

Thanks
Gary

Some of mine say Klicks and some say Clicks...kinda like the "K" clicks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHARRIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oneshot976 finally talked me into upgrading to S&Bs! I ended up buying 2 from Adam Bauer and haven't looked back. I don't think you'll have any regrets!

Good Luck,
Jay </div></div>

It costs me $6k just about every time I talk to Mike too... that f'er
laugh.gif

Glad I'm not the only one. </div></div>

Wait a minute!! How do I get blamed for this? I think we all three wear the shoes of persuasion from time to time!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotswood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Am I correct in my calculations in that the turret being 1/4 MOA adjustments that 4 clicks will equal 1 MOA and that 1 MIl equals 3.6 MOA therefore 14.4 clicks will equal 1 Mil in adjustments?

Gary </div></div>

Yes, 4 clicks = 1 MOA when using 1/4 MOA turrets.
No, 1 MIL is not equal to 3.6 MOA. It is equal to 3.6" @ 100 yds.
1 MIL is roughly equal to 3.5 MOA... that's what I use as my conversion.

Jay

If you want to be precise, remember that:

1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6 inches
1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047 inches

Therefore, one mil = 3.6/1.047

So, 1 mil = 3.438 MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to be precise, remember that:

1 mil at 100 yards = 3.6 inches
1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047 inches

Therefore, one mil = 3.6/1.047

So, 1 mil = 3.438 MOA
</div></div>

Precisely, you are correct. However 3.438 MOA is a little tough to dial so 3.5 MOA works the best in my experience.
wink.gif

The difference between 3.438 and 3.5 is about 2 percent. (1.8 percent, actually.)

At 1000 yards with a .308, 2 percent of the drop is about 8 inches.

So, whether you can tolerate that error depends on how far you're shooting, and the size of your target.

I agree....

I have used NF, USO, MK4's, Zeiss....

For what I do and my eyes, the S&B is on top....

I will say that I have a 5x25 and a 4x16. It seems that the 4x16 always finds its way onto the "rifle of the week" for me. I just seem to like it a little better than the 5x25...dont know why but it does..

Have fun and enjoy....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference between 3.438 and 3.5 is about 2 percent. (1.8 percent, actually.)

At 1000 yards with a .308, 2 percent of the drop is about 8 inches.

So, whether you can tolerate that error depends on how far you're shooting, and the size of your target.
</div></div>

Valid point, I usally dial as exact as my ballistic calculator or my range card tell me and use hold over if a quick correction is needed.

Thanks for the correction guys. I appreciate it.
I read that there is a good ballistic program for my i phone "ballistic-field tactical edition" and "Windspeed" that I can download and I will then have my yardage drop converted to both Mil's and MOA's and have the wind for my location. I figure no math is involved then. I can use Mil drop figures if using the reticle for hold over and Moa drop figures if using the turret.
I am looking forward to my first S&B. The 4x15 in this picture looks great.
Gary