• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First set of reloading dies

Re: First set of reloading dies

Ok, flame suit on - get a set of Lee dies with the neck sizing collet. You even get a shell holder for under $30. I loaded a lot of 308 that shot MOA with Lee dies before I thought I needed something "better." I have Redding and Forster dies but I would never look down on Lee dies. Spend your money on bullets and brass and get to the range.

"Are these a good set of dies for the beginner loader?"

They sure are! It often seems those of us who are tool freaks get so enthusiastic about our favorites that we forget that more common and less costly tools do virtually as well, in fact just as well for a LOT of shooters and rifles.

I also agree with the suggestions above that you consider the Lee Deluxe die set which includes Lee's excellant collet neck sizer (and a shell holder). I've measured quite a few individual dies from most makers and find that, on average, there is about as much variation between dies of the same maker as there is between makers. There is little to choose between makers except some unique user features we may or may not prefer and that's just preference, not "quality".

Excellent. At this point. I'm not looking for a specific feature set, as I am just getting into reloading. I suppose I'd like to get a GOOD and rather inexpensive, i.e, a quality set of dies to start, and then make the jump to some 200 dollar dies when the time comes and after thousands of loaded rounds, I assume I'll learn more about these features.

With that said, the Lee Deluxe is a good bang for the buck?

Thanks again everyone!

Josh

hey mate, i think you will do fine with a lee set, i was put in an unusual set of circumstances whereby i bought a redding FL sizing die, and pretty much got a lee 3 die set for free, becasue they couldnt get the redding 3 die set in time for me...

this is for my 223 and i am producing damn accurate and consistant reloads...

my 308 die set is lyman, and i dont see any difference in consistancy or accuracy.

cheers mate, jimi

If you are reloading for an autoloader use the Redding dies. The Lee collets work great in a boltgun but their standard dies just don't have the internal finish that the redding dies do. Redding makes a body die that you will need with the collet after a number of reloads. Also keep the collet fingers well lubed.