• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Season Hunter - 108gr ELDM?

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
I took my first deer/buck two weekends ago. For that hunt, I used a 14.5" AR w/ 64gr Winchester Deer Season XP. There was no indication that I hit the buck (no hair, no blood, etc) but I luckily found the buck 50 yards away. Once processing I was able to confirm both lungs were taken out & found the bullet inside the hide on the other side; retained weight of 40gr. However, with no blood/indiciation of a hit, I would rather not use my AR again. My only other rifle is a 6BR PRS build - shooting 108gr ELD-M @2850fps. I'm very confident in this rifle and my skill to place an accurate shot. I know ELD-M is highly recommended for long-range hunting when FPS drops off. What is everyone's thoughts on ELD-M @31 yards? I figure the best place to shoot would be high neck/head...

Would you feel confident in a general broadside shot to lungs/heart?
Absolutely. I shoot almost exclusively "match" bullets for hunting. From 18 to 1365 yards, putting a match bullet in the right place has worked for me and my family that mooches my rifles.
From .223 69SMKs to .308 230 Hyb. And just about everything in between.

Reactions: S3th
I don't care what bullet, cal, cartridge, rifle, etc you choose, results can vary a lot and every now and then, deer will still run off with a well placed shot and leave absolutely no blood trail. I've been hunting all my life and have seen a lot of stuff. Sometimes they take off gushing out puddles of blood, sometimes they fall dead where you shoot them.

Last season I shot a big bodied deer that left no blood trail. I was able to hear the bullet thump on the animal and that was my indication that I hit it. No other signs were seen. The buck was about 80 yards in the thick heavy brush of South Texas and did not leave any sort of blood trail until about 30 yards inside the brush. When we found him, he had a golf ball sized exit. Just sharing this so you know to go look for your deer after you shot him even if you think it was a clean miss. I'll post a pic of my buck by the way.

Back to your original question:
Yes, the ELDM will work great on deer. The ELDM like of hornady bullets has a great track record of being a great hunting bullet. Good Iuck!!!

20181201_130902.jpg