• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First shooting with the Savage 110 FCP in 338 LM

Hoverp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
Ok so after the build up I fionally got to the range today.

Range weather was 15 degrees up to 27 degrees and no wind, DA went from 1500 to 2300 ft. actual altitude was 3400ft ASL.

Step one :100 yards
9 rounds of LAPUA 338LM,300g Scenar FACTORY loads 100 yard bugholes, just to get my zero established. Average vel 2739FPS. nice looking SD and serious bugholes.

Step 2 : 200 yards
20 rounds of hand loaded NEW Lapua brass, fed 215 match magnum,300 grain Berger Hybrid gen 2. ALL loads were 90 grains of H1000.

.010 off lands didnt like + 1 moa average group size
.025 off lands didnt like + 1 moa average group size
.000 (ON LANDS) "LOVED it HALF INCH GROUPS ALL day at 200 yards." held 1/4 MOA all day. avg velocity was 2716. SD of 6-8 FPS. Brass/primers looked great. no pressure issues at this temp.

next up longer range testing with .000 load (now with once fired Lapua neck sized brass)starting at 300 yards and going out from there.

I have confidence in this gun so far, I think it is a shooter.

P.s. Loved the Nightforce scope!

Re: First shooting with the Savage 110 FCP in 338 LM

Nice shootin'! I did a simpilar test, but I started at 0.000" all the way through to 0.080" jump in 0.010" increments. My BA likes 0.030" jump. I ended up with this at 212yards...

2cdkbie.jpg

What dies are you guys using? I have been sizing with standard FL RCBS dies and am getting cases STUCK in the chamber on EVERY round. I have tried 0.005 through 0.025 off lands with Hornady 250gr hpbt bullets. 96gr retumbo. no pressure signs on the primer and base. I have also trimmed this LAPUA brass to 2.714" and still sticking. I *almost* give up.

Ive been using forster benchrest dies and 89.5g of h1000 with 300g smks and havent stuck a case, never have tried retumbo but 96g sounds like a hot load but no pressure signs huh? Doesnt sound like a sizing problem unless they are hard to chamber.

Looks good. I've been considering a Savage.

I'm switching from retumbo personally. I have a 110BA also. Usingthe rcbs dies too. Get sticky cases at 91-92. Sooty necks happen constantly. Maybe the dies? Thinking the powder is a big factor. I'm pretty new to all this but have read other accounts of the same thing. Factory ammo never is a problem.

My experience with Retumbo is that it is sooty.

Seems to be very consistent and not temp sensitive and I get slightly higher velocities in my 338 LM with 300gr Scenars out of it as compared to H100, but it is dirty.

Had these same problems. Good luck now though. 91.5 gr retumbo, lapua brass made a big differance. what was sticking the nosler brass is not sticking the lapua. since i new it was sticking the nosler brass with 94gr but not the lapua I decided to go with less on the lapua brass also just to save brass life. as far as temperature depended <span style="text-decoration: underline">with retumbo, I have the same FPS at 90 degree as i do at 50 degree on my pro-crono.</span> 2756fps with SMK 20thou off lands and using the RCBS gold metal bushing die, the bushing is the .365. You will get way better case-neck consentricity with a bushing die every time. Im also experimenting with redding comp shell holders for shoulder bump instead of full body sizing. And im shooting the 110BA, and so far me, I think it is a very good shooting rifle.

I have a Savage 338 LM as well and have the sticky bolt problem on almost any load with Lapua brass or other brands. It doesn't matter if they are mild or hot loads.... I used RCBS and Forster dies.

Turns out many of the 338 LM Savages don't like the brass being very long. I had to start trimming all brass to just below specs.
Haven't had a problem since!

ya, I trim mine to .002 over trim length<span style="font-style: italic">(2.716)</span> and under max case length. That is good to do anyway so that the case does not run into the end of camber and start crimping onto bullet as it is leaving. That will make for more preasure and uneven bullet tension and make good bullet runout into bad runnout.

All part of the fun making up a good load though.
smile.gif
I was told once that the 300gr bullet would not stablize by 100 or even 200 yards. But turns out I have 5 bullet holes touching each other in a 1/2 inch group at 100.